Slayer / Reaver question

Status
Not open for further replies.

IppyDip

Does M Slayer Humanoid work on NPC Player races just like a Reaver would?

Or is it only specific humanoids from a list?

Example a npc comes out as an angry human/elf/high orc etc trying to kill the town... I know Human/Elf/High Orc Reaver would work on him/her.. but does M Slayer Humanoid work just the same? Aren't humans/elves/high orcs technically humanoids as well?

Monster Slayer affects only Monsterous Humanoids, the PC races are specifically excempted from this list. Which is why we have High Orcs and Monsterous Orcs. Being an NPC or PC has absolutely no bearing.

Upvote 0
Ahh ok, so that is more like a spirit of the rules then, since the ritual itself just says Humanoids not Monsterous Humanoids.

Thanks for clarifying, just wanted to make sure!

Upvote 0
So, in Alliance, unlike in some other systems, there is no real "subtype" concept for monsters. A character (PC or NPC) simply has a single type. Creatures like savage Orcs fall under the "Humanoid" type, and the PC races don't fall under the "Humanoid" type. The PC races instead have their race as their type, so a saar is type "Saar", a human type "Human", etc. So there is no strict need in the system to clarify the "Humanoid" type as a "Monstrous Humanoid".

Admittedly, this is somewhat confusing verbiage, particularly if you're coming from a background in a table top game like D&D where the PC races are subtypes of the Humanoid type. But there is a certain logic underlying it, and it doesn't rely on "spirit of the rules" vs "text of the rules" at all.

Upvote 0
Monstrous Orcs are not Humanoids. They are Ogroids. The only Humanoids in the standard database are the several types of Gorgons, Bullywugs (frog-men) and Hags; it is not a broad category by any means, and is really more of a Bipedal, Miscellaneous Other than anything else.

Upvote 0
My bad, didn't have access to the monster database when I wrote that. :pinch: Mea culpa.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back