Roleplaying a Disability

Hey! I'm creating a PC and I've got the idea to have a character with a limp. This would be a serious limp--preventing my PC from close combat, running, etc. I don't have a limp IRL but I feel like this could really have an extreme effect on my roleplay experience, both positively and/or negatively.

So does anyone have any experience roleplaying a limp or another disability they don't have OOG? How was your experience? Would you recommend it to others? This would be my first PC, though I have NPCed before.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give! :)

A guy I PCed with for a few events tried using a limp for a few games. After the first game he said it was so uncomfortable and awkward that it actually got him limping from soreness, and slowly "got better" over a few events so he could quit playing it. It's a single case, second hand, but it's all I got on this one.

I mean, depending on WHY your character has a limp, it might be healed away or disappear when he ressurects. If you don't like it after you tried it, there's plenty of ways around it

Walking with a limp can create Hip/knee issues. I would recommend avoiding it.

SkollWolfrun said:
Walking with a limp can create Hip/knee issues. I would recommend avoiding it.

This is also true. I've seen a lot of people in the med station that have been faking injuries for so long they actually acquire them.

I've faked a limp for another game before (back in my old mind's eye theater days), and that was a short 5 hour game. Man, by the time those 5 hours were up, I could barely walk straight. I was usually sore the next day too. I would so not recommend it unless you found a limp that was more show that real...

I would recommend a disability that does not impact your ability to walk for the reasons others have said.

Options include: Mute, blind (such as a blindfold you can see through), stuttering, colorblind (black and white), immobile arm, OCD about something (or everything), a nervous tick, or even deaf.

Sarr are colorblind by default, even, if you wanted to roll with that - although I suspect you would be hard-pressed to find a self-respecting sarr who treated the fact that they can only see shades of grey as a disability. :)

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I didn't even think about RL health issues popping up due to limping--I'll have to rework the idea. I do like the concept of an immobile arm, though. Pretty similar. But maybe something else is better for an ongoing disability? I'll ponder it.

kowaiyoukai said:
Thanks for the heads up, guys. I didn't even think about RL health issues popping up due to limping--I'll have to rework the idea. I do like the concept of an immobile arm, though. Pretty similar. But maybe something else is better for an ongoing disability? I'll ponder it.

It's hard to justify, imo. Pretty much everything can be fixed with magic, although an 'at birth' issue might be doable.
Idea I toyed with was being 1 armed. Did a weekend with only 1 eye, that messed up my depth perception and couldn't hit a thing.

Another thing ou might want to keep in mind is that having a disability is going to exclude you from a LOT of things in game. You might not think about it, but even at peak physical condition you might not be able to cope with some of the things that are physically asked asked of you, let alone with an impediment.

I have two thoughts to add.

One, you could turn your disability into an asset. As in, take on an assist role while other non-disabled PCs do the grunt work. Be the rogue who's a lookout, be the archer that fights from the back, be the healer, be the alchemist or artisan or teacher, etc etc etc. There's plenty of ways you could be useful in combat and on mods besides being a frontline fighter.

Two, you could do something extra interesting roleplay-wise with your disability. For example, you could be a blind character who wants to be a magistrate or who tells fortunes. Or you could be a one-armed blacksmith. Or you could be a messenger who's deaf and mute.

My point is, there's plenty you could do that would be both useful and entertaining. I know you're super smart, so I'm sure you've got sone good ideas floating around in that head of yours! :D

Limping is a bad idea. This is an extreme example, but Hugh Laurie (Dr. House) has complained and noted in multiple interviews that limping on set has caused him discomfort and pain in the years of shooting.

Useless arm, stutter, deafness, or anything else that doesn't actually alter how you move is a better way to go.

Mute is a hard thing to play, it will make your RP difficult. Be prepared to carry around a notebook, pen/pencil, light, and not be able to scream for help if you need to.

I wouldn't take something that limited your enjoyment of the game. If you have a disability which slows you down too much, for instance, you're not likely to be recruited for the group that gets to go on the module to sneak in and out of the enemy camp.

This is similar to the advice we have in the Rule Book about creating a "loner" character who sits in the back of the tavern and broods. We're a game where we try to create fun for every player no matter what, but if you limit yourself voluntarily it certainly makes it much harder to get the most out of the game.

Instead why not make distinctive characters with different accents, clothing, mannerisms, fears, delusions, beliefs, prejudices and so on -- all of which can be just as "disabling" role-playing-wise while not limiting you in the more physical aspects of the game. (Much of our game is practically a sport, after all!)

So as "the guy with the limp" I gotta say it is limiting. I have a real limp due to a bum foot and a ton of nerve damage. I walk with one for most of the event and it does limit what I can do and go on (it slows me down a lot). So if you want to RP one properly you will have to limit yourself to certain mod types. That being said, I have no issues with people faking a limp for a character and would be happy to share more on how to make it look real, if you wish.

Back