Spell Parry vs. Arcane Delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven

Count
Evil Dragon Master throws an Arcane Obliterate at me. I'm awesome, and I can Spell Parry.

Per Spell Parry rit text "This ritual allows the wielder of the weapon the ritual is cast upon to use a parry (if they may parry with the weapon) to Cloak any one magical effect that would normally affect them. A Spell Parry may be used against any battle magic spell, activate, "magic" monster ability, or spellstrike. It may also be used against Dragon Magic or Shadow Magic spells." and per page 99 Arcane effects can be Cloaked.

So, I'm correct that you can Spell Parry an Arcane Obliterate, yes? For some reason I heard you can't, so I'm just double-checking.

You are able to use Spell Parry based on delivery (Magic, Incant, Channel, Dragon Magic or Dragon Magic-like Incant), not effect group.

Arcane is the delivery.

Obliterate is the effect being delivered.

Think of Spell Parry as a "Smart" spell shield in that you choose when to use it or not. Any spell you can defend against with a Spell Shield, you can defend against with a Spell Parry.

The only viable defense against an Arcane Obliterate: Dodge, Phase, or be CSS'd without your bottle on you.

Upvote 0
You cannot use a Spell Parry against an effect that is not a spell, meaning anything with the Magic delivery. Effects that are delivered through Elemental, Arcane, and Poison deliveries cannot be stopped using a Spell Parry. If it helps you, think of it this way: A Spell Parry is effectively a Cloak Magic that uses one of your parries. If the effect you're getting hit by isn't Magic (meaning anything that would not be negated if you had a Spell Shield active), you can't negate it with the Spell Parry.

Evil Dragon Master calls "Magic Obliterate": Darn right you can Spell Parry that, because it was by Magic delivery, and you feel like a champ when you do.

Evil Dragon Master calls "Arcane Obliterate": Sorry, no Spell Parry going to save you there, because it was NOT by Magic delivery.

~ Alexander
SoMN Rules Marshal

Upvote 0
Think of the underlined section as the qualifiers that the Spell Parry can affect. Basically, incanted spells, "magic" augmented / innate abilities, and spellstrikes (including ritual effects which is what Dragon / Shadow Magic is alluding to).

Arcane is not one of the qualifiers.

Spell Parry is effectively a "Resist Magic" for those that have a Parry and Spell Parry available.

Upvote 0
Gandian Ravenscroft said:
(But if your Plot team is throwing Arcane Obliterates, you might just be able to call Adjudication for a defensive. ;) )

Inaccurate and not relevant to the discussion.

Upvote 0
Avaran said:
(But if your Plot team is throwing Arcane Obliterates, you might just be able to call Adjudication for a defensive. ;) )
Inaccurate and not relevant to the discussion.
Calm down, twas a joke. I'll edit it out of my post to avoid confusion.

Upvote 0
Got it. Thanks for that clarification! Mods, this thread can be locked. :)

Upvote 0
Calm down, twas a joke. I'll edit it out of my post to avoid confusion.

I'm not upset, nor am I trying to dump on anyone's good time, but I feel that because this forum (like the ARC board) is an "official" place to go to get answers to rules questions, someone (new) might see that and think it's A Thing™ when it really isn't.

I apologize if I came across wonky. Didn't mean to. :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back