September 2013 Opening Weekend Practical Questions

Traceroo

Rogue
Starting a thread for the inevitable!

How will Alliance Denver handle cabin reservations? To whom do we direct the list of players we want to stay in our cabin?

Will we have any idea prior to the evevent if there is ample cabin space for teams to get exclusive use of cabins, or if we should expect additional houseguests to be assigned at check in?

Thanks!
Trace Moriarty

Great Question! Here is what we have basically for players...
6 cabins that sleep 8 = 48 max
7 cabins that sleep 6 = 42 max

4 of those cabins will be= healer's guild, mage's guild, merchant's guild, and one for indoor modules. That still leaves us with 9 cabins. So... to answer your question, I will begin filling in cabins with full teams who are paid in advance. I will attempt to get most of the larger teams into the 8 person cabins first.

After discussing it with your team, and you find out who is going and who isn't to which event, it would be very helpful if one person from each team would contact Logistics@AllianceDenver.com and let us know who would like to stay together.

After hearing about all of your decorations, I am so stoked!!!

Keep in mind a few things...
1. There are to be no fires of any kind on site.
2. There will be food served in the tavern! Plan to buy a meal package online, bring your own non-perishable food, or a stocked cooler, or plan to leave site. Meal package includes breakfast both mornings and dinner Saturday night. We will also offer an a la carte menu for cash throughout the day Saturay as well. Players not wishing to carry real money on them may start a $$$ tab if they wish.
3. There is no smoking on site. Smokers will have to leave the property to light up... unless they have E-cigs. Then, just remove yourself to the parking lot so as to be Out of Game (OOG).
4. Our first site has no electricity in the cabins. This means lighting may be an issue. Bring lanterns and light sticks if you need them.
5. Small Propane heaters are allowed if needed. Make sure they are the kind that shut off if they get knocked over.

Any similar questions, please fire away!

Jesse
Owner/GM

I recognize that the words "no fires of any kind" really couldn't be more clear, and yet wishful thinking prompts me to inquire -- How about monitored enclosed lanterns, hurricane glasses, glass votives, etc. all used indoors?

Trace

Traceroo said:
I recognize that the words "no fires of any kind" really couldn't be more clear, and yet wishful thinking prompts me to inquire -- How about monitored enclosed lanterns, hurricane glasses, glass votives, etc. all used indoors?

Trace

Trace, at the moment we are finding out the specifics of both our insurance and of the sites we use. Colorado is also prone to fires because of how arid it is. After we've had time to settle in, our policies will probably relax. In the meantime, players will be disallowed from using flames for any reason except for lighters in the designated smoking area.

If you don't already own lanterns and such, you can actually find fantastic flickering LED versions of everything you've mentioned, or make your own by using a flickering tea light ($1). This has the added benefit that you can leave it completely unattended. I've actually made a bunch of different LED items, my favorite being a frosty globe filled with 3 color changing "fairies."

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=aps&field-keywords=flickering led tea light

Thanks for the link! I actually forgot that those exist... Now I kind of wish I'd remained in ignorant bliss since the choice of such a large selection is staggering! Somehow I managed to struggle through it, however. :emo:

Trace

I have a question about fires in the future- when there is snow on the ground do circumstances on fire-allowance change or? Im just really unfamiliar with how things work out here, California is equally fire-prone but the restrictions are a lot more 'meh, whatevs, keep it in the pit or...yanno.. you suck. But whatevs.' . Just a curiosity thing : )

How is the situation for lighting & mirrors in the bath houses at the site for the September event?

Trace

No fires of any kind, anywhere, even behind hurricane lamp glass and other things. Use many of the battery operated ideas others mentioned.

Also, as a note... Davion is incorrect... there are NO smoking areas in the game. All smoking will have to be done off camp, unless you have E-cigs, then you just have to move to an oog location like the parling lot.

As for light in the shower houses.... hrmm... better take those during the day.

Remember that this is just for the first camp in September. The amenities at Sky High are way better.

If you fear the cold, I am told we can bring small propane fueled heaters at night, but only if they tip over shut offs.

Jesse

Next question: Can we drive right up to the cabins at the September site?

Trace

Sure can, but I was told that you had to do it in such a way that your car had to be facing toward the exit in case of an emergency... yes, even if to only unload for 10 minutes. lol

Facing toward the exit of the cabin, or towards the exit of the camp? I know this is semantics, but I'd like to make sure I park properly, I generally like to park pointing towards the car's exit anyway... odd habit thing.

Other questions, tried searching couldn't find it:
What time are you going to start accepting arrivals to this weekend's event (Sept. 13th, 2013)?

When does "Check-in" start?

Will there be time before game-day start for a "New Player" orientation?

Is there a cut off time for check-in?

I'm trying to orient myself as best as I can for this event, but things I'm asking, I'm sure are being asked by others in their own groups.

Thanks for a great thread,
Klandaghi

Water - is there water access in every cabin, in a central location, or haul it more than a mile? Are the toilets of a flush variety?

Trash - are there receptacles, or do we haul out everything? How is it secured? And on a related note...

