Squire's Meeting & Noble's Court

That is true...

But it does not answer the question.

Is the person in this example a good or bad person?

That is the question.

Symerille

Any one part of the Code is easy broken apart like a single stick. All parts of the code make it like breaking a bundle of sticks all at once. Fight evil without Ses-sas-son and Honor the weak and protect them and keep the laws of the lands are all in your story also Sym. Making it more clear that you did the right thing.

But ask others that know it better then me, there are many.

Walgar of the Wolf Tribe

Very true Walgar, but I also Lied to the Kidnapper. Does that make me a bad person?
(Based on the The Code) I am curious as to what others think?

Symerille

Should I have told him.....I am going to gas you down after I give you a crown you asked for to spare your hostage?

By the code....I have failed to uphold its tenet correct? (because I did not tell him the truth.... not honoring the entire code is not honoring the entire code correct?)
This would make me a bad person no?
or can someone be a good person and not follow The Code?
That is the question I pose.....

Symerille,

I do not know if I can give a yes or no answer to your question, but I will try. I do not believe this is a question that can be outright answered in this manner for all circumstances. It depends on the situation and the intent behind your actions. I am one who very much believes in honesty, however there is a point when I feel honesty is no longer the best course of action. Again prudence comes into play here. I take responsibility for my own words and actions. I will tell the truth, even if it leads to my death. However, if my honesty would lead to another's harm or death I may tell a lie to spare them. I do not think that because someone does not follow the code they are a bad person. Though, if more often than not they go against the tenants of the code then it is fair to say they may indeed be a bad person. In my opinion the person in your example is a good person. They said what they needed to bring a criminal to justice and to spare an innocent.

Life is mutable. Situations are always different; one solution may not work under other circumstances. Rather than the Code being something written in stone, black and white, I think it should more be viewed as a moral compass. The general ideas you should aspire to live by, but not be so blinded by the literal wording of them as to do something so counter-intuitive as to tell the truth to an enemy most likely costing the life of the hostage and your own. I think the intent behind the Code saying we should not lie is to create people whose words can be trusted, not to harm innocents through honesty. Then again these are just my views, I am but one voice. I am glad you posed your question, it has given me time to reflect on my own beliefs.

-Gwendara Alanik
Seneschal of the Stormblades

Did you say " Im not going to attack you after " ? If you did then you lied if you didnt then it was just foolish.

Walgar

I was thinking along the same lines as Walgar. If the kidnapper asked for a gold piece OR if Symerille offered a gold piece for the victims release, up to this point there is no lie. If the kidnapper didn't stipulate his own freedom then it was an assumption on his own part. Still there is no lie, only stupidity on the part of the kidnapper.

Gwendara said:
Life is mutable

Have you been you Saribdis, Gwendara? It sounds like you may have been.

There was a general I served under in the Willows who had an interesting perspective on the use of deception in combat, and against ones foes. You're never lying...just changes in tactical information and the situation caused you to have to reconsider the options available, and select one more appropriate to the situation.

I'm truly hoping he's on the right side now...

Lord Aaeun Nimbus of the estate of Luminary, Assistant Guildmaster of the Canning Wizard's Enclave

Telokh_Amdo said:
Have you been you Saribdis, Gwendara? It sounds like you may have been.

I have not been to Saribdis, Telokh. Though I am intrigued and wish to make the journey at some point; I am always open to new experiences and knowledge. Would I need to seek permissions or any courtesies to visit, or is it an open city?

-Gwendara Alanik
Seneschal of the Stormblades

Saribdis is a "country", not a city, and you may come at any time.

Telokh

To all those participating in the squire / noble discussion on forgiveness/people can change, I found this to be the best indepth discussion ever. It seemed almost everyone was speaking from within their heart. I found it very educational on various concepts of the concerns as well as the emotional and intelectual under tones.

As a Norik forgiveness is very difficult. It is not a word but a change of ones internal essence forever for both parties.To forgive is to willingly give up part of yourself {the past} and take a calculated but blind leap to a new self without any guidance.It also goes hand and hand with trust for to not do so is to make forgiveness but a word only. To forgive is for both persons to trust each other even if it feels unatural,uneasy,and too hard of a hill to climb. Sorry I digress for a Biata our word is our bond/life ,to forgive is to stake ones life on someone not being as they once were. Some families will even feel obligated to killing themselves as a cleansing for a betrayed forgivrness.

I thank you once again this discussion was touching to my heart.

Zaterina N Norik

Zaterina,

I am glad that you were so moved by the discussion. We will be holding another meeting on Saturday, the last day of Hawk, 608. As usual, we will begin at 10:30 am in the Black Stag Tavern.

--- Baron Ivan Drake of Blythedale

Apparently I missed one of the more important discussions. In turn, however, I will be at the next meeting.

-Aislynn Ravenshire

Back