Spirit Link/Lock question

Alavatar

Baron
I have noticed a lot of scrolls lately with flaws/backlashes that state:

"Ritual Succeeds, all magic items in circle become usable only by <insert class or race>."

What does that apply to? Does it apply to all rituals on the item? If you have a Spirit Linked/Locked item does that make the item no longer Spirit Linked/Locked if you do not fulfil the requirement?

One more question about Spirit Link: When the Spirit Link ritual is cast how is it determined who the item is Spirit Linked to? Is the Spirit Link just not active until after the ritual is complete and the first person that touches it is Spirit Linked to it? Or is the default the caster if no one is touching the item at the end of the Ritual?

Alavatar said:
I have noticed a lot of scrolls lately with flaws/backlashes that state:

"Ritual Succeeds, all magic items in circle become usable only by <insert class or race>."

What does that apply to? Does it apply to all rituals on the item? If you have a Spirit Linked/Locked item does that make the item no longer Spirit Linked/Locked if you do not fulfil the requirement?

It applies to the 'item'. Specifically, the magic item tag would gain a flaw stating "Item only usable by <x>". The Spirit Link, being a ritual both on someone's spirit and the item, would probably stay - the Spirit part of it would still be effective after all. I'd need to think about that one and ask the other marshals their thoughts on it as it's not immediately apparent.

One more question about Spirit Link: When the Spirit Link ritual is cast how is it determined who the item is Spirit Linked to? Is the Spirit Link just not active until after the ritual is complete and the first person that touches it is Spirit Linked to it? Or is the default the caster if no one is touching the item at the end of the Ritual?

The answers to this are specifically outlined on the ritual scroll (one of the few cases where the answer is actually decently written in the text!) - so FOIG ;)

-Bryan

Bumped a marshal thread for you Bryan. I'm pretty sure we already hounded this one to death.

Back