Spellcrafting question

Polare

Count
Just to make sure I'm not missing something... Spellcrafting does *not* count as taking up a ritual slot on an item, right? So I could spellcraft 10 different rituals on an item that already has 15?

-Bryan

I'll need to double-check the book when I get home later, but off the top of my head, it seems like a ritual effect is a ritual effect, regardless of the duration. For instance, if you identify a Spellcrafted Damage Aura Sword versus a Ritual-cast Damage Aura sword, the only difference is (possibly) the expiration date, and any "booster" rituals.

Which will bring up a question on intent of handling for ritual-duplicating backlash and flaw effects, but that's something I'll be taking up at higher levels.

Page 96 and 97 (it's repeated) in the sections on spellcrafted individuals and spellcrafted items:

"Only the most recently spellcrafted ritual is active on (the target)."

So, while spellcrafting doesn't count as taking up a ritual slot, you can only have one spellcraft active on a target at a time. :)

Actually, that doesn't handle whether or not it takes up a slot, per se, simply that you can't craft 10 rituals onto an item. The question still arises if you spellcraft onto an item with 20 rituals.

jpariury said:
Actually, that doesn't handle whether or not it takes up a slot, per se, simply that you can't craft 10 rituals onto an item. The question still arises if you spellcraft onto an item with 20 rituals.

Both questions are important. Sarah, can you point to a place where it's specified that spellcrafting doesn't take up a ritual spot? Thank you for answering the other question btw, sorry I missed those sections in the book :D

-Bryan

Arguement for:
"Spellcrafted rituals are treated as battle magic spells in all other ways."

Spellcrafting goes a lot into duration and obeying the scroll for specifications, however, it does not explicitly state whether it takes up a ritual slot or not.

Arguement against:
Ender the mecha-coon.

This would be the specific clarification to poke the alliance rules committee about I think.
Perhaps Dan can give us a temp ruling until we hear something official-like?

If you spell craft a ritual, it counts towards the max amount of rituals on the item.

So if a caster spell crafted a ritual onto hoopty dagger of doom, and it has 20 rituals ... the spell crafting would fail.

Nice catch Sarah, and an excellent question. :)

John Finnegan - Alliance Chairman

I feel all warm and fuzzy. Yay answers!

Yay postie goodness...

Look for this to be reclarified in the not terribly distant future as it brings up an interesting issue about some things and will probably be something the owners end up voting on.

Okay what about this? If I have a DA sword can I spell craft an EA on it? I don't think this would work, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Jeff

Yes. You can have a damage aura and one other aura on the same weapon. You cannot, however, have mutiple earth/elemental auras on the same weapon.

-Dan

So you're saying you can have a Damage Aura and an Earth Aura, but not an Earth Aura and a Chaos Aura? And you couldn't have both a Flame and a Lightning on it? It's what I thought, but just clarifying for the masses you see.

That is correct.
You can have a damage aura and one(Earth/Chaos/Flame/Ice/Stone/Lightning) aura.
You may not have more than one aura from the second category on a single weapon at any time (so no Chaos/Lightning sword either, for example).

Back