sewing patterns

Robb G

Baron
there comes a time in larping when you no longer want to buy your costume because you are too damn picky and want to make it yourself. that's where I’m at now.

What I would like to know is if anyone knows of a website with good sewing patterns for medieval dress. i have googled and there appear to be many many sites, so I was just looking for some favorites if anyone uses any very often.

thanks!

Simplicity has some very good patterns available for a wide variety of medieval and renaissance costumes. Buttrick as well has a few that are quite nice. You can order them online or you can go into a fabric store and they should have a catalog you can pick from.

Making your own patterns are tricky at best. There will be a lot of trial and error considering that you have not done this before. Certain cuts look simple to do but when it comes to the human frame the pattern and cuts need to be more complex to fit more comfortably and aesthetically. Considering your going to be very picky about your costume I would go with a pre-made pattern.

B~>

Mc Call's and Simplicity patterns are a good place to start. Both have a "ren" collections and are readily available at your local Joann's or fabric shops.

After you get the swing of it try "Folkware." They specialize in recreation patterns from all periods of time. You should have a good set of skills before going this route as the patterns come with little to no instruction.

Creating your own is not hard its just a matter of trial and error. You'll need some paper, there are pattern papers but I just use brown packaging paper, a french curve for creating neck and arm holes, scotch tape and pencils with erasers. Don't forget the erasers, you will use them. Start by altering currently existing patterns. For instance, make the shirt sleeves bigger or the pants poofier. Maybe add really long cuffs to the bottom of the pants so they can be tucked into boots to create a blooming effect. The French curve is useful for enlarging arm/ neck holes, you will find that many pre-made costume patterns have smaller openings as they were not intended for anything but costuming.

A few other points to help the learning process:
-You get what you pay for with a sewing machine. Fortunately we live in the time of Ebay and most really good sewing machines can be fixed on the cheap. I recommend anything by Husqvarna. Stay away from the computer based stuff until you have aquired a good machine and maybe a serger.
-Your sewing machine probably cannot sew leather. Certainly nothing thick enough to be considered armor. Leather has its own set of tools and skills and its own learning curve.
-Start with basic cottons. Velvets, penne and most other materials can pucker and jump and do all sorts of crazy things that will drive a learning person insane.
-Get a good seam ripper. You WILL make mistakes. Most can be fixed by taking it apart and trying again. And again. And again.

--Chazz

A couple of further points:

If you're altering a pattern or creating your own, do a mock-up. Get some muslin and make the pattern out of that first, to allow fittings and any changes you'll need to make. This will allow you to save your crushed-green velvet from being turned into pouches. (Not that there's anything wrong with velvet pouches, mind.)

As mentioned before, most sewing machines cannot handle leather. The needles are larger and tougher, and the machine more robust. You can do some leather work by hand, of course, but it can be a pain. (Not to mention time-consuming.)

If you've truly never done this sort of thing before, might be a good idea to get with someone for an hour or two. Looking at a pattern for the first time can be a bit daunting. :)

Just some thoughts.

ChrisO

I usually just hit the local Joann's and skim the costume section of their pattern books. I mix and match pieces to get what I want.

I can second that Joean's is fantastic. Also pretty much the best price you'll get on fabric and other supplies too.

Dreamingfurther said:
I can second that Joean's is fantastic. Also pretty much the best price you'll get on fabric and other supplies too.

While I agree that Jo-Ann's has good stuff, it is cirtainly not the cheepest you will find fabric. If you have a regional fabric outlet store, thats the cheapest, but sometimes you have to buy in bulk.
--bill

Thrift stores usually have fabric and sheets for only a few dollars. They might not have a specific type of fabric you need but if your broke or cheap it's a good place to go.

B~>

Costume patterns from simplicity and mccalls etc can be pretty good, for another often cheaper option look fro some SCA garb journals or webpages in general. the main page for the SCA actually has several links for starter garb that is actually pretty easy to construct.

If you want to start working on more custom pieces be prepared for some trial and error but its very satisfying when you get your outfit all tricked out. If you want to do this Get a copy of "The Medeival Tailors Assistant" by Sara Thursfield. it has some very basic patterns and techniques that you can put together into a variety of looks. Really is a must have for more custom work.

Back