Supressing Racial Identities

Bah, you have a human who dresses/acts something like a gypsy, all the real ones will sort them out soon enough.
Im looking at you Lauric.

i believe there was a post about all this already, but it may have been on the old boards. I'll have to look. If anyone has access to the old boards (though i think they were going to be deleted) would you mind checking there?

I'm not sure that people need to be able to identify your race immediately. If I remember correctly my old race packet says that kergani act a lot like barbarians so if a kergani puts a helmet on it should be tough to tell if that character is a kergani or a barbarian.

In my case it was a little different. Apparently everyone thought my armor, which was made from old wool carpet, was in fact some sort of unidentifiable scavenger costume. If I had a gold for every time someone asked "What kind of scavenger are you?" I'd be rich.

People usually think my wild elf is a barbarian until they see the ears; I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, though, and I don't know if wearing a helmet really counts as suppressing a racial trait. I think we're referring to more innate details -- like the whole MWE hating command effects thing.

It's important because there are certain effects which apply differently to different races. The obvious example is the Race Reaver ritual, where a weapon does additional damage against a certain PC race. If your human with fancy clothes and an accent isn't immediately distinguishable from an actual gypsy, someone with a human reaver may be getting short changed (or you might get incorrectly wailed on by a gypsy pantherghast). This also lends some additional realism to the game, as we should be able to tell the difference between a biata and a hobling, and not have to wonder "Is that person wearing black feathers or just bushy eyebrows?"

-Dan

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
"Is that person wearing black feathers or just bushy eyebrows?"

The operative words for Biata feathers are "sleek" and "well-groomed". "Bushy" shouldn't even be used in the same sentence as "Biata". That being said, I have often seen feathers that, from a distance, are indistinguishable from Hobling eyebrows and that makes me frown.

You've obviously never seen Tieren emerge from his cabin first thing sunday morning. "Sleek" isn't the first word that springs immediately to mind :D .

As far as the race reaver problem, I know that was one of the rules things that was going to be looked at to try and make it a little less clunky for the new rules set. No idea if anything happened with it, though.

I experienced that as well although I didn't know it at the time. Apparently on my second NERO weekend, first in HQ, in 1996 my Kergani was attacked by an NPC that wasn't supposed to attack elves.

But we can't ban elves from wearing helmets either. At least I hope not. My new one is pretty cool looking. And with a helmet an elf can easily look like a human or a barbarian.

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
It's important because there are certain effects which apply differently to different races. The obvious example is the Race Reaver ritual, where a weapon does additional damage against a certain PC race. If your human with fancy clothes and an accent isn't immediately distinguishable from an actual gypsy, someone with a human reaver may be getting short changed (or you might get incorrectly wailed on by a gypsy pantherghast). This also lends some additional realism to the game, as we should be able to tell the difference between a biata and a hobling, and not have to wonder "Is that person wearing black feathers or just bushy eyebrows?"

-Dan

Ha. I was that Pantherghast.

It couldn't help that I couldn't see out of the helm very well, so all i saw was fur, and chest...didn't see the head. :)

-Ali

"Yes, I am that short..and cut me some slack..I was a 5'3" 16 year old Barbarian Panther Ghast going up against Ator ThunderBringer."

zehnyu said:

It couldn't help that I couldn't see out of the helm very well, so all i saw was fur, and chest...didn't see the head. :)

-Ali

"Yes, I am that short..and cut me some slack..I was a 5'3" 16 year old Barbarian Panther Ghast going up against Ator ThunderBringer."

If you're talking about the wild elf above, I don't think that was you Ali. Jim said that was 1996. Your didn't start playing in HQ until 1999.

It proabbly was her. She told me about it in Ohio (or I never would have known). I remember getting tooled down in 1996 so i assumed it was back then. I guess I might have gotten tooled in 1999 as well. Some memories you try to block out...
Telokh_Amdo said:
zehnyu said:

-Ali

If you're talking about the wild elf above, I don't think that was you Ali. Jim said that was 1996. Your didn't start playing in HQ until 1999.

I would agree :) and absolutely James..there are some things that absolutely you don't want to remember ;) but I hope you still had a fun weekend that weekend.
-Ali

Maxondaerth said:
You've obviously never seen Tieren emerge from his cabin first thing sunday morning. "Sleek" isn't the first word that springs immediately to mind :D .

Damn right.

And it has nothing to do with feathers either. ;-)

Well now that I know it wasn't 1996 I have no idea which event we're talking about. I think I managed to have fun at all of them so chances are good...
zehnyu said:
I would agree :) and absolutely James..there are some things that absolutely you don't want to remember ;) but I hope you still had a fun weekend that weekend.
-Ali

Back