Spirit Link / Spellstrike question

Polare

Count
Polare has a spirit linked sword with Spellstrike: Dispel Magic 1/day. Polare is Paralyzed. Avaran comes up to Polare and pries the hilt of Polare's sword out of his hand, while carefully ensuring the blade remains in contact with Polare. He then activates the Spellstrike on Polare.

Even if a Spellstrike requires a "legal weapon swing", it can be managed by pivoting the sword in a 45 degree strike to hit Polare, while maintaining contact on Polare's hand near the hilt as a pivot point.

Is this legal?

I've seen this done several times with people doing Spellstrike:Life with a spiritlinked sword when the owner of the sword is dead. I'm just looking for some clarification.

Thanks
-Bryan

I would have to argue that a spellstirke would probably not be legally done in such a manner, but an activateable would be.

I'll need to doublecheck at home whether or not SpellStrike requires a full NERO legal swing, however, I don't believe that it does. For instance, you can parry a blow and call your SpellStrike to affect the attacker (which is going to bring up an interesting question on shields with SpellStrikes on them, but that is for me to hit up on someone else). As such, atm, I believe that it is legal.

jpariury said:
I'll need to doublecheck at home whether or not SpellStrike requires a full NERO legal swing, however, I don't believe that it does. For instance, you can parry a blow and call your SpellStrike to affect the attacker (which is going to bring up an interesting question on shields with SpellStrikes on them, but that is for me to hit up on someone else). As such, atm, I believe that it is legal.
However, unlike an activatable touchcast, it will have to get past any spellshields and reflects (from what I know) Keep that in mind if you have just one life and its a spell strike.

When you die (requiring a life spell), spell shields and reflects go away. You don't have to worry about it not going unless they're reverse life-forced or something.

Also, when you're dead... aren't others able to pick up your spirit linked items until you disipate or are revived?

Diera said:
When you die (requiring a life spell), spell shields and reflects go away. You don't have to worry about it not going unless they're reverse life-forced or something.

Also, when you're dead... aren't others able to pick up your spirit linked items until you disipate or are revived?
True, my bad. So in the case that its a spell strike cure wounds of some sort then. As to the picking up of spirt linked items, I dont think so. I am not 100% sure, but I think untill you perm, your spirit is with the body. So even tho you are dead, your spirit is just traped in your dead body untill you dissapate.

jpariury said:

This will be more clear in the book next edition (in which shields will not be considered weapons, ever). Currently, shields are not considered weapons when determining the target of a ritual, and are thus not a valid target for the Channel ritual.

Polare Lissenstine said:
Polare has a spirit linked sword with Spellstrike: Dispel Magic 1/day. Polare is Paralyzed. Avaran comes up to Polare and pries the hilt of Polare's sword out of his hand, while carefully ensuring the blade remains in contact with Polare. He then activates the Spellstrike on Polare.

Even if a Spellstrike requires a "legal weapon swing", it can be managed by pivoting the sword in a 45 degree strike to hit Polare, while maintaining contact on Polare's hand near the hilt as a pivot point.

Is this legal?

I've seen this done several times with people doing Spellstrike:Life with a spiritlinked sword when the owner of the sword is dead. I'm just looking for some clarification.

Thanks
-Bryan

I would argue that this may not be done, as in my opinion it violates the charging rule. We will discuss it, however.

Diera said:

No. The item will remain linked to the spirit to which it is bound at all times.

I would also like to beat on the person who wasted the extra scroll to make life a spellstrike instead of an activable. There's almost 0 reason to have a spellstrike life (there used to be when it killed undead instantly, but those days are long gone...)

Barry

Balryn said:
I would also like to beat on the person who wasted the extra scroll to make life a spellstrike instead of an activable. There's almost 0 reason to have a spellstrike life (there used to be when it killed undead instantly, but those days are long gone...)

Barry

Hey, if I can only find a Channel and nobody is willing to trade me an Expanded Enchantment for it...

Shikar al'Basteua said:
I would argue that this may not be done, as in my opinion it violates the charging rule. We will discuss it, however.

The charging rule is a safety rule that applies to combat situations. I honestly don't see how this applies. If I stretch my mind I can see that it could possibly be dangerous if there was alot of combat going on. Charging indicates an unsafe distance in combat. I don't feel that that would be at all unsafe. Cheesy I could see, but not charging.

Marc

Masticon said:
The charging rule is a safety rule that applies to combat situations. I honestly don't see how this applies. If I stretch my mind I can see that it could possibly be dangerous if there was alot of combat going on. Charging indicates an unsafe distance in combat. I don't feel that that would be at all unsafe. Cheesy I could see, but not charging.

Marc
However I can see it easly violating the no contact without permition rule. Aka to do this you would have to ask the holder of the weapon if they accept physical roleplay.

Back