RP question

John

Artisan
This is a question of rping effects.

How do you play the paranoia diffrent then fear in a battle situation?

With paranoia think "EVERYONE" is out to get you.

I gathered that but is there any good way to play them differently. I haven't thought of a good way to make the two seem different enough.

Hey John,
So, if Sean or any other Actual Rules Marshal wants to correct me on this, feel free, but:
Fear and Paranoia are mechanically different enough that the roleplay should, consequentially, be noticeably different. Fear requires the PC to attempt to break the line of sight of the thing that caused it at all costs, unless doing so creates a safety hazard; paranoia does /not/ require this, only that you must RP your character's utter conviction that everyone is plotting against them.
So, you know, Fear? Run screaming. Paranoia? Refuse to let anyone see your back, tell them you don't trust them, back yourself into corners - there are a lot more options there than "I must now fling my screeching, useless body across the field".

Kris is correct.

Also, you can use skills while Paranoid. I've seen players go full offensive when hit with paranoia and start laying waste to everyone around them. Fear does not allow that option.

Once upon a time I took Paranoia and ran into the woods because I couldn't possibly win a fight against the field full of people who were out to get me, but first I clawed up the poor Biata who had used Break Command to cure the Sleep I'd also taken. Someone followed me to look out for my squishy scholar, and I know I can kill him if I see him when he enters my packet range, so I started trying to do so. It was a good time.

So Fear is only effected between the target and attacker? If this is the case then there is my problem. I must have misunderstood Fear asjust causing fear overall triggering the need for flight as more part of the overwhelming odds type thing. *face palm* Thanks all for helping clear up my confusion and misunderstanding. I have a much better idea on how to handle the situation next time.

Back