Rumors from Zephyr Bluff

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Hello again!

I heard that the adventurers are coming out to Bomae, and by the sounds of things, it looks like the Viceroy will be housing you near Zephyr Bluff. It’s pretty scenic, but the Bluff definitely has a bit of a reputation for being a “problem area” and is far from the safest place in Bomae, that’s for sure. So I made my way out there for a bit to keep an ear open for what the locals are saying nowadays, since I figure even a few little bits might help when you would otherwise be going in blind.

Here are some of the more noteworthy things I heard people talking about:

~

“On my evening stroll the other night, I spotted something big soaring through the sky off in the distance! I thought it might be one of the griffins… but then it exploded, and I’m almost certain griffins don’t explode.”

“Best of luck to those poor folks going after the Bonesmith. I remember a few months back when he and his son took over the old Naris Mine, and it was just a slaughter.”

“Adventurers from Gaden are coming? Well, there goes the neighborhood.”

“I’m not stupid enough to try for it, but Buff says he’s offering good payment to anyone that can bring him a yeti pelt.”

"You ever wonder what those creepy red Desmodu think is so funny?"

"I want to grow up big and strong so I can identify magic items someday!"

“Sure, their machinery and bombs are really strong and crazy dangerous, but the Gelkk themselves are actually pretty polite when they come to call.”

"Ever dropped a copper in the well in Rimespring Cave?"
"Uh, no? It's been frozen solid for decades."

“Disjunction? That sounds painful. I’ll stick to Wind Striding, thanks.”

“I swear I’ve heard whistling sometimes when I’m up near some of the peaks. Probably just the wind, though.”

“There was a dwarf in the tavern the other night just fuming about some fancy axe stuck in a rock in some cave. Said he couldn’t get the thing to budge, no matter how hard he tried.”

"I got jumped by a gang of Desmodu yesterday, but the Perfect Storm rolled in and saved me from going to the circle!"

"Something's got my yak all anxious... I can tell by the look in her eyes..."

“I can’t believe it! I set down my sword for just a few seconds to lace my boot, and a falcon swooped down and snatched it up!”

“He can try to fancy it up all he wants, but that unifeather of his is never going to be stylish.”

~

Hopefully that will help at least a little. Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but I... haven't been feeling very well lately and wasn't able to stay long out at the Bluff. I'll do my best to come join you for a bit when you arrive, though, and I hope that your time in Bomae goes as smoothly as it can!

Regards,
Quinn Pele

What's a Gelkk?

~Keladry

Fortunately, that's about the only question about what I heard that I think I actually know the answer to!

The Gelkk are the "tinker lizards", blue lizardfolk that live in dens around Bomae's outskirts. Despite being pretty savage and undeveloped in most ways, they have extraordinary and unparalleled talent when it comes to anything mechanical. Nobody's quite sure why - there's just something in their heads that makes them really good at it, I suppose. They love to make clockwork constructs and a whole array of different traps mechanisms, and I have to agree with what I heard that those can often be pretty dangerous. However, the Gelkk definitely weren't very polite when I encountered them... They tried to hit me with swords, blast me with their lightning glands, and send their constructs after me when I went through their tunnels a few years ago.

Regards,
Quinn

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the information, Quinn!

~Keladry

My mind hears the words "Perfect Storm" like it is a name. Or am I wrong and it was simply good and lucky storm at right time?
-Ragnarok

Back