Snake-kin question.

Telokh_Amdo said:
I always find great inspiration for character names by looking at the latin names for animals. [...] Even if you don't play a scavvy (er, Wylderkin), if you can get a feel for your character by equating his/her behavior to an animal you might find you name by searching for their latin names.
Look up "anguis" and you'll find it's a snake-like lizard called a slow-worm, which got its name from the Latin word commonly translated as "snake". We're already on the same page, Mike ;) I also like how it sounds similar to "anguish", which I may take advantage of as i go about writing a back-story.
markusdark said:
If you want the fangs REALLY thin, my suggestion would be to dip string into latex a few times.
Now THAT is an idea! I've never worked with latex before, don't even know where to buy it, but that sounds like an idea I'll attempt.

Yeah. The snake I went with is a burrowing snake, so no fangs.

That is a good idea for coming up with names, though mine came from the character background rather than various word origins.

Your best bet for fangs is in fact latex of some fashion. That way they are not going to break, or poke anyone (including yourself).

The string idea is probably a pretty good one, you should post some pictures of your results for others to see what is possible, and perhaps spark additional creative ideas.

Mirificatio said:
markusdark said:
If you want the fangs REALLY thin, my suggestion would be to dip string into latex a few times.
Now THAT is an idea! I've never worked with latex before, don't even know where to buy it, but that sounds like an idea I'll attempt.

At most hardware stores, you can get something called "Tool Dip" which is basically thick latex for coating metal handles with. you can use that. You could get theatrical liquid latex but that usually costs quite a bit and you have to do a lot more coats as it is so thin.

latex over a pipecleaner might work too - the fuzz will hold the latex and the wire will give you a way to put it into the mask.

Just a quick tid bit about a previous post about resist poison racial skill for kin. Resist Poison would be valid because most poisonous snakes are immune to their own venom. In fact most snakes do not employ a bite in their combat with each other. For example if two rattlesnakes were to fight and one snake bit the other, snake one would reply "no effect" Here is a quick video to show how two snakes fight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZGGk9M-BSM

I picked Resist Poison for my Platypus because they venomous.. Males are the only ones with with a poison spur on either hind foot (in females the spur falls off before adulthood and they have no poison gland) and they use them mostly during mating season while fighting other males. That indicates that the poison does affect other Platypi but I have been unable to find anything that states whether or not a Platypus is affected by its own venom.

Back