Shoe recommendations

elliotbay

Knight
Marshal
I'm looking to replace my footwear for my PC, and this time with a little more foresight than running around to all the Paylesses and Goodwills in the area the day before. These are in-game shoes, so should look relatively period, but I do a lot of running around in the woods and changing direction quickly, so good treads and ankle support are quite important as well.

Does anybody have recommendations for a vendor or brand? I can do stores between Eugene and Portland, or perhaps farther north with a little planning. I could also handle an online retailer and shipping if they're known to be worthwhile.

What is your shoe budget?

I'm about a US 10 for shoe size, so I'm betting those 11s would feel too big on me.

I'll in general prefer less expensive, but $200 would not be completely out of the question if it seems like they'd be worth it (comfortable, functional, and likely to last a long time). I'll keep SCA Boots in mind, but I'm not sure I'll find something that tall to be really comfortable.

I've been very happy with my engineer's boots from Andy and Bax army surplus in downtown Portland. They're the ones I've been wearing for the last year or so. A couple of belts and buckles and no anachronisms.

Hey Jimmy,

I have a pair of 9 1/2 Converse sport military boots. They're actually pretty good, they were just too small for me. I used them at most 3 times.

I'll bring them to September event. If you want 'em, and they feel good, they're yours.

elliotbay said:
I'm about a US 10 for shoe size, so I'm betting those 11s would feel too big on me.

I'll in general prefer less expensive, but $200 would not be completely out of the question if it seems like they'd be worth it (comfortable, functional, and likely to last a long time). I'll keep SCA Boots in mind, but I'm not sure I'll find something that tall to be really comfortable.

You might try them since I am an 11W and they are tight on me. Allot of period footwear you want to get a size above what you normally wear.

I'd be happy to let you try them whenever I see you next.

Go here: http://www.danner.com/factory-store/

They have an outlet store near the airport, so you can walk in, try the stuff on, know what you're buying, AND get a really good price. Almost literally all of my male relatives hunt, and we have yet to find better boots for keeping your feet comfortable and dry while you're sneaking/chasing/walking through whatever conditions the woods can throw at you.

These boots will last you a decade, easy.

I have some moccassins that might fit you, I will check the size and get back to you.

These are my current faves. Added bonus: if Kim is coming out to an event in either Seattle or Oregon and you let her know in advance, she probably can bring some out for you to try on.

As a rule, moccassins won't give you ankle support.

SCAboots are nice, and they have awesome service, but apparently I'm just too rough on them.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. If I can get to Portland in the next few weeks, I'll check out some of those places.

As for the secondhand offers:
Bill - You've seen how I play Virid. I'm afraid I'd destroy my foot and/or ankle in moccasins
Evan - I'd like something that looks more period for my PC, but my NPC boots are actually showing some wear nowadays, so if you bring those to September and they fit, I'll buy them off you.
Jeremy - I'm not sure I'll see you soon enough to try those on to see if they'd work, and I don't want you or me to plunk down for shipping in case.

Back