Tactical Withdraw from Parson's Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last to step through Laurent had seen enough to know this was going to be difficult later.

After he confirms proper aid to the last of the retreating forces he calls together the Imperials new and old and begins his orders.

"Kahuna, veport zhu ze Arcane Zanctum vhat happened, verify if ze Arch Magi haz indeed let hiz arroganze getz bezt of zim ja?"

Now he glares at his enraged Orc companion, noting the battle hunger that has yet to stop.

"Tess, zhou obeyed orderz, ve vill getz zhem backs. Getz zhem barracked und revit."

He looks around to find the new Sherriff.

"Gut Brother Biata. Zend message to the Palace of vhat hast happened ja? I vill vollow vhen able to gives greaters details."

Laurent then marches off to immediately report to the Home Guard main garrison what has happened in detail.

Isawda tries to shake off the shock of what has just happened.
In the crash and thunder of combat, he reacted without thought.
When ordered to withdraw he was one of the last of the caster to leave the field.
And now the King had been left behind!

Should he of refused the order, and stood with this King?
He knew that thought would trouble him for many nights to come.
But in the here and now...

"Yes Laurent, the dire news will go out immediately."
With that he turns to arrange for the message.

Nadja watches Laurent and Isawda rush off with messages as she finishes checking the good people of the Breach for injuries, luckily finding few actual injuries just a lot of shock. Stepping away to let her friends recover in their own way she approaches her cousin Garridan.

"Garridan, my cousin, now that we are all safe, I feel I must use my skills to try and find any hint of what has occurred in the Breach after we left and the portal collapsed. As we are in this large city, I do not feel safe doing my Seeing alone this time...I will have to go into a deep trance that I would not hear someone approaching. I am going to ask Zanthia for a quiet room to work in, but will you come with me and stand guard over me for as long as it takes? You alone, as family, can be trusted to witness the secrets of the scrying I must do."

Anything you want, you need just ask cousin. I will watch over you. It is indeed a dire situation we are in. I did not like to leave behind the king, and I hope he somehow gets through all of that. Sadly, the search of Klanger will have to be put on hold until such time as we can get back to Parson's and hopefully finally put this Kara Vale business to rest and recover the king.

The coming days will definitely be interesting as it seems the King's sister seems to be making a play for the throne. I had suspected and learnt some things during the king's masquerade, so I am not surprised. Interesting though that his nephew has risen from the dead and joined Kara Vale's ranks. I hope that the 2 things are not somehow related. That would be dire indeed.

Goos watch as the portal shoots out everyone at Parson's Breach....

"What the F*** happened? Why are all of you here? What did I miss?"

Garridan turns when he hears his friend's voice, "Goos!"

"We could have used your hammer! The king showed up to Parson's Breach. He located the sword hilt and warned us of a battle to come. Kara Vale sent waves of her minions into town, culminating in her leading a force into Parson's. The king ordered us to retreat through the portal, but sadly was still in the heat of battle when the portal closed. We know not his fate. The Arch Mage was with him, or at least his gollum, as Laurent called it."

Nadja smiles sadly at Goos. "No one liked leaving His Majesty behind, but he is very resourceful so we can but hope that he will find a way to escape. I don't like the man particularly, but Az'Cain does have some power which will aid the King. We shall just have to wait and hope. Come cousin, let's go ask Zanthia for a room."

She turns and walks towards where Zanthia is standing, "Zanthia my dear, do you have a room here in the Palace where I can have solitude and quiet, your rooms or a room in the Earth Weavers Guild perhaps? I must consult my stones to see what information I can glean from them about what has happened back at the Breach, to our King and that old goat....er the Arch Mage I mean. My cousin Garridan here will accompany me as protection and to ensure I am not disturbed while working."

Goos rushed towards the portal...

"Damn magic door thing, take me to the Breach... Can anyone make this thing work, I have to get there. I'm not leaving the King to fight on his own."

Goos started to poke the gate with his hammer trying to get it to work. "WORK DAMN IT" He screams at the top of his lungs.

Zanthia looks at the portal in horror as it collapses, knowing that opening it again will be difficult. "Earth protect them" she whispers, then turns to Nadja, "Yes of course. We will find rooms at the guild for any who wish to come."

Hearing Goos' screams, she rushes over to him. "Goos, we will rescue them. Az'cane is powerful and will protect them. Remember he also has his circle for safety. Come, let us depart."

Zanthia now turns back to the others, "Fredrick, Isawda, Noman, please gather everyone who wishes to come and we will go to the Earthweavers' guild."

As she came through the portal Harlequin had kept moving to the side, not knowing where they were emerging and somewhat fearing the thought of the city.
As the others were being given their orders and making movements to go to the Earthweavers guild she couldnt help but remember her recent death at the Fatespinners hands and shuddered.
"I'll not trust my safety to such as that" she growled lowly to herself and began to slink off into the shadows.

Looking at Garridan and the others after several minutes of trying to beat the Portal to work.

