soo lets talk about merchants.

Hi so I'm new to the world of Alliance but not to the world of L.A.R.P.ing soo I'm wondering as I know in some systems and chapters rules differ, but I digress. I want to inquire as to the rules and legality of playing a P.C. merchant. I have wanted to for some time now but seeing as this is a larger system and a big chapter I figure the plot team would what to keep track of items both brought into game and crafted in game so I'm not sure on everyones feelings on P.C. merchants. So I was just wondering some generals frowned upon, ok, other merchants/merchandising characters Etc.

Howdy,

Generally speaking, there are no rules governing bringing out-of-game items, either crafted in-game during an event, or at home, and selling them for in-game coin, out-of-game coin, or both. Plot, as a rules, does not keep track of such items, which renders the value of such items entirely up to the parties involved. If you think your pewter goblet is worth 5 silver and someone agrees to pay you that much, more power to you.

Where it gets dicey, in my personal opinion, is that because such items are not accompanied by an in-game tag, Plot and our rules team must treat them as items of no economic worth. Without a tag, such items cannot be stolen or, within the context of the game, forced to be returned. If, say, you sold five pouches for a total of 20 gold, and then were attacked and robbed of that 20 gold, even if it were by the person you just sold them to, neither the plot team nor our rules marshals would or even could enforce a requirement in-game or out-of-game that the pouches be returned to you.

Items that you bring in to game would also not be usable at logistics to pay for any in-game tagged production you might want to create. If you did want to make them so usable, then you would need to have your item stamped with an enforcable value, which could be done by paying for the enforcable value to logistics and having them assign an "evaluation number" to the object. On the flip side, per the rules, that makes such an item stealable within the game, and you'd have no out-of-game recourse should your items be robbed from you at some point (and, if you died while on a mod, for example, you'd be forced to give them up as lost treasure).

So, ultimately, it's up to you and what other players will agree to. Some players have done this sort of thing, bringing in handcrafted items that they brewed, smithed or worked leather for, and sold them for in-game coin of varying degrees, or simply provided drinks that they bought from Costco to sell in-game. From a rules and plot perspective, we are generally very hands-off about such interactions, because the system neither explicitly supports nor disallows such.

In a more general sense, one can play a character whose main concept surrounds buying and selling in-game production items. Generally they'll purchase crafting skills, so they can have more product to sell. We have one such character who has been playing regularly, and there's no stigma.

Alright that dose help a lot with with my basic concerns I'm still waiting on my rule book as I wanted a physical copy. As for my character idea/archa type its more of a trader of all goods from the. Smallest of rings to the mightiest of broad swords and everything in between. "What do you need what do you have come in you hungry you want sandwich here have sandwich now tell me....how can I help you today?" Lol an all around ultra merchant I might even have to build my self a cart. But ultimately I wanted to get to a place where my character makes, smiths, enchanted, or I acquired it. I plan on being the guy with the cart. Cause every great adventure needs the guy with the cart !

That's awesome. It will take some time to accumulate the goods but dedication can lead to the guy with the cart status you seek. You will probably playing an artisan who can cast at least level 1 earth and celestial spells to be able to build most production items in the game.

Another thing to note is that there is a class in the game (Artisan) that is a production-based class, so there's that too.

Faust_deathlight said:
"What do you need what do you have come in you hungry you want sandwich here have sandwich now tell me....how can I help you today?"
Can you say this in a horrifically offensive accent? And perhaps wear very colorful clothing?

My Friend! You are starving! You are parched! You are SOBER?!
Nonononono this will not just do!
Here, we make deal, yah? I hold on to your coin just liek that thank you, you go oer to counter and eat until you can not and then I give you back your pouch. Perfect!
Here is drink, enjoy!

I miss my old tavern, I do.

Oh just wait the atrocious accents are still to come I can't decide weather to change it every time just and insist I'm from some where else when ever some one asks haha

Back