Sarr ears

KialdaLoa

Scholar
New Hampshire Staff
Hi folks!

I'm working on costuming for my secondary character, who is gonna be a cheetah Sarr! :D

I was wondering if there is a RULE about ears, or if there is a generally accepted consensus. I know I'd rather do all make-up than get a prosthetic/mask, so keeping that in mind... Do Sarr have human-shaped ears (just painted to match color), spirit-gum'd cat-shaped ears over real ears, or some form of scarf that can hide their human ears and have fake, furry ears on top their head (on a well-hidden head band, or something)?

As far as I can tell from the HQ race packet, it looks like ear make-up requirements are just painted human ears or spirit-gum'd ears over real ears.

If there is no hard and fast rule, does anyone know what is generally most used and looks best?

Thanks! :D
(Also, any other sarr-related tips for costume or RP would be appreciated! Feel free to PM me!)

There's no hard and fast rule - I've seen sarr with round ears (me, off the top of my head), pointed ones (my wife), and fuzzy ones on top (this character named Ellie).

The look, I think, depends on the rest of what you have going on. My wife wears elf ears backwards, giving her profile a slightly more fierce and sleek look. The girl with fuzzy ears was more "innocent", so those worked for her. Really, its up to what you think looks good, helps you get into character, and fits the image you want to project.

I generally look at the base cat. A bobcat should probably have the pointed ears because it's a very bobcat trait. I don't wear ears for my jaguar because jaguars are generally just more blocky and blunt shaped.

I believe all of those options are acceptable, and I have seen.

As far as costuming goes, Lyonshels are a great place if you can stand having a mask. If not, get yourself some really great makeup. I also recommend getting a tail, and some of us go as far as getting contacts and teeth. Speaking of 'swoop back' ears, while wearing elf ears backwards, its sometimes uncomfortable.

I've snagged the 'swoop back' ears from aradani, and its definitely a lot easier. I also make the recommendation of heatgear/coldgear Under armor in appropriate color (so you don't have to constantly paint your arms) .

As far as RP goes, sarr are supposed to be the 'large cat' variety, and usually act as such. So growling, snarling, or more civil, depending on your character's background. I know they can range from more of the 'animal' side (myself included) versus the more civil side (Kuwo and Lhasa come to mind.)

Northfur, and Aradani are a good place to start.

If you have any other questions regarding your secondary, feel free to ask away :)

-Ali

KialdaLoa said:
I know I'd rather do all make-up than get a prosthetic/mask, so keeping that in mind...

For all make-up, I have the following recommendation.

Counterlights.

After you get your base coat on, and before you start getting into whatever spots or stripes you have, take a darker shade (if you're not going black panther) and at the inside upper part of the eye right next to the bridge of your nose, darken that whole area. Use the same shade to darken your cheeks *under* your cheekbones (like blushing, but not.) Take a lighter color or white and sweep the upper and outside part of the eye. The stuff up around the eye will help pop your brow ridge out, and the counter highlighting on the cheeks will help bring your cheek bones out for an over-all more feline look.

KialdaLoa said:
Hi folks!

I'm working on costuming for my secondary character, who is gonna be a cheetah Sarr! :D

I was wondering if there is a RULE about ears, or if there is a generally accepted consensus. I know I'd rather do all make-up than get a prosthetic/mask, so keeping that in mind... Do Sarr have human-shaped ears (just painted to match color), spirit-gum'd cat-shaped ears over real ears, or some form of scarf that can hide their human ears and have fake, furry ears on top their head (on a well-hidden head band, or something)?

As far as I can tell from the HQ race packet, it looks like ear make-up requirements are just painted human ears or spirit-gum'd ears over real ears.

If there is no hard and fast rule, does anyone know what is generally most used and looks best?

Thanks! :D
(Also, any other sarr-related tips for costume or RP would be appreciated! Feel free to PM me!)

I've seen all three. Personally, I aim for the latter two- I go with the third option (with a hood + hairband ears/scarf + hairband ears) but some of the locals also do latex ears over their own.

Inaryn said:
KialdaLoa said:
I know I'd rather do all make-up than get a prosthetic/mask, so keeping that in mind...

For all make-up, I have the following recommendation.

Counterlights.

After you get your base coat on, and before you start getting into whatever spots or stripes you have, take a darker shade (if you're not going black panther) and at the inside upper part of the eye right next to the bridge of your nose, darken that whole area. Use the same shade to darken your cheeks *under* your cheekbones (like blushing, but not.) Take a lighter color or white and sweep the upper and outside part of the eye. The stuff up around the eye will help pop your brow ridge out, and the counter highlighting on the cheeks will help bring your cheek bones out for an over-all more feline look.

For those of us who are visually inclined, do you happen to have a pic to help match to your description? Thanks!

-Ryan

Dr_Chill said:
For those of us who are visually inclined, do you happen to have a pic to help match to your description? Thanks!

-Ryan

I wish I did, but I have yet to end up in front of a camera where it can be seen outside of sunday morning just before event down, much to my annoyance. I generally avoid cameras, and the one time I want someone taking a picture I can't seem to get in front of one.

This lyonshel from the old stock (before they got bought by northfur) sort of shows what I'm talking about.

