Rules on Carrying a body

Beaky

Hey I was talking to some friends and we got on the topic of carrying bodies. we were talking about who takes the effect if you are carrying a body and the body gets hit by an effect, people instinctively seemed to say the person carrying it takes the effect, but when we double checked the rulebook we could not find any rules on carrying bodies/downed people.

I can find a few parts that elude to it being possible but no rules around how it works or its stipulations. This seems like an important thing to have in the rulebook.

Edit: I might have found it here, it seemed pretty hard to find though. "Since a dead body can’t be targeted by most effects, if it’s being carried by someone it will count as a possession unless it is a valid target."

Last edited:
Answering as an Owner from Minnesota:
Pg.24 of ARB 2.1 states “There are some effects which will specifically work on a
dead body; these include Life, Create Undead, and
Corrupt. There are some potent Ritual magic effects which
will also target a spirit specifically and will thus work on a
live (or dead) body so long as it contains a spirit. Since a
dead body can’t be targeted by most effects, if it’s being
carried by someone it will count as a possession unless it
is a valid target.”

TLRD: If the body is dead and can’t be the target of the effect you take the effect.

I will say though that there are many circumstances which this ruling could be not possible for a player to follow.

For example if a player without healing arts comes upon a sleeping body and carries them to safety and an enemy hits the body with a doom. How would we expect the player to know whether or not to take the effect or not because the carrying player would not have knowledge if the body took that or not.

A better example another sleep gets thrown which would reset the sleep of the sleeping player but how would the carrying player know this?

Upvote 0
Back