[.11] Some help with new damage calls

That's a problem for the players to work out, then, and hopefully wouldn't come down to a customer service issue.

The rules make no exception to playing your Race, regardless of whether you Racial Transformed into it or not, so while he might get away with it for a while, eventually someone should be stepping in and saying they're not playing their Race correctly and that something would need to change, although how long that would take is up to individual chapters to figure out for themselves.

But an Owner literally just said that it’s okay for them to do it, even though other Oathsworn would likely frown upon it.

That means that I, a Marshal, cannot tell them they’re playing the race incorrectly, because the intent is that the freedom is on them, so any consequences must come from IG.

Except the Owner said the Oathsworn wouldn't CAST Celestial magic, so yes, eventually either the other Oathsworn would have to attempt rehabilitation/execution until they complied, or someone of authority within the chapter would have to step in and make a call one way or the other, and my bet is that if you have a Celestial Oathsworn running around your chapter who slaughters any Oathsworn PC who tries to rehabilitate them away from Celestial magic, eventually someone is going to step in for the health and happiness of the players and either tell the Oathsworn they don't have to keep trying (which is against their race) or tell the Celestial caster to Race change again to something that isn't going to cause so many headaches.

When that time comes, and how it's adjudicated, is out of my hands.

It seems to me being a outcast celestial Oathsworn should be a playable concept. As it says:

"One that deliberately chose to practice Celestial magic would be treated by other Oathsworn as if they had broken their Oath, or very near to it."

But it does not say this actually breaks their Oath.

It also says they would try to rehabilitate or execute the "rogue" Oathsworn.

Sure. I was more pointing out it is not violating the race rules on an oog level. So no reason for a marshal to be involved. Or an oog race change forced.

And remember, murder is illegal. I'd know ;)

Except the Owner said the Oathsworn wouldn't CAST Celestial magic,

Literally not what he said.

Per @Durnic

“I mean, hell, they can cast it if they need to, but there are now roleplay consequences for doing so.”

IG consequences, sure. Not OOG ones.

I, as a Marshal, cannot enforce anything against an OS using Celestial spells.

Here is the quote from the packet about Celestial magic in the Oathbreaker portion:
Oathsworn eschew the use of Celestial magic because they fear it will disrupt their connections to the Earth. They do not typically fear it in others, because unlike necromancy it is not a corruption of the Earth, but it is distinct and maybe even alien to some of the more reclusive Oathsworn. An Oathsworn that unwittingly uses Celestial magic would seek to cleanse themselves. One that deliberately chose to practice Celestial magic would be treated by other Oathsworn as if they had broken their Oath, or very near to it. The exact form this enmity takes can vary from attempting rehabilitation, shunning, or even attempting to kill a confirmed Oathbreaker.

I, as a Marshal, cannot enforce anything against an OS using Celestial spells.

I as a reasonable plot member, who sees this behavior distorting the game can do two things.

1. I can contact the player and say "Hey, you're distorting the game. Can we work together to stop that? Otherwise the plot team is going to have to do something, and we would much rather work together with you." Then work with the player and tell an awesome story about the whole thing.

2. If 1. fails, begin providing plot repercussions. Maybe powerful Oathsworn "Defenders of the Oath" NPCs show up and attempt the same thing PCs were doing, but with cards Celestial Oathsworn isn't going to take down without buddies.

Or maybe the Earth itself rebukes the character, and calls them Oathbreakers, with appropriate In Game repercussions.

I much prefer 1., but 2. Isn't off the table.

That’s fine. I’m not saying that Plot can’t do anything (I stressed that I can’t do anything about it as a Marshal).

Though, it does seem from the packet that an OS could absolutely make free use of Celestial items, which I’m cool with.

Now we just gotta deal with them Biata....

Am I the only one that thinks an outcast celestial Oathsworn sounds like a cool character concept? They arnt actually breaking the oath. It just says they are seen as if they have. Or nearly so.

Am I the only one that thinks an outcast celestial Oathsworn sounds like a cool character concept? They arnt actually breaking the oath. It just says they are seen as if they have. Or nearly so.
Go for it. I would just caution anyone that is thinking of doing this to make sure that they are experienced and understand what is likely to happen when an entire race of PCs (and NPCs) find out traitorous. They'd probably want to keep their use of C magic on the down low.

Back