Siege Weapons

So, now that there are rules for siege weapons (thank you Sean!), we have to get working on building one. Anyone have any good ideas for how to launch boulders?

I'm thinking either a decently sized ballista or a simple torsion catapult. A trebuchet or onager has a little too many fast-moving pieces on the very end for my taste. I'd be happy to entertain the idea, though.

Let's make a siege weapon!
Paul Vorvick

Paul, You already have a perfectly good, very mobile, siege engine in the form of your friendly horned noble! Okay, maybe not that mobile:)
Mark

Oh, I'm totally gonna build one. I love building stuff. Sadly, I can't make a Deadlands event until June, so I won't be able to show it off til then. Once I get some plans drawn up, I'll share them with whoever. Time to start looking at designs!

~Joe

how about a giant jack in the box that plays circus music as you crank it. When it pops it actually says MASSIVE MECHANICAL.

Will the Balista tag (20g) I have from icenia be concidered valid if a rep is made for use in deadlands, and I am present witht he tag?
--bill

Yo, I swear if I walk into Deadlands this weekend and get PVP'ed in the woods by a freakin Trebutchet, I am going to kick metzler and marvel in the nuts for massive mechanical. :lol:

What is the game mechanic for moving a Siege Weapon around? Didn't they use like slaves, oxen and draft horses to drag them around in the old days? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to know that people aren't going to be running around with a mangonel on their back and a bag of boulders over their shoulder. What happens when a construct gets their monster strength on a Siege Weapon? Is it going to be KAI-NEN, First Blood Part Two?

Scared.
-Brian B

oh god. If they allow yours, I totally want a rep of mine (the most insulting balista ever). Someone know where to get torquise duct tape and is good at making butterflies? Somehow i see that getting destroyed very quickly. :)

dreadpiratebill said:
Will the Balista tag (20g) I have from icenia be concidered valid if a rep is made for use in deadlands, and I am present witht he tag?
--bill

Hey, man, if you supply the phys rep, I'll supply the tags. Lots of tags. But I don't have the gear to make a phys rep myself very easily.

Paul Vorvick

Holly Crap awesome is right. This sounds amazing!

dreadpiratebill said:
--bill
Do you plan on taking that Ballista off the battle field and pushing it all the way through the mists to Deadlands?

Jen:

If you kill me (I'm NPCing the season) with a turquoise butterfly shot out of a catapult (of whatever kind) I might laugh until I throw up.

If you smack Rock with one, I might pay you $20. :)

Well, it's just painted turquoise and has a big purple butterfly painted on it. Most intimidating weapon ever. If you get hit with it, not only will it hurt, it will destroy your pride. Now then... $20 you say...

it be easy to hit rock with it though. Just tell him he can eat it if he catches it in hes mouth. :lol:

Speaking of ammunition phys reps . . .

What is the most successful way to make a boulder which is soft enough to be safe, but weighty enough to overcome air resistance and actually fly? The rulebook suggests garbage bags filled with crumpled paper or open cell foam, but I can't imagine how that would have enough weight to go anywhere at all. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul Vorvick

deadlandsrules said:
dreadpiratebill said:
--bill
Do you plan on taking that Ballista off the battle field and pushing it all the way through the mists to Deadlands?

Thats that the green tags for horses are for. I am looking for a ruling on weither a NON deadlands tag for a seige weapon costing 20g would be alowed.
--bill

dreadpiratebill said:
deadlandsrules said:
dreadpiratebill said:
--bill

Thats that the green tags for horses are for. I am looking for a ruling on weither a NON deadlands tag for a seige weapon costing 20g would be alowed.
--bill

I was under the impression that your ballista was bolted to the roof of the HQ tavern and crewed by Ashbury Ducal soldiers. More than if NH will allow the tag you might want to ask His Grace if you can run off with it. :lol:

Considering, as a player, I payed the 20g, and I have the tag, I just wanted a ruling from a rules point of view. Not saying I would actualy DO it, I want to know from a rules standpoint if I can.

--bill

Back