Food - Does food need to be secured against animals? Are the cabins secured against animals? (the 'cabins' at my old Boy Scout Camp were open air roofs on concrete slabs to store equipment under. I'm thinking there may be a bit more to these cabins, but I wish to make certain)

Emergency Plan - It doesn't have to be listed here, but is there one in place for all major emergencies that could arise?

Electricity - Also, refrigeration for those who bring their own food. You stated not in cabins, is it available in central locations, or nonexistant?

Terrain - Is there any lakes, rivers, or streams around the site? Are these forbidden areas OOG or IG? Any areas of erosion that are forbidden? Are we required to stay on the paths at all times? :p

Commisary/Inn: will the Inn stock other necessities/goodies besides food? Specifically, the clean socks and toilet paper everybody else likes to mention? :)

Thank you, but that's all I can think of for right now!

I can answer SOME of these questions, Klandaghi, since I'll be running check-in. Let's see...

1. What time are you going to start accepting arrivals to this weekend's event (Sept. 13th, 2013)?

Great question! Well, I know I'm planning to be on-site around 6 PM, so around then you should be golden! More specifically, we'll need Jesse for that.

2. When does "Check-in" start?

I plan to start check-in around 7 PM. I may be able to get started sooner, but this largely depends on any random difficulties such as getting lost on site or wacky traffic on the way.

3. Will there be time before game-day start for a "New Player" orientation?

I don't believe there is a "planned" new player orientation; however, there will be oodles of friendly, experienced players (experienced LARPers at the least, if not experienced Alliance players) who will be happy to answer your questions. If I have any free time during check-in, I'm also happy to help with anything you may need; however, as this is the first weekend event, I expect to be busy busy busy. If you have any questions before the event, you're welcome to email me at Logistics@alliancedenver.com as well.

4. Is there a cut off time for check-in?

We are going to be running check-in until about 9 PM, when we will transition into opening announcements. Anyone who was not able to get set up before then will be able to check-in afterward, but Jesse's got a schedule he wants to stick to! All the more reason to pre-register and get your character/skills/gear set up beforehand, to make this process quick and easy.

I know we're starting to sound like broken records, but there's a reason for it! Pre-registering and character prep make Logistics quick and painless, letting everyone get into game sooner!

Hope that was helpful!

-Mac McCammon
Alliance Denver Logistics

Bumping this thread.

(Helpful info and some more questions to be answered
-Jules

Hey guys,

Mac answered some of your questions. I will try some more.

A "New Player" orientation can definitely be had. Since I will be assisting Mac at logistics for a few, I can run a new player orientation just outside of check-in/NPC camp at let's say 8pm for anyone who needs it. As a general rule of thumb, I will always run this for new NPCs... at every event... always. I want them to feel as comfortable and knowledgeable as possible going out there in the big world! lol

I am going to summon ALL people on site to the tavern at around 8:55. I will start out of game announcements at 9 sharp. Whether you are ready to play or still in mundane clothing, you are required to be in the tavern at that time. After oog announcements, you may go about your business and get back to logisticizing... however, as my logistics helpers are players too, they might have to stay in game for a bit for the In-game announcements. Bottom line.... be ready to go in game at 855! LOL Or else you might be wiating a few for the logistics members to return.

Water - is there water access in every cabin, in a central location, or haul it more than a mile? Are the toilets of a flush variety? No water access in cabins. Central location-tavern. There are also pumps scattered around camp, but I am not sure how reliable they are. My recommendation- bring a case of water to be safe. You need to stay hydrated.

Trash - There are receptacle and they are animal proof. Find them as you approach your cabin so you know their whereabouts.

Food - Does food need to be secured against animals?
I always secure food against animals. Keep whatever you have inside your cabin and keep it sealed in a cooler or somesuch if it is perishable. You are welcome to use the fridge in the tavern, IF, we have room after storing all of our needed tavern food items for the weekend's meals.

Are the cabins secured against animals? They seem to be, but I am sure the errant mouse can find his way inside while you sleep. They somehow even ignore the strongest ward spells too!

Emergency Plan - Great question. The cars are not too far from the tavern. In teh event of some emergency, go to your car and get the hell out. lol Seriously, park *** in so your nose is pointing toward the road. I will have one car BEHIND the tavern as well. In addition, we have some people with us who are certified EMts, first responders, CPr training, former military, and the like. I will ask for these people to make themselves known at opening ceremonies, so we all know who to yell for during an injury.

Electricity - There is no electricity in cabins, just in logistics and tavern. Don't expect to use it.
Refrigeration- Tavern only... but as I said, IF there is room left after we fill it with our food for breakfasts and the dinner.

Terrain - Is there any lakes, rivers, or streams around the site? Temp Site (this weekend) has none. Main camp- forseeable future- has 2. There will be ecoutners nearby, but I haven't planned on getting permission to sue them at the end of Oct or Nov. If players wish to swim during an event, I can ask for next spring. They will most definitely be IG!!! You are not required to stay on paths. How boring. lol

Commisary/Inn: will the Inn stock other necessities/goodies besides food? Specifically, the clean socks and toilet paper everybody else likes to mention? No. Food only. And lots of it.

Hope this helps!

Back