spellstrike earthstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom

Scout
maybe there is some scenario that I do not know of yet, or I read something incorrectly, but spellstrike earthstorm is essentially useless. right? you are better off with a spellstrike magicstorm for pretty much every scenario because the earth damage would either do nothing or not even double against undead. If it does double against undead and I am wrong let me know please. thanks.

Well A biata and to a lesser degree a barbarian would be more comfortable with an earthstorm weapon, an earthstorm can't be used against you as easily by an intelligent undead, and you can't accidentally wound your allies with an earthstorm. That and you might not have a celestiallist as readily available to you for a magic storm item instead of an earthstorm.

Really, a spell strike storm, earth, magic or chaos, is really only good for a last stand scenario anyway. I mean, sure it's useful in other scenarios, but where it really shines is when you're holding a doorway or a hall so that your friends can escape, refit, regroup, what have you.

I've seen some death lord knights wearing full plate. I'd rather not have to chew through 40 points of armor first tbh.

well if you are using a spellstrike storm you wouldn't have to chew through armor because it's spell damage. Am I wrong on this?

Magic Storm still goes to armor first. Earth or Chaos goes straight to body. Spellstrike Storm is nice for Rogues or Adepts especially who are essentially useless if they are involved on either side of a bottleneck, unless they have some thrown weapons handy. If two or three people with shields are trying to push into a doorway, spellstrike magic storm converts you into a damage machine, since you need only hit the shield to do damage and can't technically machine gun. Earth storm (or chaos, if that's your poison) fits nicely into that slot if you want the weapon to last, would like it to have purifies, and don't have or want to waste two extenders.

Just for the record, I have seen a caster in a mercury golem hole up in a door way with a spellstrike magicstorm and it was AWESOME! Especially since he threw up a wall of force on the second door and we could defend the third. Allowed us plenty of time to tend the wounded and refit armor. Oh and it was AWESOME!

Resurrecting an old thread but it fits my question. Would a spellstrike earthstorm on a weapon also be usable as a spellstrike chaosstorm since the spells are interchangable or would the ritual have to be specific to the spell?

Whether a spell on a MI is either earth or chaos is set at the time of item creation. The same applies with any reversible spell. If I have a 2/day Life item I cannot use it to cast Death spells, Purify items can't cast Drain and Silence items cannot Remove Silence. :)

A major problem to consider with a "spellstrike storm" item is that while in the storm you don't posses any other in game skills. You cannot block with that weapon, or any weapon or shield for that matter.

In theory though, so long as you say "____storm" before you block, does that not count as striking their weapon? To my understanding, striking a weapon with a spellstrike is a valid attack. And since they are only using a physical attack and did not land their blow on your body you take no damage. Or is it that when channeling the spell all blows to your shield or weapon effect you?

You cannot use ANY other skills while concentrating on a storm, cast or spell strike, that includes weapon skills and style skills like shields, so you CAN block and not take damage, but that ends your storm.

but what would happen if you were to make your "____storm" call and strike an incoming attack? Does that count as you landing an attack or your enemy landing an attack or would that be considered a block and end your channel or does blocking pertain only to shields?

If you strike their weapon only, save after dodging a swing, then they take it, if they are swinging at you, and you swing back 'blocking' the blade on contact with your spell delivery, you'd BOTH take the appropriate effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back