Splashing Cross-class

Draven

Count
With 1.3, the idea of splashing into another class to get some mid/high tier abilities was basically a non-starter due to prohibitive costs unless you were extremely high level.

In 2.0, that’s less true. Getting a dodge for a Scholar isn’t particularly hard, given the value of Alchemy/Traps/Evade/Counteract*.

Anyone find splashing cross class to be overall bad for the game?

*If you’re a shield scholar!

I think splashing cross class is great for the game. It allows for much more flexible character concepts. Part of what made the 1.3 rules system feel so dated was its reliance on forcing you in to specific skill builds. If anything, I'd like to see all the skills that require things that aren't just XP in a header be changed to use that same mechanic.

And it was done in 1.3. I'm pretty sure we had a scholar with backstabs so as to get a dodge. And I think we had one with 2 profs to get a parry for spell-parry. So this isn't new - its just allowing for more flexible choices of what is being used to fulfill the prereqs. And that flexibility is interesting.

One of the bigger changes with 2.0 is that there are not cookie cutter "right" builds any more, and characters get a lot more choices in how they get access to things.

I do think it might be exposing some skills as miss priced or overly accessible - but I think that is independent on the availability of splashing cross-class.

Personally I like cross class splashing, it fixes a major issue with the 1.x of the game, where everyone of a class looked pretty much the same. Now you have alot more skill options combined with easier splashing to make characters truly Unique.

I've only done it with my Fighter currently, but picking up 3 ranks of Trap Making for 18build gives me access to range Shatter, Silence and Slow, which are 3 great abilities as a melee heavy tank character, as casters were able to take me down easily; the fact its Elemental Silence is even better.

I enjoy splashing fighter for my earth scholar, I see intercepts to go with my racial resolutes too good to pass up. (High Ogre in the house)

I enjoy splashing fighter for my earth scholar, I see intercepts to go with my racial resolutes too good to pass up. (High Ogre in the house)

Not gonna lie, I would consider a Celestial Scholar build with Blacksmithing/Fast Refit/Intercept sets + WEA/Celestial Armor/Mend Armor Storms/Protective Reflex.

:D

I do think it might be exposing some skills as miss priced or overly accessible - but I think that is independent on the availability of splashing cross-class.

Do you have an example of this? :)

Do you have an example of this? :)
If you are inclined to use discord, some of us have chatted about that on the alliance national discord. We've had some pretty fun conversations there.

So I'm going to lightly dodge the question, mostly because I think my actual answer is that it depends on how you want the game to play. I think the infographics Chris puts out periodically have given insights in to how the community has responded to these rules. If the goal was to discourage people from buying lots of static damage, and encourage more per day skill usage, which I feel like was pitched as part of the goal for 2.0 then I think we've probably underpriced weapon profs/backstabs and overpriced some of the per day offensive skills.

I think we've probably underpriced weapon profs/backstabs and overpriced some of the per day offensive skills.

I would disagree with the first part... But agree with the latter. Some of the rogue ones are really bad for there cost. But I feel like profs and BS are fine they basically top out at 10s for 1hander, 15 for 2hander and 20 for Backstab at the high end. Which seem like fine numnbers to me.

I’m a bit hesitant to agree with whether or not any skill is appropriately priced, because honestly, putting more offense into the game in whatever form is just gonna bloat NPCs, static or otherwise.

A huge fan of how much easier it is to cross class. I am a Celestial Spellsword with 5th level earth spells and I almost have my dodge.

I'm also the person who has a little bit of everything at a buffet.

It’s funny, initially I thought splashing would be worse for the game, but I did it a lot more in 1.3 than in 2.0 and I think it hurt the game even more. I don’t think it’s that bad in 2.0 but then again we have a level cap. Maybe at 350+ build it is worse.

It’s funny, initially I thought splashing would be worse for the game, but I did it a lot more in 1.3 than in 2.0 and I think it hurt the game even more. I don’t think it’s that bad in 2.0 but then again we have a level cap. Maybe at 350+ build it is worse.
Curious, Why do you think it hurts the game?

I would legitimately call my card a celestial scout at this point as I have profs, backstabs, enough celestial to use all battle magic scrolls, and it's a lot of fun.

As for the caps that have been mentioned in this thread, I can't stress enough that we can't fully measure the benefits of the new rules if we start them out with caps. I've seen some uncapped games and they've been tremendously fun and both level 2 and level 55 characters have been on the same field and had rave reviews

Back