Serahs Fallingstar and Evandaril-

To Serahs Fallingstar and Evandaril (because I cannot tell between you and you are thus equally culpable, to my mind)-

Dear serahs-

I compose this letter in order to discuss with you the tactics and military discipline you see fit to enact on the missions that take place in and around Thuddington (ie. none at all). I find that, while being very young to the ways of civilized warfare, in my experience of the military tribal complex it is impossible to go from cradle to crawling without encountering some example of planning, tactical aggression, and enforcement of disciplinary codes in process of completing mission goals, much less to make it to a marked standing of rank, such as a belted knighthood, without same. Well congratulations, ya'll have managed just that.

Ordinarily I would say, allow the civil folk to live as their civilization has wrought. Those that make their beds shall lie in them, whether or not they've been short-sheeted, as we say. But when the inability to get warriors to follow simple orders, commanders to issue sensible ones, and oath-takers to keep their words directly affects me and mine so heinously, I find I must speak out. I and my follower Sterling both resurrected over one fellow's inability to make and stick to a plan, much less a formation, when fighting a node's worth of creatures. Earlier that day, I witnessed this fellow, Foss by name, be excoriated over just that same problem, noting that his lack of discipline and overly-passionate mode of operation had caused his resurrection at least six times in the course of a year. I cannot even begin to imagine how many other resurrections his actions caused alongside him. He was then asked to swear an oath to follow and obey Serah Fallingstar (and all other knights of the realm), with more focus and diginity aforethought, after which he was redecorated with a cord that symbolized his position as a learning officer under said knight's command and teaching.

We all know what happened next.

I find that I am unwilling to continually risk what will eventually add up to permanent death alongside those who have no regard for their own necks, and so cannot be assumed to have regard for mine. It would be one thing to calculatedly risk or spend lives in pursuit of a worthy goal- but I see no such trade being weighed and measured, merely throwing weapons and people at smaller problems until they seem to go away. There is no visible chain of command through which decisions are handed down on the field, and no enforcement of obedience to same. Formations are an afterthought, created on the field once casualties have already been taken, and exit strategy is a distant dream for those who have the temerity to wish they could accomplish a simple goal without sacrificing half the boots on the ground, every. single. Time.

One can say 'give them a piece of meat and let chance sort it out' when we are children, unformed meat not yet sorted into 'keep' and 'feed to the wargs'. But adults need rules to live and die by.

Please address this problem of structural, disciplinary and tactical deficiency before again asking me to participate in your attempts at a town defense.

Yours,
Mordahg, Seventh Chief'schild
Leaping Death Division, Sept of Spearfoot Clan.

Mardahg,

I am sorry that you and your follower Sterling both resurrected, but it wasn't because of someones inability to make and stick to a plan. Before even attempting to take care of the corrupt, we were all given a choice to go or stay and both of you decided to go. As well as going willingly, Squire Foss had asked for volunteers for an even harder task during the fight in which your follower Sterling accepted. The plan was then made clear to everyone, in which everyone agreed to it and knew going into battle that it wasn't going to be easy, but everyone stuck to it.

I have not been adventuring long but, from what i have seen from fellow adventurers, they would not lead anyone to their deaths as well as their own. Your follower Sterling and yourself resurrections were indeed for a worthy goal. Because of your sacrifices we stopped the corrupt in those lands in which the dwarves inhabit. Again i am sorry that you and your follower Sterling resurrected and look to fight alongside both of you in future battles.

Sincerly,
Nyio Sorn
a.k.a. Shiny

Shiny man,

Mardagh is right about a lot. When I was younger I got a lot of people hurt because I didn't know how to hunt. But now I know; discipline and formation are big parts of battle. You gotta be smart when you're fighting. Leaders gotta tell people what to do quickly so they know what to do and in a way they can understand. Doesn't matter if you choose to go or not, people are gonna get hurt if people are dumb.

Mardagh, you're wrong about Foss though. I know Foss really well (he's one-a my bestest friends) and I know that he never does anything without a good reason. He's never rash unless rash action is the best. He may not be the best leader but he's a really good fighter. Foss was sick with the shadow sword and that made him do things; made him a different person. But he's better now! Don't talk bad about Foss and what he's done when you don't know about him at all.

Lightning

Mardagh lass,

I agree with you one this. My own guild has repeatedly asked for better tactics from those commanding. In their defense, I've been a solider for a long time and organizing troops in the chaos of battle is like herding cats. The best way me and my brothers have found is keeping our own group small and disciplined. We have a battle commander and he is who we take orders from no one else in the heat of battle. I suggest this for your group as well.

