Seeking Knowledge on Dark Elves

Ehvarion

On my way back to Foxbridge for this coming gather I was ambushed in a sense by a group of dark elves led by a woman in a yellow tabbard, a fact that she seemingly made a point of making me aware of.

When my village was razed I was saved by a dark elf named Evyrid, I do believe I've mentioned his name before, who was clad in green and grey like the warriors he led into battle against the horde that assaulted my home. I get the feeling that perhaps this woman and Evyrid are not allies and perhaps may be at odds. This woman made a point of seeking me in out in person to ward me against the pursuit of my foe with a not so subtle threat of death in her actions after his name slipped my tongue whilst seeking information on other persons I am searching for whilst in Rendezvous.

While I am much inclined to heed this woman's warning I know that inevitably I will be at odds with her. Before they ordered my swift departure from my flaming village I was told by Yorig that they would call upon me. Whether this woman or I like it or not I am tied to the fight she so vehemently warns be against involving myself in. This woman also told me that she doubted I would ever locate Evyrid, Yorig, or my brother Eldrid. I fear she means to harm them for their knowledge of the dark foe that razed my home, dare I say his name.

If there is someone who is knowledgeable in regards to Dark Elves and could help me identify this woman or locate Evyrid I would be in your debt. Evyrid and Yorig saved my life, I owe it to them to save them if I can. Eldrid, though a coward he may be, is still my brother and I cannot let him come to harm for something I know he would avoid like the plague itself. I don't know what is going on, or why these particular dark elves are determined to ensure that those who know of this dark force detach themselves from involvement willingly or by force, but I will find out...I have to.

-Edarius Olmarin

Edarius,

I do not know you, but I recommend getting any information about Dark Elves -specifically- from Dark Elves, as I would not want you to accidentally dishonor them based on flawed sources.

Dark Elves are highly honorable, but don't take my word for it. Or anyone else's.

The next time you're in Sedovia, if you have the opportunity to do so, learn from them. They are a great people.

-Zeth

Any advice on interacting with them without causing offense? I've heard that folk frequently misstep when talking to them, and I myself had a poor interaction with one when I first came to Foxbridge, I still don't think I've been fully forgiven for that.

Friend Edarius,

What little experience I have with Dark Elves has taught me to be first and foremost polite. Secondly to be to the point {without being rude} and without much preamble, and lastly to be polite.

If you have already made a misstep, apologize fully, and ask if you may inquire about some of their kin.

I have found that Friend Arranin has been helpful when treated with courtesy, so he may be a good place to begin your inquiry.

I hope this helps.

Safe travels to you,

Amory

Thank you Amory, I will seek him out if he is in Foxbridge at the coming gather.

Always treat those that are of another culture with dignity and respect. I suggest always remembering the following two things. First that their culture is the way it is for reasons that may make absolutely zero sense to you, but became that way out of what may be a millennia of distillation and is the best culture for them. Secondly, you will make missteps and insult someone, accept the repercussions of your actions and move forwards anyways. Ask how you can regain your honor in the eyes of those you have insulted, and then do so. This can take many forms, from drawing steel and fighting the chieftan of a tribe even though you know you'll fail, to allowing yourself to be beheaded in ritual execution, to baking someone a pie, every culture has ways of making reparations.

I thank you for the advice Kel, I will keep that in mind in all my interactions. I would hope death isn't a common price of reconciliation though. Not sure if I could go along with that.

As amusing as it may be to hear your conversations in my dreams as though I were not here, it seems appropriate to speak up now. I will not be present in Foxbridge this coming weekend.

In general, I am willing to speak to those who approach me with respect and display honorable behavior. In most cases I (and others of my kin) will reflect one's behavior back upon them; if someone treats me rudely or dismissively, they will get the same magnified in return. If you intend to ask a favor of one of us, you had best be prepared to owe one in return and not quibble over the payment when the time comes due.

Know ahead of time that in general if you are in a dispute with another of our kin we will trust that they have good cause until it is proven otherwise. It is good that you are open about planning to end up "at odds with" another Dark Elf, but you should also know that this puts a mark against you before you even begin your conversations with us. Concealing that information, however, would have put you down two, so it is better that you are up front about it.

You can always send me a private message in the Dreamscape here, or approach me when I do return to town. There are others of my kin who are likely to be more available in the next few days; should you dare to speak to them, approach them with respect and be open about your position - and your potential enemies - from the beginning.

-Arannin Shifan Elansky, Lord of the House of Tyne

Thank you, Friend Arannin, for responding. My apologies for not contacting you directly, my mind has been... muddled... the last few days.

I hope there was no insult in our words, as I believe none was intended.

Safe travels to you,

Amory

Arannin, as always, your honor is impeccable. As you will not be here, is it acceptable to send Edarius to Tairin for information? I understand she will bee there, but do not know her house or position m'laird.

Thank you for that information good Lord Arannin. I would like to express that I have no desire to be at odds with any dark elf. The dark elf I mentioned inevitably being at odds with is something I would prefer to avoid. If dark elves have life debts in their culture then I without doubt owe one to Evyrid, and as far as I can tell he is open war with the one this woman is warding folk from hunting, and I doubt she approves of his hunt.

Good Lord Arannin, even if Evyrid were not to collect on a life debt, I wounded the one that razed my village. When I hurt him I could tell the concept of injury was wildly unfamiliar with my enemy regardless of the luck involved in landing that very blow. If he came after me to pay me back for that I would be forced into open conflict with the one this dark elf woman threatens me against pursuing setting me at odds with her. I do not believe I have a way of avoiding conflict with this woman and her companions. Please know that I would avoid conflict with your kin whenever possible. I am but a human, a young, brazen, and foolish one at that who has gotten himself involved in something bigger than himself, even if not entirely by choice. I hope you can forgive me for getting myself into this position. I have no ill will towards any of your kin, and I'd like to hope I can remain in, or find my way back into the good graces of you and your kin.