Wow, thanks for such thorough help, guys! Keep the tips coming!

It looks like I'm leaning towards some sort of ear-extension over my real ears. Anyone know where to best look for one that would be suited for a Cheetah? (Even just a Cheetah-ish shape, because their ears aren't necessarily pointed like your standard elf ears... If I found the shape, I could paint it myself, if need be...)

Also, the printed underarmor sounds like a good idea! In my brief looking, I haven't been able to find anything good, though... Cheetah spots, long sleeves... any more brilliant insights?

And I just thought of a third question! For that "counterlight" make up idea, are there any brands/types of make up that blend better than others? For my barkskin, I use brown and black Mehron liquid face paint, and I can streak that together pretty easily to make my face look like bark. I imagine a Cheetah face needs to have well-blended tan shades (For that lighting idea) and very distinct black spots and tears. Any detailed suggestions? If I use a powder or cake for my base tan, would using liquid make up for the black spots over it work? (Since I already have the liquid black, but would be looking to buy something tan to give me more consistent coverage.)

Thanks again! :) I hope to be playing her next season sometime!!

Personally, if I were doing cheetah make-up, I'd look for something more yellowish, since that's more of a cheetah coloration.

I use a liquid for my base colors (yellowish orange and white), then use a brown cake and a blush brush to put on my counter lights, then use black liquid to do my spots. I do a set layer over the base coat before moving on to counter lights and spots, then do a set layer over that.

I've had no problems getting the blushed on counter lights on over the dried liquid, not putting the liquid spots on over the blushed on powder.

I will do my best to get a picture this weekend, even if I have to put my cell phone in someone's hands and hold them at claw point until I get a decent picture.

1. I highly recommend Lyonshel prosthetics.
2. Just use painted elf ears.
3. Yellow is definitely the color for a cheetah.
4. Did I mention Lyonshel is great? ;)

Mike E.

Telokh_Amdo said:

Mike E.

Lyonshel is definitely the way to go... if a mask works for you. They aren't really for everyone. If you have any sort of sinus issues, I'd personally recommend only getting a lyonshel for short stints where you need to be in game fast and aren't going to be in game for long.

KialdaLoa said:
Also, the printed underarmor sounds like a good idea! In my brief looking, I haven't been able to find anything good, though... Cheetah spots, long sleeves... any more brilliant insights?

I'll fabric pen/paint a white one for ya', buddy :)

Oh, thanks Maggie! I may look into that with ya! My wish list currently includes finding base make up, under-armor (appropriate for HEAT) and socks that are all the same shade of yellow-tan, lol. Gotta make sure I find stuff that can match before I buy.

But the main reason I come back to this post is to ask more advice! -- TAILS!

Cheetah tails are super cool - they are spotty at the top, but then get fluffy and long... Cheetah use their tails like rudders to help steer when they run crazy fast! With a function that awesome, I can't attempt to RP a cheetah sarr without a good tail!

Where do you guys go to get good-looking tails? How do you attach them? Any and all advice is appreciated! :)

worst case scenario: get all white of the same fabric and then dye it the shade you want.

So, what I did... and I've been told it looks rather realistic in motion.

Got some jaguar print fleece and some black fleece. Cut a roughly 8" wide by my hip to calf length long piece of the print, and a roughly 8" by 4" wide piece of the black fleece. Sewed the black to the print. Fold in half and with right sides together, stitched at 4" from the fold. Rounded the black end. Cut triangles into round end to allow folding inside. Turn right side out. Fold approximately 2 inches over at open end of tail. Stitch down flat. Put regular old belt through loop.

It stuffs itself that way, and the stuffing doesn't move.

Inaryn said:
Telokh_Amdo said:

Mike E.

Lyonshel is definitely the way to go... if a mask works for you. They aren't really for everyone. If you have any sort of sinus issues, I'd personally recommend only getting a lyonshel for short stints where you need to be in game fast and aren't going to be in game for long.

I wore one for a season, and it was the worst thing I've ever tried to fight in. Lyonshels look great, and are excellent for faire type events, but for fighting they seriously interfere with your peripheral vision and breathing. Their old adhesive used to have serious issues once you started really sweating heavily as well, although I'm not sure if that's changed since the buyout. High humidity summer events meant I might as well not even bother putting it on, because it would be slipping within an hour, no matter how well I de-oiled and barrier sprayed myself.

People with beards need not even apply. The greatest part of the facial mobility on a lyonshel relies on firm attachment at the upper lip.

I have wire (clothes hanger) in my tail surrounded by pipe foam and then fur material. IMO, this gives it a nice curve and "bounce" to it when I walk, as opposed to just hanging down. I also have a small square of cardboard that fits in the small of my back to keep it in place and it's attached with a separate belt that gets hidden. I got the square idea from the hakama.

This may be my next sarr mask:

http://compositeeffects.com/silprod.php?prodcode=SMCAT01&refer=masks

I have one of their other masks on order, and if I like it I'm going to save up for the cat mask.

Lyonshels are also awesome and much less expensive. I've had mine for over 10 years, though my sarr is my tertiary so your mileage may vary.

Scott

Back