So, exactly how much...

... Plot Advancement goes on in the IG boards between sessions?

I ask because, from the outside, it sure as hell seems like a great deal of RP goes on in between paid events, to the extent that if you DON'T contribute on the boards, and you DON'T spend every waking moment in an OOG context researching the **** going on, you're at a severe detriment to the activities IG. (And yes, many people get invited on many mods, but the chance to lay groundwork for those mods doesn't seem to happen at events - it all seems to happen here, to the detriment of players not spending their time online.)

I understand the rulebook allows for some of this activity, and I can see where in rare instances this can and should be encouraged; however, I do want to point out the L in LARP does stand for Live-Action. And for the longest time, the cardinal rule of thumb for activity in game was "FOIG (Find Out In Game)". Certain panic on "The Dreaming" and certain other alternate online based forums really goes against that spirit.

Has this always been the dynamic in Alliance?

Bill,

To answer some of your concerns, a great deal of ground work does happen in between events, that's what "IBGAs" are for. These are the actions your character can take to get hints/clues/help on things that occurred in game during an event. These can also be things you wish to pursue at the next game. A vast majority of the mods, RP encounters, and other events during game are hooked/hinted at via those IBGAs.

As for Plot Advancement on the IG boards, the ONLY place Plot post is in the public/open Chicago: IG Boards. In the past, there was a board that was created IG by PCs after a year of pursuit. I can assure you as Head of Plot, that everything that occurred in there was PC/PC interaction (all of which is public on the IG forums now for everyone due to another IG event).

Since I've played Alliance, it's always been the dynamic to have "Dreamings" in the IG forum. They are a great way to let people know about an event and to develop a world that we can only experience in person 5 weekends a year. People will use their own messages to make deals, to plan, or just interact with other PCs about this vast world and how to handle it's dangers. For a lot of people, there is only so much you can do during 36hr period 5 times a year. We certainly don't punish people for not using the forums or IBGAs. However, since both are offered to everyone, we do what we can to enrich the world for the player base with IBGAs or inquiries on the Forums.

I will also say that anything groundwork for the big town fights during the weekend are 90% pursued during the actual event. Take this last event. A good chunk of folks knew from the IG rumors, Dreaming post and IBGAs that Echidna was going to be a threat this event. These people pooled their knowledge, their resources and engaged others with the same information to get enough prep before to go into it with a fighting chance. At the game itself, various other groups found ways to contribute, via mods, RP encounters, anything and everything they could think of to help the cause. People searched for Vorpal Coatings to beat her threshold, people learned about Dragon Slayers to understand her strengths and weaknesses, people discovered the true identity of an ordinary merchant with no extraordinary abilities and pursued other things in game. Those things that happen in game run the event. However research/IBGAs/PC to PC interaction outside of it certainly add extra layers of depth to it.

Last event we received 36 IBGAs. Each of them Plot filled each response with depth, detail and hooks to supplement a good deal of build up for this last event. Ideally we'd love to see 60, and we've never let quality drop because of quantity. If anyone is looking to make advancements on their personal plot, things they want to follow up on they encountered IG or anything they want. I strongly encourage you to send an IBGA to WaysideIBGAs@gmail.com.

Hopefully that shines a little light on your inquiry about plot advancement. If you have any other questions, shoot me a message on here or FB me. I'm pretty open to answer anything anytime.

- Ryan
Alliance Chicago Head of Plot

Hey Bill,

So right off the bat, I have to admit: I'm an IBGA whore.

So from my experience, in terms of your concern, I have found that IBGAs do an amazing job of setting-up mods to happen during events, not replace them. If I know someone needs to be rescued from a tower, my IBGA would most likely include all the planning necessary to stage an escape. While the live mod would be the actual rescue. In many instances, PCs have found that doing such IBGA actions beforehand had made the mod itself much more manageable. The Magic Eater Queen mod was a prime example of this. Now just taking on the mod blindly at the event, while not at all disallowed, will most likely be much more challenging, and in some instances, disastrous.

With that said, I need to make sure you understand a distinction between general plot advancements (created by NPCs) and personal player plot advancements (instigated by PCs). Many have found that their own personal plots have been highly affected by there IBGAs. I can think of two players who's characters have been critically changed due to last month's IBGAs. Do these character advancements sometimes create mods that can happen at events? Absolutely. But monster camp doesn't dictate this, the player's own choices do. Your involvement with the general planned plot for an event isn't compromised or diminished from these personal plots that can bleed into game time.

It should be noted that in my experience, a large amount of information is passed around between PCs on other internet platforms, mainly Facebook. I know of several message threads and groups that are created and regularly used on Facebook. Most of these forums have a Plot member attached to observe. Now does this constant online interaction possibly diminish the "live-action" roleplay you seek? It could be very easily argued. But even if others agreed, it would be near impossible to police it by plot. Many of the our players are very passionate about this game and will continue to build up the world we reside in. I don't feel this is ultimately a bad thing. You are not required to engage to this degree, nor do I think it necessarily hinders you from enjoying actual events. All major IBGAs are posted via rumors, albeit with varying degrees of truth to them. All major plots are posted in some way to the dreaming before an event as well. So anyone who spends 5 minutes online a week before an event will have a basic understanding of what to expect come that weekend.

You don't have to spend a large amount of time online to lay ground work for the next event either. You don't have to sit in on long chats with other players to prevent being lost at the start of an event. Even very simple IBGAs can garner you some very helpful information from plot. So how do you jump head-first into the tangled web known as IBGAs? Here are a few ways. (These suggestions are not just targeted at you Bill, but for any new players unsure how to be involved)

• Some times, adventurers will blatantly post on the dreaming for help. Take advantage of that.
  • What has largely worked for me is following up on NPCs or locations after a mod is over. Those characters don't just go away after a mod. A majority of my first year plots were created mainly because I revisited or followed up with mods like the lizard men, Bracken's glade, and Edgar Saban. They were all a blast.
  • Create your own personal goals for the character and build those goals up through IBGAs. Sam wanted to own a tavern badly during his first year. I worked hard gaining capital and contacts via IBGAs to ensure it happened.
  • Contact guild leaders (ie Company, Azure Keep, Brotherhood, Lifestorm, etc) and offer your assistance. I guarantee that any major guild in Chicago has a ton of jobs and goals that need to be carried out. Offering your assistance will many times give you things to do.
  • Some IBGAs don't need to be missions. Some characters research recipes, craft great items, or simply listen for rumors. Some of the most simplest actions can eventually garner some interesting plot that will occur at an event.
Now my opinions are from a PCs perspective. I don't suggest that these are the only ways plot wants you to feel about IBGAs (Ryan already did a great job explaining them above). But I truly feel that this is a game that will give you every opportunity to explore your character and this world to the fullest and IBGAs help supplement that, not overpower i

Back