sad sad news

My parents are happy to take the awesome table back and store it as needed, I'll just need to coordinate with them on when to get it.

OMGs, Jesse. I know I'm not really a presence at game anymore, but reading this has just made me so angry for you. On so so so many levels.

I do hope, when everything rolls out, that this becomes nothing more than a setback for you - that you have not only the energy but also the time to regroup, and find a better location. With that in mind, I want to say two things:

* If you need a GoFundMe for a real estate lawyer for a future round of this to help lock everything tight, I would happily donate to that. I may not have much, but I'd find a little something for that. I doubt I would be the only one.
* There are ways to proactively manage the mundanes. Granted, it's a little different when you're buying land surrounded by homes than when you're moving into a hotel for the weekend, but I'd be happy to be involved in any brainstorming/planning on how to make sure the people around you don't feel threatened/weirded out by the group.

Let me know if any of that eventually sounds useful.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. People are narrow-minded or short-sighted, and when those things collide, it's frustrating as h***.

How soon do you need us to remove our items? We can be a backup for babysitting one picnic table if you don't have enough people.

medium sized picnic table. Fits 6 snugly.
I don't care if they stay outside at this point. If you're feeling frisky, you can put a coat of sealant on it. lol

Mac- Cool table w chairs.
Jerilyn- picnic table #1.
Nissa- picnic table #2.
Mandi- picnic table #3
Amber - book case
Trace- Mike's picnic table
Gabbie- picnic table #4 and #5
Leora- wash stations and ice chest
Tyler Thompson- picnic table #6 and 7

I will provide transportation of items in my van and trailer if we can coordinate a massive transport/delivery day! lol

Thx!

Last edited:
Jesse, I can store the hand wash stations and possibly the ice chest depending on how big it is.

Jesse, I mentioned housing the bookcase, not the dresser. Just fyi. Though if someone can help bring said dresser up north from down there, that'd help. I don't have transport means.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure I can store a table or two on my deck if need be. I have plenty of garage space that could be utilized for other things also, if there's need. Would just require some reorganization.

Rather disappointed things turned out this way. I'm curious about the legal underpinnings allowing them to actually draft a cease and desist. Are there covenants they're claiming you're in violation of? I'm seeing mention of zoning laws... is that where it's coming from? I have a few connections in the legal community, as I'm sure so do others, that might be able to assist.

Overall unless they're claiming you're in violation of some ordinance or covenant... it's your land. The neighbors and county can take a flying leap.

Pretty sure I can store a table or two on my deck if need be. I have plenty of garage space that could be utilized for other things also, if there's need. Would just require some reorganization.

Rather disappointed things turned out this way. I'm curious about the legal underpinnings allowing them to actually draft a cease and desist. Are there covenants they're claiming you're in violation of? I'm seeing mention of zoning laws... is that where it's coming from? I have a few connections in the legal community, as I'm sure so do others, that might be able to assist.

Overall unless they're claiming you're in violation of some ordinance or covenant... it's your land. The neighbors and county can take a flying leap.

Unfortunately if the land purchased was zoned residential and is being used to host the LARP, which is technically a business, it's more than likely going to be in violation of Residential Zoning Laws, despite whether the neighbors said they were ok or not with having the LARP nearby initially. RZLs tell you how many buildings can be on a piece of property, animals of certain type etc. And there are specific rules about running a "home business" in RZ properties in terms of parking, entrances etc. So yes, it's "your land" but it's not really.
On top of that, if the easements roads to the land on which the LARP is being held is owned by private owners, that can cause problems, as that is now creating unnecessary traffic patterns on land owned by someone else.
I work for a company that deals with zoning laws all day, and having to get permission from land owners to build structures on their land. It's a long legal ordeal involving leases, Title Reports, adjusting zoning of the property if needed, zoning hearings, zoning hearing denials, finding new land, and starting over....
Even commercially zoned properties have their limits in terms of how much parking can be accommodated on the parcel, how close it can be to other types of businesses (not really applicable here since we're not an "adult entertainment" operation), access roads, public and private entrances.

I do hope things work out for everyone. I've met some great folks from the Denver chapter, and I love to see a happy outcome for the chapter.

All the things Krystina just said... so much so....

I updated the list of items with people's offers. AMber I corrected the item.
If I think of anything else, I will post more item requests!

Thx!

From a legal perspective de-commercializing the event would be fairly easy to do, placing the burden of proof on whoever is doing the complaining. Ironically enough (considering the inquiry from the inspector asking if you ran a cult) the easiest way of doing this would likely be to just create a church on paper, shunt all event fees through said church, and claim game weekends are church events held on private property.

Ultimately, though, regardless of establishing legality, the question ends up coming down to dealing with the community. Obviously there are "concerned citizens" (read: passive-aggressive assholes) around. Usually those types of people have more time than sense on their hands, and may end up blocking the road or otherwise turn to property damage to take out their frustrations. I can understand if the option to sell the place seems more appealing than dealing with a hostile community.

Just as a friendly reminder to everyone participating in this thread, Alliance's website forums are accessible by the public. Anybody, including neighbors, county officials, and so forth, can easily find this forum and read what's posted here. I encourage everyone to bear that in mind while choosing their words.

Thank you, in all directions, for everyone's continued love and support of our shared community,
Trace

Agreed. They were super upset about our gofundme page as well. lol
Nissa, I can deliver it. What's your address and will you be around tomorrow night?
I have a site visit up north tomorrow night in your neck of the woods.

Jesse

Hey Bud,

We have both come a long long way from sleep overs at 11th street and playing DnD overnight. Its seems like you got a pretty good support group here but let me add my 2 cents to in to keep you putting one foot in front of the other. You got this, you have never ever given up on your dreams and have gotten farther with it than most of us who used to huddle in the upstairs hallway rolling dice. Keep it going and I promise I'll make it out your way to make a game real soon. I'll probably bring my new guy Mardex who is pretty much LoJo 2.0. You'll love him

William M.
25 years of larping
37 years of Gaming
and mostly with you!

PS: yes it says newbie, stupid boards!

Back