-Edarius Olmarin

Good Evening Edarius,

If time permits, I will be happy to discuss your dealings with my race, at the next gather. Please seek me out.

Dame Taryn Iyo Kanna
Kingdom of Sedovia
Knight of the Silverblades
Order of the Wind

I thank you for you willingness to speak with me m'Lady. I am honored that I, a human of no rank or even citizenship in your good lands of Sedovia, am worthy of your time to even consider speaking with when such pressing matters are before us with Lumos and his legions at our doorstep.

If time should allow, where might I find you m'Lady?

-Edarius Olmarin

Last edited:
My Dear Godson,

I apologize for not being more available of late. I am permitted precious few moments of respite during the trials I face amongst my sisters Ffinan.
You know you may seek me out for any needs you may have, though in this endeavor I am uncertain I have much to offer until I have completed my task and return to you.

The wisdom you've been gifted here by these more experienced in the nature of things afar and about Foxbridge is reassuring, I have often worried for your good fortune while I am away. I wish you luck in your seeking; be respectful always, learn, find what you seek, but remember my cautioning against rash action.
I would ask only that perhaps you stay your hand if you find what you are looking for before I am able to return Seer, or Druid.

You have my support young Edarius, and my love.

Please be safe,
-Corynn Wicklon of Wicklon.

It is good to hear your voice Corynn, it feels like an age since you left for Siofra. I do the best I can, and I can only hope that your teachings will keep me patient as I handle this situation. It is hard to put hunting down this foe aside despite the threats though I endeavor to do so at least for a time.

I'm still haunted by nightmares of this dark figure. My mind still replays the memories of my home's destruction in my dreams, but lately the dreams have changed as I've lived in Foxbridge and been reunited with you. Now I see my foe, his blackened armor, that crimson sword, and the aura of death that surrounds him and radiates out like light from the sun. I see him and his horde cutting down innocent villagers. I see him standing over the bodies of those I've come to know and fight beside here in Foxbridge with the town in flames around us. I see Muirgheal impaled on his blade in the same fashion as my late mentor Arvec, and you bleeding out on the ground ushering me to your side as the biata Thranwell did before his death. My foe then holds me up in air by the throat uttering the same words I heard leave his lips when he held me in the air as my home burned around me..."I grant you the gift of..." He never completes the incantation but I still feel the squeeze of his power sucking the life out of me. Then rather than being interrupted by Evyrid slamming into him his head shifts in the same direction just before we are both swallowed by the piercing roar of a pained dragon and a flash of white light that leaves me awake in a cold sweat. In these dreams I am paralyzed with fear as I watch all that I have come to care about be destroyed, helpless to stop it from happening, just as I was when my home fell. I'm filled each night with rage, and the desire to do nothing more than drive my blade through his heart. It is hard to contain that rage, and returning home did little to help me come to terms with it, I doubt I would have asked about my foe in Rendezvous had I avoided the mass grave that was once my home.

When this woman, this dark elf, threatened me in the woods I could barely think and act she instilled such fear in me. I can't help but wonder though if she knows my torment, if she has had to bear witness to the horrors I was forced to see when my village fell, if she has had to watch her loved ones butchered like lambs to the slaughter and everything she held dear reduced to ash and cinders. She demands my detachment from this matter on pain of death, and though I will certainly try, I don't know if I can. I don't know if it is possible for me Corynn. I don't know for how long I can hide away that pain and rage that is festering inside me like an infected wound. I will avoid my foe long enough at least for you to return. By then hopefully I will have found Yorig or Evyrid, and perhaps through them some answers.

I wish you good fortune in your trials Corynn. Your guidance is a gift from the ancestors and a light in the dark that surrounds me.

-Edarius Olmarin

Edarius,

The mind, in sleep, can oft be our greatest ally, or even our cruelest foe. Thank the ancestors you are not blessed with the sight beyond, that such dreams are simply that and not visions to come. You know of the war my people waged long before your time, when I was young but perhaps still much older than you now. Loss, grief, pain, the torment of such things is a deep wound that never truly heals. I can mend your body as easily as one might breathe but the pain in your soul is beyond all but perhaps the Elves of Stone's ability to tend to.

I hope the weight of years lends my counsel some force when I say that there can be no true good from acting out of pain, that vengeance is a sour taste and a powerful poison that corrupts a person as surely as chaos. Grief is a burden all who live long enough to lose must bear.

I know your need to seek retribution at least in what way I am capable of knowing another's feelings. I am not without such experience myself, and I would never rest judgment upon you for such a thing, but know that there is a thin line between revenge and justice. I would guide you to seek the latter, to mend your spirit in such an endeavor rather than risk the danger to your lingering innocence by pursuing blood for the sake of blood. In such a quest as Justice, know that the Kerns and I will be always at your side and you need not ever walk your path alone.

The ancestors watch over you sweet Edarius, as do I.

There is a place, across the water that runs through Fox Bridge where the trees part and on a clear day the sun catches the dew and unsoiled grass. If the wind blows it sounds as though the ancestors themselves speak their riddles and wisdom in the horsetail and fern. When you find yourself in doubt and of a troubled mind, seek this place and rest in the grass and wind and sun. Listen to the whispers of those who have gone before, perhaps they will bring you a touch of peace and enlightenment.

Pleasant pathways, quiet dells,
-Corynn

Back