Spell Swap Changes

Stana

Scholar
Marshal
- Spell Swap: We looked this over and recognized that the scroll text didn't match the intention (or what had generally been Playtested). The ritual was clarified to not require a "previously expended" spell to be swapped to, and the timing was updated to 60 seconds of focus (instead of 10).

I am curious about the change from 10 to 60 seconds - what was the reasoning for this?

Players who wish to swap out multiple spells (Say, they prepped for undead only to find out they will be fighting elementals) are now taken out for a significant amount of time.

I'd love to see it incorporate some method for expediency - whether through Enhanced Meditate, being able to convert multiple spells with a single 60-second focus (limited to the number of swaps on the spellbook, or at least up to 3 for spending 3 charges), or using Quicken Meditate to reduce to 3 seconds?

At the last playtest I attended, one of our big Earth Scholars was walking around the final big fight just holding his spellbook swapping out spells for what was needed. I might speculate this is the thing the change might be trying to address? I have to say though, it was a really awesome and immersing effect. Nifty playstyle for the weaponless scholar, dual wielding packet and spellbook!

It was updated as a balancing change for the fact that it no longer requires a "previously expended" spell.

Before this change: 10 seconds, but if you didn't memorize say a Solidify, and you wanted one, you were out of luck.

After this change: 60 seconds, but you can swap to any (applicable) spell in your spellbook, even if you didn't memorize it and expend it earlier in the day.

It's a tradeoff, but we think a more appropriate one for the effect. Note that you *can* combine it with the new High Magic to make it a 3-count instead of 60 seconds (which is part of why we added that clause in).

-Bryan

FWIW, I originally thought the timing was 10 minutes, not 10 seconds. >.>

Back