Shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in very simple terms:

Can a shield be made out of wood?

Is it alright for a shield to not be perfectly flat? From a side view, the potential shield-in-question would look like this:

/
I
I
I

Is the dip/incline/bend at the top (could be bottom) a problem? The handle can be attached so that it comes in toward the shield-user, or slightly angles out (away from the shield-user).

This was an unexpected find, the wood-backing of a computer chair (which we have demolished, save the wood-backing ;]).

Per our tape measuring examinations, the "board" is within the dimensions the ARB specifies.

In the ARB, I don't see any specific "width" listed in the rules, is there a requirement/min/max?

Is it worth just foam/taping it up, and bringing just in case?

Wood is fine, and bends are fine. Just make sure to edge your shield with soft foam so no one (including yourself) takes a wooden edge to their tender bits.

This is all covered on page 80 of the current ARB: The silhouette of your shield should not cover more than 531 square inches. You can figure out your shield's silhouette by taking a string and stretching it around the outer edge of the shield. This will have the string stretch across any voids or empty spaces, which are treated as if filled. The maximum length in any direction of your shield is 36 inches.

Make sure to include the circumferential foam as part of both your maximum-length and total area measurements.

Mobius said:
Make sure to include the circumferential foam as part of both your maximum-length and total area measurements.

Will do.

jpariury said:
The silhouette of your shield should not cover more than 531 square inches. You can figure out your shield's silhouette by taking a string and stretching it around the outer edge of the shield. This will have the string stretch across any voids or empty spaces, which are treated as if filled.

Easy enough to check.

jpariury said:
The maximum length in any direction of your shield is 36 inches.

I assume you mean from any one side/corner/edge to the opposite side/corner/edge? (Its basically a square so there aren't any elongated areas or like, peninsulas lol.)

Thanks for the quick replies guys, sadly I'm not near the shield-thing (or string/tape measure) at the moment but will check it out as soon as I get home.

:]

If you're using a rectangle, yes, from corner-to-corner. Some people use a variety of interesting shapes, but the general theme remains the same: whatever the longest stretch is, it shouldn't be more than 36".

Glad to be of help. :)

Necro'ing a little bit,

(Also, hi, this is my first post on the main Alliance boards, I'm relatively new to Alliance and loving it!)

I used to run in Amtgard, where I got my stick jockey training, and I had a shield made from a plastic garbage can lid covered with foam and a ring of pipe insulation around the edges, with bolts under the foam to hold a pair of leather straps and a layer of foam on the inside for my arm to press against. Would this fly in Alliance? I ask mainly because a lot of the shields I've seen have been either plywood (super heavy) or Styrofoam (too light).

In a vaguely related question, how do all you experienced Fighters carry your arsenals? I'm looking into ways to carry 2 axes (on the belt) + 2-handed Sword (attached to a leather baldric, maybe?) + Longsword + Shield (tied together, also on the back maybe?) + Longbow (uhhh...) and coming up with "This is going to get complicated," any suggestions? Besides 'carry less weapons. I'm an orc, you can never have too many.

That shield sounds fine, as long as the foam on the edges is thick enough and the total size is within regs.

With short weapons (like your axes), having them hang by the head on your belt is perfect. For a longsword, as long as it has a crossguard, you can put it in any "standard boffer frog" (leather tube) and hang it from your belt, as well. You may be able to get a leather baldric to work for your 2-hander, but be mindful of the height over your shoulder and that it doesn't poke too far back or out to the side. Again, a crossguard will be necessary for this. I've only seen one person who hangs their shield from their belt in our chapter and have seen a couple of videos on Youtube of people with shield straps for slinging it over your back, but no idea how well that would work especially with a 2-hander. For the bow, you can use a long, "jersey knit" pillow case (or maybe 2) looped to the ends of your bow and use that to sling it over your shoulders.

My friend Andy runs a leather working business and had made what he affectionately calls battle back pack. It's two alliance 100 arrow quivers. It holds 2 short swords, a short bow and a long bow on his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back