Some advice

Balryn said:
The nighthag has got to have better things to do than pull spiders from another place and send them against us... it just doesn't make sense that she would choose to rift in such worthless little critters. I mean really, if you could rift something into your opponents homes- wouldn't it be something like a death knight or a greater elemental? Why would you bother with wasting so much power to rift creatures in that are so easilly killed?

Seeing what I did of the night hag a month ago... I'm rather happy that for whatever reason she is choosing such pathetic little creaturest to send in against us. Whatever realm she was birthed from, apparently she considers "spiders" to invoke some fear in us?

I watched a few fellow adventurers smack her upside the head when she was last seen, perhaps we should just keep whacking her minions and see when she realizes her all mighty powers are simply frustrating us rather than causing fear...

The Fae and their minions are, for a lack of a better word, silly like that. They like to keep true to a certain theme. The Night Hag is a minion of the Strega; the Strega wants to destroy the weave; the weave is like a web; spiders are synonymous with webs: silly things.

Im sure that there are bigger nastier spiders out there that she has yet to send after us, as well as other things that fit in the general theme that arent spiders. For example: Ive seen some nastier things than Nightmares in the ranks of the Queen of Nightmares' forces, but she likes to use her flamey equines by default.

There are probably all sorts of additional lore surrounding why the Strega's minion of choice are hags and spiders, but we can only suppose at this point. Prepare for the worst spiders that showed up before the current barrier was set up.

Also, someone check on the Magistratum for information about the barrier/proscribe: see about getting as much info as possible about it. I would do it, but I am not on the island of Iyave at the moment, and thus it would be most difficult . At least, I'm pretty sure Im not.

Kauss said:
On the matter of the Magistratum, who exactly has been asking them for information? I have found whenever I need to visit then that they have been rather forthcoming with information, as long as I talk to someone who would know things. (And not one of the members who never sees the light of day.) Since I havent had any problem, I am curious if there may just be some confusion.
The Magistratum just closely gaurds it's information, it only releases what it feels isn't important. They seem to regard their priorities as a group very highly and will place entire communities in danger while they move on other goals. I guess it's expected to have such gaje thinking, but I often wish that they acted more like more forthcoming groups.

The information they release to inquisitive minds isn't typically the whole picture, rather a picture with various pieces missing. I've heard of some of the missing pieces and find them to be a tedious group at best.

~Balryn

Johnathan Lancaster said:
Also, someone check on the Magistratum for information about the barrier/proscribe: see about getting as much info as possible about it. I would do it, but I am not on the island of Iyave at the moment, and thus it would be most difficult . At least, I'm pretty sure Im not.
Again... wouldn't it just be easier to put up a regular proscribe? We have over ten formalists in town. Even if only one was put up, we could hit a group of cabins or the entire tavern with a single casting.

~Balryn

Balryn said:
Again... wouldn't it just be easier to put up a regular proscribe? We have over ten formalists in town. Even if only one was put up, we could hit a group of cabins or the entire tavern with a single casting.

~Balryn

If we have the time and luxury available, why not do both?

If we have the time and luxury available, why not do both?
We could- but except for size... the proscribe would function better. Even if Spiders rift or gate in, they get forced out. The one the magistratum has obviously has a hole in it the Strega is taking advantage of. We can cast both... I just don't see many reasons to put up the bigger one that has such blatent holes. It seems it just puts up a rather false sense of security.

~Balryn

Balryn said:
We could- but except for size... the proscribe would function better. Even if Spiders rift or gate in, they get forced out. The one the magistratum has obviously has a hole in it the Strega is taking advantage of. We can cast both... I just don't see many reasons to put up the bigger one that has such blatent holes. It seems it just puts up a rather false sense of security.

~Balryn

Very true.

However, if it is a hole that the spiders cannot reach by themselves, then the Nighthag/Strega is spending more and more time/energy/resources getting those spiders through the first barrier in order to reach the second barrier. Anything that can potentially tie up the Strega or the Nighthag should be used.

Besides, as you said, theres only 10 formal casters in town. Others can check into the Magistratum for us while the formalists deal with the proscribe.

Very true.

However, if it is a hole that the spiders cannot reach by themselves, then the Nighthag/Strega is spending more and more time/energy/resources getting those spiders through the first barrier in order to reach the second barrier. Anything that can potentially tie up the Strega or the Nighthag should be used.

Besides, as you said, theres only 10 formal casters in town. Others can check into the Magistratum for us while the formalists deal with the proscribe.
Well if you really want to deter things... I would suggest putting up a haven of the living to keep out the creatures lacking metabolisms. Getting a group of formalists together to do the various rituals would be good, however most of my scrolls left the realm with some of my family members.

~Balryn

Hmmm haven would also take care of constructs, and all those hags that are immune to alchemy for whatever necromantic reason. That idea has merit. Does anyone have such a scroll? And necessary components? I seem to remember that someone had a catalyst for such a ritual, but I may be confusing it with something else.

I do not think that the spiders are necessarily being rifted in by the night hag or strega. What I find more likely is that the spiders are followers of the night hag, and now that their leader has arose they are coming to protect her and do her bidding. There was a certain breed of spiders that was capable of riftig before we put up the "proscribe". I believe that it is likely that they were capable of rifting in to the town all along, they just were not presented with a reason to endanger themselves in such away until the night hag returned.
As for why we put up a "holey" proscribe. We were not aware that it had holes, it covered a very large area, it was available, as were its components, and until a little over a month ago has proved successful. So I would say over all it worked rather well. This spider problem is unnoticable compared to the reason the "proscribe" was put up before.
As for a haven of the living, that is a very good idea. With a scroll and components how big can that get? And is it like a barrier/fence, or if something were to rift into it would it be forced out? Further we my want to pool sources and attempt to purchase something like this.

SLICE

Solomon Maxondaerth said:
Does anyone have such a scroll? And necessary components? I seem to remember that someone had a catalyst for such a ritual, but I may be confusing it with something else.
I had the scroll/catalyst, but it left with Kerjal when he left the area with some of our family assets. I haven't seen anyone else with it wandering around.

~Balryn

Back