Show-Up & Exit Times, Finding a Party, And Weapon Checks

Hello, all! I'm a new player, and hoping to make the August event my first time LARPing. I've already pre-registered, but have some questions for you all.

Firstly, what are times recommended to show up and leave the event, especially on the weekend? I'm arranging to be picked up/dropped off by a friend, and would like to hammer down some definite times to give them.

Secondly, I understand that dedicating several NPCs to one PC adventuring isn't as effective as dedicating those same to deal with a group. With that in mind, what are some ways to set out finding a group/adventuring party to work with, especially as a level 1 character?

Thirdly, I intend to bring a latex weapon to use for my character. I've seen it appear in several of the promotional videos for New Acarthia, so I think it's alright for Alliance Denver, but what happens in the case that it fails inspection, and I brought no other weapons to use?

Thank you all in advance for your help, and I look forward to adventuring with you all soon!

1) People start arriving between 6-8pm Friday, with game-on around 10pm. Toward 6pm tends to be best for a new player, so you can get the lay of the land before it gets dark. Departure is a bit more tricky...we usually end game Sunday around noonish, but then there's clean-up that can push out toward 1-2pm, but rarely later than that.
2) Be social! There's a lot of groups that are happy to help people out, esp if they're new. Make sure they know you exist IG and that usually is enough to make quick friends.
3) I'll leave that to our weapons marshals.

Welcome to Alliance!

Jim's got it- but adding onto the be-social thing, yah, to find a group pretty much talk to lots of people and really feel around for what will be a good fit. Dont feel rushed, and give it a couple games before you really commit so you have a real good idea of the people, social dynamics, and other things going on from group to group. In the short term tho- dont feel like you HAVE to commit to one group or another, an individual character, so long as they show a skill (combat, roleplay, or otherwise) and are nice to everybody, will VERY VERY easily be able to get in on virtually any group for a given day or instance to go out adventuring that they want if they ask (also a good way to feel out various existant parties).

My set of folks has lots of newbies, so if you have a hard time, please do say something, we are pretty good at finding folks things to do even if its pointing you at a group of people who need another guy for whatever instance they're going out after : ) (my name's Briana, I play the mean deerkin with a polearm. )

Last edited:
To fill out the other responses a bit:

I believe creatures start wandering the roads (and woods and fields) around 9pm Friday, with more organized things getting underway around 10pm. On Sunday I've never made it off site before 2pm, though I'm never in a rush either. However you plan it, don't expect to have cell service at the site to be able to talk to your your driver.

If you could ask your ride to be respectful in regards to showing up too early on Sunday, if possible (we know some people have to leave early), we'd be appreciative. Getting to the parking lot involves driving through parts of the site we use in game.

Lots of friendly people around, just don't be afraid to initiate. If you're trying to meet people, headed to the tavern is usually not a bad idea. If you're having any issues, try looking for the Lamplight Guild.

What kind of weapon is it (longsword, etc)?

Official Weapons Marshal Response: If you've seen your exact weapon rep appear in Alliance Denver's promotional videos, AND it's in good condition (hasn't melted (yes, that can happen), or is ripped or anything), then I am optimistic that your weapon will pass -- hooray! Usually the only difficulties that we experience with fancy store-bought latex weapons are: (1) Over/under the Alliance rulebook sizes for the weapon type you want to use. For example, you think that looks like a "shortsword," but it's within the length range for an Alliance "dagger." Or, (2) Calamacil brand weapons which were made prior to around 2012 had a different formula than their current ones; the old ones were too firm to pass our safety inspections. Newer Calamacil weapons are generally passable, however.

In the week immediately prior to the event, I'll make a post about when and where weapons check will occur. It's almost always one person in Greenwood Circle (an area of our campsite), and one person at Logistics, from at least 7:00-9:00 -- and available thereafter for spot checks when you run into one of the Weapons Marshalls.

---------------------------
Now just me textually running off at the mouth as a player...

Making friends and finding a group:
  • When you check in for the event at Logistics, you'll get a printed Rumor Sheet with in-game (IG) information that your character overheard here or there. I find that Rumor Sheets make for a great ice breaker for IG talk later. You can just sit down in the tavern, and start with, "Say, I wonder if any of you heard what I did about...." Most people love having something to talk about in-character, and they're grateful when someone else can get that ball rolling.
  • When at a loss for topics of conversation IG, I like to ask characters about some interesting part of their appearance -- and when possible, try to ask questions that are open-ended, and not answered by yes or no. "That's a nice looking set of armor, how comfortable is it to wear while you're in combat?" Or something like, "I see you wear heraldry. I'm new around here. What do those colors and that symbol mean? Tell me about your homeland." More often than not, getting characters talking about their own background is a good conversation starter, and a helpful way to learn about the game world.
  • Personally, I think it's easy to meet people since folks here are generally friendly and also want to make friends. The more important path may be, in my hardly ever humble opinion, what steps to avoid gaining an early reputation as being anti-social. By your mention of experience in table-top roleplay and the questions you're asking, you seem like you've got a good head on your shoulders and you'll do just fine socially. But just for posterity, let me share a few pitfalls I've seen new players fall into now and again over the years:
    • Don't play Strider. Don't be the lone, mysterious stranger in the corner who keeps his back to the wall, lurks in the shadows, and responds cryptically to others' attempts at conversation. Make it easy for others to befriend your character; don't make it difficult for them.
    • Literally don't wear a mask IG (not meaning for your race makeup); again, make it easy for others to be your friend, not have to work through the veil of mystery to get to you.
    • If you're playing a ne'er-do-well type, there will be time for stealing from other Player Characters and stabbing them in the back later when you're settled in, and know the lay of the land. Steal from NPCs if you plan to steal. And if you do anything shady as your PC at all, don't talk about it out-of-character. Word gets around, people talk out-of-character (even if they shouldn't), and as is said in the IG world of Acarthia, "You can't buy back a lost reputation."
    • Do your own research and form your own opinions about the characters and groups you meet. There are scores of super awesome human beings in our LARP group! Don't make the mistake of getting too deeply entrenched with any one group before you meet everybody. Then you can decide which group seems like the best fit for your play experience, and your character, and choose from there!
Lastly, don't be shy about asking people, "What does that effect do?" in combat, or pulling anyone aside either in-character or out-of-character to ask what's going on, or the importance within the story of what just happened. Everyone in our Alliance group really is super friendly and welcoming of new players. If you feel a little confused by something, or lost in the tide, just shout out; there's plenty of willing assistance for you!

I hope your first event is filled with adventure, great roleplay, and a zillion new friends! :D

Trace Moriarty
Safety & Weapons Marshal
Alliance Denver

Last edited:
What kind of weapon is it (longsword, etc)?

It's a longsword, of of the epic armory models-43 inches, too, so firmly in the long one-handed weapon category. It hasn't seen much use other than swinging around the house, but there are some hairline cracks near the tip thanks to accidental collisions with walls and furniture. I figure a dose of silicone lubricant will make it right as rain, though. (And possibly making a simple pool noodle sword as an emergency back-up.)

And thanks for the help, folks. Y'all move fast.

Cory recently hunted down silicon lubricant to fix one of his store-bought latex swords. Way less expensive if you buy it from HomeDepot (in the aisle with power tool lubricants, and things -- that was quite the hunt!) than if you buy the stuff online branded for fixing latex weapons. Worked great!

Trace

Back