So katanas?

Golanth

Are katanas and katana style weapons legal or would the curved blade do it in? If so would it have to be built straight?

Katanas and other curved blades are legal as long as they follow all construction rules and are passed for safety by a local weapon marshall for that event. The length of the weapon is determined along the curve of the blade, not the straight line of the two furthest points. This means a max length katana will not have the same reach as a max length straight sword. That said, of you're okay with that hit, katanas are a nice style difference for a character.

I wasn't planning on an excessively curved blade probably more like a saki-sori with a o-kissaki tip for thrusting which would give a large reach yet still have the katana shape. Do you have recommendations on handles? I need one a bit more oval shaped.

I know a lot of people build more of a tennis-racket type grip by putting another piece of kite spar on just the hilt next to the one that runs the entire length.

I'm not sure exactly how it's done. When done right, it is comfortable.

For the grip, use some strips of thicker leather on ether side of the core to make the handle the right shape. If you use double sided carpet tape the leather will stay put and the wrapping will stay as well.

I know someone who uses chopsticks on the side of his handles. Then you cover it with a light (2-4 oz) leather. Makes it oval and look nice.

I know someone who uses chopsticks on the side of his handles. Then you cover it with a light (2-4 oz) leather. Makes it oval and look nice.
This is an excellent idea.

Heat from a good heat gun will allow fiberglass to be bent. If it's a hollow support though you have a decent chance of compromising its structural integrity. If its solid then it will probably still be fine. Do use a lot of caution and watch some youtube videos. Shattered fiberglass on the field or it shattering while being bent is awful.

Edit: Worth noting that not all fiberglass is made equal. Pending the type of epoxy or resin used in the construction it may just break. This is one of the reasons why katanas aren't popular (mainly because they are less effective in boffer combat) because making a UL version is a real challenge.

Last edited:
an easy way to put a bend in fiberglass is to buy an auto body fiberglass kit and just cut and add a few layers to your existing core. This will strengthen the core in addition to adding your bend.

Alternately, it may end up being cheaper to purchase a latex katana. If you are sufficiently skilled I see no reason you cannot modify or replace the hilt section with something fitting with your vision and leave the blade. As a katana is primarily a cutting weapon, if you're using it with the associated style, you won't miss the thrusting tip.

Though you may miss having a more effective larp combat weapon.

My biggest issue with thrustless blades being the lack of utility. A thrust is effective against many fighting styles that cutting alone cannot as readily overcome.

Back