Some rules reminders for the off-season

KyleSchmelz

Fighter
Hey guys! There are a few rules things that have come up in the last year or so that I wanted to remind everyone of as we go into the off-season. As I usually point out, I'm not a member of staff anymore, so don't take this as any sort of message from staff, though I am a rules marshal.

Web and Confine

These spells are basically identical. Your arms are bound to your sides and your feet are pinned to the ground. You're helpless and completely unable to move anything below the neck - you can still move your head and shout your lungs out if you want! The only difference between Web and Confine is that some creatures are able to Rip Free from Web but not Confine, as Confine forms a stronger bond.

Resurrection and deaths on card
Make sure that any time you resurrect, it gets reported to the plot team. If plot doesn't have a written record at the event, please follow up after the event with an email to Logistics. Any deaths you have suffered should be recorded on your character sheet, even the first two "free" deaths! Unless you have been specifically told by a senior plot/staff member that a death was adjudicated, it still sticks. I know multiple players mentioned having fewer deaths on card than they actually had taken, and I heard one player referring to a "plot death" that I'm pretty sure was just a good old-fashioned death. (But I'm not on plot! I could be wrong.)

Protective Spells
You can only have one of each protective spell at a time, and you can't stack Spell Shield and Reflect Magic. I don't know if anyone has made this mistake recently, but it's come up before. Also be sure to listen for the Delivery when you get hit by something - Spell Shields won't help you when the effect is Arcane or Elemental!

Elemental Shield vs Resist Element
Elemental Shield only protects you from effects with the Elemental delivery. Whereas Resist Element can be used against anything with the Elemental delivery, but may also be used against any source of Flame, Ice, Lightning, or Stone damage.
"Magic Flame Bolt" - you can Resist Elements, but Elemental Shield does nothing.
"40 Elemental Stone" - you can use either.
"Elemental Sleep" - you can use either.

Weapon Coatings
The correct call for a weapon or arrow with a weapon coating (other than Vorpal Coatings or Quicksilver Coatings) is <Damage> <Effect Name> Poison. For example, "12 Weakness Poison" or "5 Paralysis Poison". I've heard a lot of people leave out the "Poison" part at the end. Either a Magic Armor or a Poison Shield can be used against an arrow or weapon swing with a Weapon Coating.

Refitting Armor
Someone refitting their armor must kneel or crouch in order to refit their armor - even with Arcane Armor! This requirement is usually relaxed for people with bad knees or late in the event when everyone's legs are dead, but if it's not clear to someone looking at you that you're refitting your armor, you're doing it wrong.

Thanks Kyle!

Here's a question that isn't likely to come up often, but it just struck me as maybe useful to know:

If someone else is refitting my armor, do we both crouch/kneel, just one of us, or neither? *assuming that this is Friday night and both people have excellent knees! :)

Here is one I see sometimes as well, and to echo Kyle--Im a marshal but no longer on plot:

If you're unconscious/dying/not dead on the ground and have a spell shield active, any non injested healing PCs have access to will pop it first--even if touch cast (because they cant accept it)

Arcane will bypass a spellshield, but thats not PC standard ability.

Example:
GRONK has a spell shield and is beat down by Bandit Rob. Eve rushes to save GRONK and throws a Cure Light--Gronk gets hit and yells "spell shield". Eve does it again and GRONK says got it.

Example:
GRONK has a spell shield and is beat down by Bandit Rob. Eve rushes to save GRONK and uses healers resolve for "20 magic healing". GRONK says "spell shield". Eve then does it again and GRONK gets up.

Also remember if you are dead, all protectives drop.

Back