So here is a fun question

Golanth

I have an idea for a weapon and want to ask its legality before I make it. I was planning on something similar to the weapons Bloodseeker uses in dota 2. These look like this-ish

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 94
No rules officanado but... iiii would say no, because the way its designed, it will grab people's weapons and arms with those grooves.
Without the grooves... eh....my first reaction is- why? no reach, you'd be all blocking all the time.

It would be a smooth blade, no grooves. The blade would come out a good 12-18" from the guard and would be able to cover shoulder to mid thigh or shoulder to knee on a 6' tall person

yah without the grooves I would say its cirtainly more practical, and safer, although now that I see that second photo, thats basically a Tonfa design... something is ringing a bell about tonfa style stuff having issues or something but I dont remember why (or even if thats to-do with this system) -Someone with better mechanical knowledge than me will be around eventually I am sure : )

I do hope you have training in tonfa though out of character if this goes through. You'll want it jut for the sake of knowing how to use them right so that its safe on the field as well as effective for your purposes.

As to the blade, I would guess so long as it falls within either the short or longsword parameters in terms of overall length you should be solid in that respect.

I wouldn't pass this, cool as it may look, simply because it has blades on both ends and doesn't meet the construction guidelines of the only double-sided weapon in the game (staff). It also doesn't look like the "stabbing" end would meet dagger length.

I'm also no rules expert, but wouldn't the use of that design boil down to a padded forearm strike? Or if you allow the handle to rotate in your hand, an uncontrolled, and possibly unsafe swing?

So what I would plan to do would be to have hand grips so that the weapon would be secure and would not be able to rotate and have those unsafe swings. I am confused on what is meant by your statement of it having blades on both ends. Could you elaborate?

They look like awesome weapons in the first photo(on the mini), I can't see the grooves on them as any sort of issue, you would have to be fairly amazing with them to trap and hold peoples' weapons during combat, I also have a couple of axes which have hooked heads and similar grooves and have used them for years with no issue.

I also disagree that they don't (or at least couldn't) meet Alliance weapon guidelines, they could be made, exactly as per the first post as huge, chunky, totally safe LARP weapons.

I think ClavicusEVile has hit the problem with them right on the head though - they are 'punching type' weapons - a real danger in LARP combat, if they were even a little high or low in your hands you could strike with your knuckles or in the heat of combat swing and when they pivot in your hand hit someone in an uncontrolled strike.

I have seen true LARP tonfa and nightsticks being used in other LARP systems, but they are generally very experienced players, and, more often than not punching style weapons are just not permitted.

Seriously though those blades done as huge as they look on the miniature, with the sculpting and that painted finish would look amazing!

I was going based on construction alone. I'd also fail it for combat safety as the striking surface mostly runs down your forearm and the weapon could not be wielded at arm's length, this weapon cannot be used without charging.

The weapon also has striking surfaces on both sides of the grip, the only weapon that has that is staff and this does not meet their construction requirements.

Going off of the picture this weapon would not pass on both construction and safety.

Is there a way that this could get approval or is it just too unsafe for use at all even if the blade portion of it was open cell foam and only swipe style attacks were permitted. As I mentioned earlier, I could build it with a hand guard similar to that of a punching glove with a layer of closed cell foam to keep the knuckles from posing damage and at least the thrusting tip dimensions of open cell foam to help pad accidental hits

Last edited:
It's the swipe attacks that are the biggest issue. The charging rules say that if I can reach out with my hand and touch you then you are fighting too closely for safety. I don't see a way to avoid that with this weapon. It looks awesome, but I can't think of a way to build it that meets Alliance safety standards.

Here is the discussion on Tonfas. There were two reasons I remember people saying no. One doesn't apply to your weapon (punching), the other was about a cross-section of PVC/kitespar. The answer was fairly resoundingly no.

From above linked thread (Note, this is not an ARC ruling, just someones experience)):
From experience (and I've been swinging/being hit by these things for decades now) - it really doesn't work too well.

PVC with a large bend in it develops a weak spot at joint/bend points if it's whipped around repeatedly/struck -unfortunately, that means most radically curved pieces tend to crack along the bend if they're used for combat.

You -might- do better with ultralight construction, but as I'm not anywhere near an expert with those, I'd leave that to a more practiced foamsmith.

I also would not pass it locally. It would violate to many construction and rules guidelines for safe combat to make them in any way that would even resemble the weapons pictured.

Would you be allowed to have a shield shaped like a tonfa, provided you never strike with it? (For example, could you have a sarr who has a claw weapon and a gauntlet-shaped shield?)

In principle I don't see a difference between that and a buckler, but would have to see a design, also keep in mind that you can't hold a shield in a hand with another weapon so you could not have a gauntlet shield and hold a weapon or claw in the same hand.

Back