Staff and Shield use

Draven

Count
After reviewing yet another bit of the rules, I have a question regarding combining the use of a staff and a shield.

Page 83 -
Code:
Staffs may only be handled in the middle
3 feet. The middle 6" of the staff must be padded
with a minimum of ½” thick pipe insulation.
You must have both hands on the staff to
attack, but you may block with only one hand
on the staff, or in conjuction with a short weapon
for the purposes of the Two Weapons skill.

I also referenced the Shield use description on page 80. The closing thing I could find to weapon restriction in second hand is this -
Code:
Shields cannot be used with two-handed
weapons. You may not wield a weapon with
the hand or arm holding the shield.

What this leads me to believe is that I'm not forbidden from using a shield in my left hand, and a staff in my right, I simply don't have a way of legally attacking with either hand. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

JP asked this a little over a year ago as well it looks like. :)

Per ARC ruling:

http://www.alliancelarp.com/forum/viewt ... ld#p111162

JPariury said:
The logic of this ruling is unclear. If blocking with a staff and shield simultaneously is disallowed due to staff being a two-handed weapon, then is the intent to also disallow blocking with a staff and wielding a short sword?

If the intent is simply to disallow shield + blocking staff, shouldn't it simply be "No, don't do it, because we do not want you to"?

Polare said:
The addendum specifically gives an exception which allows Staff to be used with the Two Weapons skill (and yes, that directly implies Florentine with a dagger, before it's asked):

81: Staffs: A staff may be used as a one-handed blocking weapon in conjuction with a short weapon for the purposes of the Two Weapons skill.

No such exception exists for Shield, therefore, a Staff may not be used in conjunction with a shield. As with other rules changes, adding Shield to this exception list would take an owner vote, so if that's what you want then ask your owner to push it up the chain :)

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

Cool. :) I had no real intention to actually use this combination, but since I've been perusing the rules a bit more in preparation for a Spirit Forge, I was curious about that.

Back