Sarr and Hissing

OleanderSky

Artisan
Marshal
"Sarr will rarely purr and they do not meow. Growling before a kill, or letting out a blood curdling roar to terrorize the enemy is looked upon as the spirit of the hunter."

I have plans to play a Caracal Sarr. Caracals are fairly small and hiss like pissed off house cats, but they are wild and can take down antelope so I see them as within the scope of hunting cats. Would hissing be a valid vocalization for a Sarr?

That would be fine. The general point of that section is to emphasize that Sarr are to be played as fierce and wild, not tame or domesticated.

I've seen players hiss.

I've seen them make just about every concievable cat noise except the cute little housecat meow. If its appropriate to the type of cat you're playing, it's all good.

Some Sarr scare me the most without making any sound at all.

:(

I hiss, I snarl... I snarl a lot actually... I scream/roar, I growl, I chuff... and yes I do purr when I find myself a good sunbeam or am getting a back rub. If I were a cheetah, I'd chirp instead of roaring.

The only time I've ever meowed was when playing with the baby one of our players brought to the event, because it entertained the baby.

Its also worth noting that some race packets have notes about those same vocalizations.

I've only read the National packet and Nine Towers. Nothing very specific in there, but I'll go with the consensus here on hissing at things that deserve it.
Rather than make a new thread - regarding Sarr prosthetics, the national packet suggests the option of fangs with upper and lower pieces. Are the lower fangs required when using upper fangs to avoid confusion with vampires, or are upper-only fangs a PC option?

I actually don't use any prosthetics at all outside of a tail, which routinely tries to get me killed, and dreadfalls that look like a mane. I've found that my own unique naso-cranial anatomy makes any sort of facial or oral prosthetic non-functional for me.

Last edited:
I'd like to use fangs because I like how they look, I just don't want to break any PC vs monster rules. Wearing a mask isn't on my to-do list at all. I can't touch liquid latex adhesive and will pass on the hassle of trying to use medical adhesive.

You can use fangs however you like. I know a dryad PC that wears upper-only fangs because she's a carnivorous plant.

Back