Mordahg,

Have I not answered all questions that you have ever presented to me? Did Sera Zanabanath and I not go back thrice at Pax tower, after there were three retreats sounded to ensure all those we could rescue who were not dissipated were taken safely? And then did I not willing sacrifice of my spirit to ensure that all still in the tower, those liberated and all adventures still alive were rifted safety. Have there ever been any casualties to anyone when Sera Zanabanath has taken those less experienced under her wing? If you will remember we have taken every action to answer all questions and form battle plans before we go to the field.

We take every opportunity to answer questions asked, and ensure that those who go with us unto the battle field arrive back home safely.

How dare you. Have I every asked of you anything that I did not personally think was not in your skill set?! When I asked you to help cleanse the shadow over the bridge with it's cleansing waters. I went first, as is my duty. I explained the situation. I am more than just insulted, I am burning with anger.

We even keep guilds together, that way those tactics used during small battles can be expanded to larger town endeavors. Errors on the battlefield occur when adventures do not listen! I can not count the times we have lost, not only the battle but multiple lives do to their own stupidity. Those running behind enemy lines, or just disappearing when Lords of Chaos and Flame descend onto this reality counts as idiotic. If you do not listen and you die that is on you!!!

Resend your insult against me and mine. IF YOU CHOOSE TO NOT PARTICIPATE THAT IS YOUR CHOICE.

Sera FallingStar

Funny or Ironic?

An Orc of a tribe which but for 2 ladies actions would be gone passing judgment on those who ensured she could be born for decisions made by someone else.

Poot
Student of history

Now there is the fire I expect of a commander.

Be angry if you wish. Throw me in the stocks if you feel I have undermined your authority. As the ranking military leader on the ground, it is your choice to enforce discipline or not.

But I see the lot of us getting away by the skin of our teeth when things are easy, based on those tactics that seem to be in vogue here. What will that mean when things are hard? How close did we come to annihilation on the night of the Hags- thirty seconds to spare? There are consequences to both the soft touch, and the hard- and I'm seeing much of the soft.

-Mordahg

Mordahg,

If you thought the fight against the corrupt was an easy task, you are even more inexperienced then your first outburst might appear. The lady knights did their jobs admirably this most recent gathering. I will put it plainly that this was the first time in a very long while that my magics ran out. As I'm not generally an adventurer I prefer to stay back, and heal those who travel with me, but at times I find that I must engage myself more fully, this was one of those times.

The level of tactics you desire require a dominant hand of the type that adventurers simply do not generally respond to, you rankled with injured pride when I commented that it might be desirable for you to keep better control of your weapon and not have it scrape across a local Lord multiple times in a day, and you demand a more stern hand?

I'll be honest, the fight could have gone smoother, if my spells had been kept from you, those enchantments could have healed others, and while they eventually ran out, leading to death, I couple have marshaled them far longer had I, or the knights, been willing to sacrifice boots on the ground to get the job done.

If you wish order, you cannot demand it from the knights, you must create it with those you fight with, unless it is your intention to swear an oath of loyalty to their service alone, in which case you would create a bond of responsibility between you both should they accept.

Ultimately I find your complaint petulant, if you find this measure unfair of me, then you'll find my consideration of your words in the future lacking. If instead your complaint is one of frustration after resurrecting, and you chose to apologizes to the knights, I can certainty understand and I'm sure they will as well.

-Lord Enan Bluewater

Mr Bluewater,

It sounds like there's all kind of sieging and war going on around here. I'm interested in helping. I excel at winning wars. But, I have a cost.
I'm happy to provide a taste to prove I'm effective at doing what I say for free but, you can also look at the previously almost destroyed kingdom of Valdanis. I recently turned the tide of their war from utter loss to something more even. And while I continue my work there as general of what's left of their armies, I'm happy to assist other kingdoms as well.

I accept gold, magic items, locations of archeological importance (it's got to be a good dig place though), mummy wraps, or ancient artifacts. I'm thinking about taking books now too. I should probably have a library.

I can also manage adventurer's just fine but, I work best with large armies.

Anyways, the payment piece isn't important until I get you some results. Are you going to be around this coming weekend? Where are your lands, I can come to you to discuss stuff. Please tell me you have information about this foe. No one had any knowledge in Valdanis. That made the job harder. Do you also have an army? Or a milita? Or something to work with besides just folks in town?

Vert

I'm sorry Mr. Vert is it? I do not generally employ mercenaries, and when I do I am alwaysthe type to conclude the contract and terms well in advance. As to the beings known as the corrupt, while I've lent my hand to their destruction from time to time that are not a direct threat to my lands, nor are they likely to spread to this area. While I have been recently lorded my funds go to the care taking of my people and the upkeep of the lands directly under my control.

In sort, the wars that required my direct attention have been put to bed, and I find myself in a supporting role in current engagements, all that said I will keep your services in mind should I find a need as men that can accomplish a goal for a specific price can be extremely valuable resources indeed.

