Seeing interest in a possible new Alliance chapter

Greetings fellow LARPers,

My name is Greg Meadows and I have been playing and running games in the NERO ruleset for the last 12+ years and participated in the creation of one chapter as well. I havent played the NERO or "national" game in 3 years or so for various reasons. Long time friends and prospective business partners and I have long been looking into and researching starting an Alliance chapter in the Northern Virginia/Metro DC area. What I am curious about is how many of you would travel to such a game once it got through the planning stage and was ready to roll? I see that Alliance is primarily in the NE and does not have a presence down here yet.

What draws many of us in my group to Alliance is very simple. We see an excellent incarnation of a game we all once loved very much, we see a lot less political infighting here, and we see an opportunity in a positive environment to create a truely enjoyable game for our prospective players. This is not meant to be a slam on or negative commentary on any other LARP or system. It is merely a reflection of our desire to do business in and play in a more positive and professional environment.

Our plan is together and financial matters settled. We will be contactin Mike soon to guage his interest and talk particulars. First however we wanted to see the interest in such a game in our area by you the most important folk of all... the players!

Thank you in advance for any and all comment or advice!

Gregory Meadows
CSC

AWESOME. Good luck.

A well run and entertraining game is always welcome -- and close enough to existing major market presence and far enough away to expand the franchise into new territory.

Coordinating your calendar with PA and NJ will be important - and don;t be surprised if you pull from as far away as Boston and Hartford areas. Winter games may be something you can offer, with more moderate winters than in the Northeast.

Best to you. And thanks for the remarks. Everyone in The Alliance can be proud of what you said.

I don't think you'll pull from MA or CT areas, as that's a long drive.

I live in the DC area (Rockville, MD) and staff at Jersey and when I can play Ohio. There are also a few players in Baltimore area that want a MD game as well. There was almost a Philadelphia chapter, but unfortunately it fell through before opening. I will be more than happy to talk to you in further detail about this (I'm sending you a PM).

You could get pull, many of us around CT and NY get out to NH events, and some of us are about 4-5 hours away from them. If you guys can support winter games and reach into the off season for NE chapters you will likely see a big pull Nov- Early Spring. Can't say how much life will let me get out but if you are running during the NE off season I will definatly be interested.

-Alex Hyatt

The only thing I'd say about a northern VA game is that finding a good site may be tough- most of the games that draw from the immediate area actually hold games further south down I-95.

That being said, I'd be happy to see one happen.

It's a 5 hour drive from DC to NYC without bad traffic (plus the Jersey tolls). NJ players that live in NJ may make it, as well as probably some PA people. I certainly haven't been able to justify making a CT/HQ event from here though - maybe I'm just not hardcore enough anymore. I made one NH event with carpool hoping along the way, but that was to see my brother who lives in NH.

Dave said:
It's a 5 hour drive from DC to NYC without bad traffic (plus the Jersey tolls). NJ players that live in NJ may make it, as well as probably some PA people. I certainly haven't been able to justify making a CT/HQ event from here though - maybe I'm just not hardcore enough anymore. I made one NH event with carpool hoping along the way, but that was to see my brother who lives in NH.

14 hours from Seattle to SF. I haven't made that trip, but we have players out here that do for a couple of games a year. It'd be 6 hours from SF to LA, and I'd do it in a heartbeat if LA had a chapter.

I suppose the distance you're willing to go is probably inversely proportional to the number of chapters near you.

More chapters is a good thing.

Inaryn said:
Dave said:

14 hours from Seattle to SF. I haven't made that trip, but we have players out here that do for a couple of games a year. It'd be 6 hours from SF to LA, and I'd do it in a heartbeat if LA had a chapter.

I suppose the distance you're willing to go is probably inversely proportional to the number of chapters near you.

More chapters is a good thing.

True statement. The Iowa players like me are all clustered in the middle of the state, meaning at least a 4 hour drive to either of the closest chapters. But we consider that a blessing since it used to be 8 hours to Kzoo!

One of our big players in Seattle is in the SF chapter. I know most people in SEA play the OR chapter too. There are a handful of us that got to SF. For OR games I have to drive 4+ hours. If the games are good people will come. I only ever intended to play OR 1/year. Now I am hooked. Three day events are a great way to get a good draw. Make a fiasco at of it an people will come. I guess the OR 3 day had twice the normal attendance. Last OR a lot of people from the 3-day came back (myself included). Then again the west coast is spread out between chapters and there are only 3 within distance of each other. Glad to hear you are interested in Alliance. Good luck with the chapter. :D

My current cutoff is a 4 hour drive... but then again, CT is an hour away, NH is 2 hours, Crossroads is 2.5, Jersey and HQ are both about 3.5-4 hours.

The NE is getting pretty saturated, so I say stay further south, because counting on people who have the options at least a few weekends a month of multiple games might be setting yourself up for disappointing numbers. Aim for new players.

Inaryn said:

brief interruption: as someone who lives in LA, i wholly support a Chapter appearing in SoCal. i don't have the money to start a Chapter but i pledge my life and soul as staff to someone who does. thank you, and now you may return to your regularly scheduled thread. thank you

It's possible that I'll be moving to the DC area. If so, I would be more than thrilled were this to happen!

*edit - And I think I'd be able to recruit some friends of mine from the general area to give it a shot, maybe flesh out your NPC crew nicely

Afternoon folks,

After much deliberation and prep I have decided that it is time for this idea to become reality. What is the best way to get ahold of Mike so I can discuss particulars with him? I can be reached at 571-242-6617. If someone can pass that along wit him I would greatly appreciate it. Also anyone with questions please feel free to contact me.

If all goes as expected I look forward to seeing you all in the field.

Gregory Meadows

Back