Spiritual Smith

AlikVanmil

Hey all,

My question is about the "Spiritual Smith" effect. The effect is as follows in V0.7.

Spiritual Smith - This Ritual will imbue a suit of armor with helpful Spirits. Once per day, the owner of the suit, when using a Fast Refit skill to refit this suit of armor, will require only 3 seconds to refit the armor. They must still perform appropriate roleplay (taking a knee, representing readjusting the armor, etc.) and both the Fast Refit skill and the Ritual use for the day will be used up even if they are interrupted during the required 3 seconds. The verbal call for using the Fast Refit skill does not change.

When I first read this effect I was like "Oh sweet mother of god I need a million of these in my life." Because I read "3 Seconds to refit" and my brain just ignored the rest of the effect. A mistake on my part I will admit because when re-reading the effect at a general playtest meeting with my chapter I read it again more carefully and then I saw that only the suit of armour that has the magics on it can be refitted in 3 seconds and only by the owner and only by burning a fast refit.

Now that the background is out of the way I'll get to my question. When it seems like a lot of the revisions for the 2.0 rule book seem based around team work and players working together, why would an effect like this com out that can only be used for and by the wearer? Especially when a similar effect came out as well that allows you to perform "First Aid" in 3 seconds (See "Quickened Aid" Pg.33).

I am sorry, I guess I do not understand your question. Do you wish to have this as only useable by master blacksmiths or something to promote teamwork? What if the master blacksmith has this ritual on their armor? Do they have to go to another master blacksmith to use the ritual? We already allow people with a single level of blacksmithing to refit their own armor, and we allow anyone with AA to refit their own armor without any skills at all.

I do not see how this has anything to do with teamwork. It is simply allowing a player to do something cool a limited number of times a day by expends two resources (a ritual and a skill) to do so. This is perfectly in-line with other changes in 2.0.

If I am missing something, please let me know.

My question is why was it decided that it is only applicable to the person who owns the armour. Only the enchanted armour can be refit in 3 seconds and only by the person who is wearing the armour. Why not just allow the wearer of the armour to refit anyone's amour in 3 seconds?

The teamwork comes in that this item for lack of a better wording is a selfish item. Coming from a person who plays a support character I (as well as other support players I have spoken to) would prefer to see something that could benefit everyone instead of just one person. And if anything this actually eliminates and devalues people that have chosen to play support characters. Because I've sunk literally half my build points to be a master blacksmith and be able to refit peoples armour in 30 seconds. But I become less relevant when you have a bunch of people who can just do it themselves in 3 seconds.

My question was just asking why it was decided to make this item benefit the one instead of the collective, once again I will sight "Quickeded Aid" which is an item that can be used on anyone.

But I become less relevant when you have a bunch of people who can just do it themselves in 3 seconds.

Once per ritual. Folks who rely on their armor to keep them alive won't use this willy-nilly. They'll use this when they're by themselves and need self-sustain to survive.

If you're around and they can afford to wait 30 seconds, they're not going to use this ritual. They're going to take your 30 seconds and be grateful for it.

Back