Silence and channeling

Yep! Elemental effects are OOG verbals and don’t require an IG call!

Upvote 0
Is this in the rule book somewhere? @Draven

Upvote 0
There are multiple references to Silence not stopping OOG verbals, sure.

Upvote 0
The spell description explicitly states what it affects:

“The victim of this spell cannot talk, activate magical items, or cast any spell.”

There’s another part in the book that indicates that specifically using the Spell keyword (“Spell Doom” as an example) is allowed under Silence.

However, Silence doesn’t prevent Channeling.

Upvote 0
Yeah. The part about “Spell” being allowed under a silence is in the Spell Augmentation description. I didn’t think anyone was asking about how spells were impacted

It’s that last part that I was looking for some back up on.

I’ve found a couple places where it seems like it would be a good place to indicate that Elemental isn’t stopped by silence, but it never shows up.

Upvote 0
It indicates specifically what it stops; it doesn’t indicate it stops anything other than specifically spellcasting.

I only brought up the Spell reference as an additional clarification because of the quote I posted.

When a rule as written is pretty clear about what it shuts down, please forgive me if I’m a bit confused on why it would affect other abilities that aren’t at all referenced in the description.

Lastly, this isn’t even a change from 1.3; Silenced characters were still free to use Wands (the 1.3 version of Channeling).

Upvote 0
There’s been plenty of things that have changed from how they worked in 1.3 and nothing that expressly states that the Elemental qualifier is exempt from silence.
I’m not saying that I disagree with you, I’m just looking for clarification on where our thoughts on this are coming from.

Upvote 0
Let’s take it to Marshal Discussion if you’d like to, then, but for the moment, my call is that Silence doesn’t stop Channeling, based on the ARB’s definition of what Silence does.

Can we agree that’s the best course of action?

Upvote 0
It's not exactly intuitive that one can keep "casting" channeling when Silenced and I have encountered this confusion the field a fair amount.

I think adding text to the final wording to clarify that [Elemental] and effects work while Silenced causes no harm.

It's clear to me that's the case based in the verbiage that has a inclusive list of things it does stop.

Upvote 0
Actually, that's also in the book; Silence doesn't prevent someone from using Trap Globes (which uses the Elemental qualifier).

Upvote 0
Right, but silence does allow someone to use the Spell qualifier, as long as they aren’t incanting the spell, so we can’t just eliminate things based purely on qualifier.

Upvote 0
Back