Siege Weapons

dreadpiratebill said:
Considering, as a player, I payed the 20g, and I have the tag, I just wanted a ruling from a rules point of view. Not saying I would actualy DO it, I want to know from a rules standpoint if I can.

--bill

I was just messing with ya Bill. That's why I put the laughing guy at the end.

Can it be rendered?

Ahh yes, the laughing man, how could I have missed it? Its more a question becasue Amar dosen't really leave Icenia much, so if he WERE to commision another one, he would do it there, and as the gold cost is the same (assuming no points in engineer). The one bolted into teh old keep (tavern) won't be moved until I get enough gold for my own keep, which is probly years and years away.
--bill

Hey Bill, is Sunshine and Butterflies bolted somewhere as well or did it get lost in the shuffle? We might still have one... :)

dreadpiratebill said:
Ahh yes, the laughing man, how could I have missed it? Its more a question becasue Amar dosen't really leave Icenia much, so if he WERE to commision another one, he would do it there, and as the gold cost is the same (assuming no points in engineer). The one bolted into teh old keep (tavern) won't be moved until I get enough gold for my own keep, which is probly years and years away.
--bill
As our Siege Weapons are an LCO type thingy I'm going to say no.

If I were to try and build a boulder for launching, I'd try going to Walmart or a dollar store and getting a couple of beach balls, around 15-18" in diameter, and some contact adhesive. Cut some 1" open cell foam into sections and cover the entire ball with 1" of free cell foam (I'd even say they don't have to be completely covering it but leave gaps of less than an inche between any of the foam pieces, but then I'm just making this up in my head as I type you might need to make a couple before you get it passed). Wrap with maybe 8 strips of duct tape around the outer parts (like all the way around it, but leave open gaps just to help keep the foam on) and then make a cloth cover for the whole thing, and sew it shut.I think that will give it enough added weight to fly relatively well but still have less/equal impact to a max size two handed blunt swing coming at you.

BTW, are the rules for your siege weapons up anywhere, and if not can someone link/send em to me? I'd love to take a look at em so I can harass Webb into doing it in Ohio :twisted: .

Nvm, I see em. Very cool. I sense Paul's hand in this ;).

Somehow I don't think you'd need to harass him into saying yes. I see him making a mildly evil smile and saying yes, then next battle, all npc's having them :)

So I have several designs drawn up for these weapons, including a straight ballista, a more traditional looking ballista, and a catapault. All these designs, however, use surgical tubing to provide the force for propultion, and they have parts that move very fast, and pinch points as well. So, I have several questions:
1) Although it is anachronistic, is surgical tubing OK as a means of propultion? If not, what else could I use. I know they used rope in the olden days, but that seems very very difficult to me.
2)Is there any way to build it without pinch points? How dangerous is too dangerous? With such a light projectile, the arm has to move very very fast to make it go anywhere, and the arm will probably end up being about 4 feet long or so. That is dangerous, but would it be acceptible?
3) My idea for the boulder is to take one of those round pillows with the stretchy exterior that are stuffed with the tiny styrofoam pellets and to stuff some more open-cell foam into them through the little zippered slot they have. Hopefully, that will make it heavy and big enough to pass and fly. How big does it need to be again to pass? How heavy can it be?
Thanks

Tim

Back