"Why did you all retreated and ran away"He screamed angrily. "Fight to the death, why are you people such cowards"

With that he raced off to collect his weapons and armor.

"I'm coming my friend, if i have die trying then be it, but i will get see to it that you are back."

Zanthia sees Good running off and calls after him. "Goos! Please wait!"

At the same time she noticices Harlequin slipping away and makes a mental note to speak with her, if possible.

Goos turned around as he hears someone calling his name....
"Milady, please be quick with what you have to say, I must make my journey back to the Breach. I don't have a lot of time."

Garridan speaks up quickly, "Goos, when the King orders us to leave, we have no choice but to listen." I did my best to stay but the king ordered me directly to get back and retreat through the portal. I would have preferred to stay, but I have seen what happens to those that disobey him."

With that he turns to Nadya and says, "let us be away then. The sooner you can get your readings done, hopefully the sooner we can get a party together to go back and rescue the king and retake the Breach. As strong as the King is, I fear even he couldn't hold up to the waves that were assaulting us, and I did see the golem go down before the portal closed itself."

With that he ad Nadya turn head off to the Earth Weaver's guild hall.

"Goos, Garridan speaks the truth. Our retreat was ordered by the king. While we cannot use the portal to get back, we must regain our strength before making the journey back to Parson's Breach. It would be folly to attempt it alone. The forces there are too great. Please, come with us the Earthweaver's guild where we can make preperations."

Zanthia then hurries to catch up with Garridan and Nadja.

Noman blinks after what seems like hours of staring around, trying to sort things out in his mind. "Ah...yes...the Earthweavers' Guild. I'm coming, my lady Fatespinner." He, being less familiar with Calanhelm than most, follows the Fatespinner, as she would know where the meeting area was. "...that hilt...gotta seriously look into that..." he mutters to himself, though loud enough to be overheard.

Keara looked around the room they had just entered. It was big...really big...probably four or five times the size of Artie's tavern. It was rectangular in shape, with the portal exit on one end and a large set of double doors on the other. Along the walls where barricades and other defensive positions, designed the guard both ends of the room. Towards the top, where the roof and walls met, where a series of arrow slits, obviously manned from outside the portal room.

One of the last ones through the portal, just before it collapsed, gave Keara a clear view of the final moments of the battle. The last thing she saw was the King diving head first into a group of foes. Dropping to one knee, she said quietly to herself "I shall always remember."

Standing and turning towards the people that had retreated with her, she noticed a few wounded being tended to, some small groups talking and pointing at the portal, the gypsies gathered together near the exit, Goos stepping out from behind a barricade looking very distressed, and Harlequin slinking into a dark corner ready to make her escape.

For several minutes Keara just stood and watched, feeling desolate, useless, happy (not to be dead) and a myriad of other emotions. She saw on the faces of many of her comrades the same mixed emotions. Nobody seemed to be taking charge of the situation, so Keara decided to leave. <I will seek lodgings with my cousins of House Oaren and send a message to Zanthia> she thought to herself. She picked up her satchel and strode purposefully out of the room.

Mar moves up behind Garnett his feelings mixed. "which way too the library?" he asks softly wanting too get some research done before everyone gathered once more too return too the breach. "and the name of a trustworthy inn if you know it"

Being one of the first few through the portal (if not *the* first), Math stops and begins to rummage through the sporran on his kilt as well as the little belt pouch attached. He soon realises he is blocking the exit to the portal as he is bumped and jostled by people behind him. He steps off to the side and continues to rummage for a bit. A little dismayed by everything he realises is left behind, he turns to leave the area.

Overhearing Marr inquire about the library he pauses, "If you like I can take you, I've been there many times. You can put the reading skills I taught you to good use there."
"And then," he muttered to himself under his breath after turning away. Stroking his chin in deep thought as he walked he continued the barely audible musing "I should make arrangements to return home to the Vale. Oddly this incident saved me many days on the road. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned." With a determined nod he picked up his pace, gripping his staff with a frustration so intense his knuckles were white from the pressure - so much so that it is obvious on his normal pale, pale complexion. He does not look back, not even to determine weather Marr has followed up on his offer.

(OOG - edited because I just realised I stopped carrying my green leather bag around 'cause it's a hindrance in combat - so that TOO is in my cabin. Also decided to embellish the prose a little so it reads better :) )

While the confusion of the portal colapse sudsided, and giving a little smile at the thought of Goos fighting his way to the king (and hopefully falling), Aengus leans up against the wall just off to the side of everyone. He reaches in to his bag and pats the ring he normaly wears and then pulls out his pipe and tabac. He lights, takes a deep draw and slowly makes circles in the air off his tabac.

When the confusion settles and people start getting them selfs put back together, he walks over to Harliquin leans in close to her Ear (PM to follow). He draws back, smiles his Aengus Smile and moves to Laurant, who voice can be heard over every ones. With a pat on the back and a nod, Aengus makes his way to the City proper, where a Keg of Ale is waiting with his name on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back