-Lord Enan Bluewater,
Keeper of the Azure Keep

Mmmm, town strife. I have missed the sight of it so.

Perhaps our visit will be more than simply exploratory in nature, eh, Vert? Sounds like a lesson is needed.

From my vantage point (the best), it seems like there are two clear sides here, with a few Nosey Nelly's here. Shall we keep score, thus far?

The orc used big words: Point.
The orc is a girl: Point.
The orc doesn't know you pause after the last item before the 'and' in a list: Minus Point.
The orc appears disdainful of Nobility: Two Points.
The orc threatened to take her ball and go home, instead of just walking out halfway through the game: Minus Point.
The orc had an intro built up and soaked in sarcasm: Point.
The orc used a pun within a adage (short-sheeted): Point.
The orc let one of her friends die: Minus point.
The orc let herself die: Minus Three Points.
The orc acquiesced to being jailed: Minus Point.

Sir, you're named Lightning: You Fail.

Liddia didn't address Foss, one of the main points: Minus Point.
Liddia talks like a angry school girl: Minus Point.
Liddia wrote in red: Point.
Liddia is burning: Point.
Liddia refered to El using her title: Minus Point.
Liddia signed with her title: Minus Two Points.

Poot doesn't know how to take a break when talking, apparently: Minus Point.
Poot's name is Poot: Minus Point.

Enan thought the orc's message was an outburst: Minus Point.
Enan used the word petulant: Minus Point.
Enan used the word rankled: Point.
Enan thinks swords scraping against a Lord in an adventuring town was worthy of rebuke: Minus Point.
Enan compared annoying a Lord to a lack of leadership on the field: Minus Point.
Enan said the orc can't demand order from those who have sworn to uphold it: Minus Point.
Enan called you Mr.: Point.
Enan signed with his title: Minus Two Points.

That brings out current winner Mordahg, to a whopping total of negative one point! Wow. She's up against some stiff competition, though. In second with negative two points, we have Poot, who might have had a witty point if he could only learn to grasp Common. In third (and losing to her direct opponent), we have Dame Liddia FallingStar with negative three points. Lord Enan is tanking with a dismal score of negative five points, but who's really surprised by that, am I right?

How did I do, Vert? About right?

Professor McRuneyBeard
The Murder-Worthy Pants Club

I think there is an underlining problem here Ashnar. Everyone is being scored against such a handicap.
It's not their fault, it's the kingdom's fault for using the title "Sera". The bar isn't being set very high.
I believe each person mentioned is capable of doing better. Maybe not Poot.

I think Lightning is a fine name. It's a little straight forward. But still fine.
I hope he doesn't try to kill me. I think Blue is a nice looking scale color.

I'm really distraught about all these "Sera"s flying around. It's very confusing. I'm not very old (only a few millennia) but last time I checked Sara or Sera was a female name. If "Dame" isn't a female knight, then does "Lord" mean something different too? Or is this some cruel trick that was played against everyone?

I mean, I like the flare of "Dame" a lot better then "Sera". Is Dame Fallingstar an option? I'm going to call you that. I'm even fighting my instinct of referring to you as "Ms. Falllingstar".

Dame Fallingstar,

I'm happy to provide my services as a tactical consultant. Just let me know.

Vert

I think everyone who had an arguement here should do like Lightning and honor duel each other.

That is the only way to solve all the problems, am I right?

Durk

All,

I have been quiet a while but I will finally add my two cents.

The concerns have been laid upon the table and the retorts have been tossed upon those, perhaps we can solve the tension shortly and in a more constructive manner. I believe that this does not have to cause a split in the forces so bad that we can not heal as a town.

For those who are traveling in, please do not make lite of the concerns of our residents. This may only cause more problems between us all. As well as please do not take away from the titles our nobles have earned over the years. Those of us who use the title chosen for us by our noble leaders, I'm sure, would rather be addressed as the title we have been granted. I ask you not to refer to us as Dame for if is not the name of our station. "Sera" is the same as "Ser".

I only address these things because I truly believe we can be better as a whole if we work on our differences. Any one of you can speak with me if there is further question or concern as I am a representative of those in charge and protector of all the people.

Regards,

Sera Eldandiril Zanabanath
Baronial Knight of Briar Pass, Wayside
Champion of Balance, Lightning

This town needs a designated and volunteered Militia.

Everyone else can be the Rabble!

-Gnot

wow , aubry and me dissapear through the mists for a few months an people forget to respect the nobles?
next you all is gonna tell me that empororess Dont's title no longer is recognized? Do i need to find a way back to thuddington and should i prepay my fines again?

Me crown was stolen...... Me still Empress...... Me also been called Queen of the Squirrels...... OH BE QUIET YOU STUPID RABBITS....... But me good with just being Don't..... Looking at toes makes me neck hurt........ Me so tired...... stupid rabbits.........

Back