Tactic's

I do not mean this to be criticism or hurtful to anyone, But our tactics this past market day were both sloppy and disjointed. I understand that many new adventurer's have joined us recently and as time went on I believe I saw some improvement. But there is much work to be done, And I for one feel that understanding that several of the hardier and more traveled adventurer's are not giving out advice (and sometimes order's) to hear themselves talk or yell themselves hoarse. In these lands that are so inhospitable we must see that no matter what civil or personnel disputes we have in the end we are all allies out here and if we don't work together more efficiently it will not end well. As I said there was much improvement later in the market day and there is much potential amongst us. But also I see the potential for failure, Early on when I came to hopes reach the majority of our force always took up places in or near the fine establishment of the Falcon's roost and we became closer and more friendly because of it, but now I see adventurer's drifting off and setting up camps farther and farther away. And now I feel I'm getting rather long winded for which I apologize but for those of you who know me, and know how little I generally say, maybe it will show you how strongly I feel about this issue.

Captain York,
Deputy Sheriff,
Captain of the Order of the Black Wolves

T' quickly address your concern about the Falcon's Roost Captain York: ev'r since my own arrival in town I 'ave noticed our growin' numbers. It seems we 'ave many brave men and women recently drawn t' 'ope's Reach. Sure, we might not all sleep in the same area but we gather together when it counts. 'aving everyone resting in the Falcon's Roost just doesn' seem feasible at this point in time- and we can and should be glad for that.

As t' our tactics I can certainly say I know wot y'mean. In fact I'm sure we all noticed the difference between those earlier bat'les and the ones which followed. I want t' personally thank Sheriff Fern Woods and our Master Stone Elf (whom I must apologize to for I 'ave no head for names) for their 'elp in organizing everything before that last great fight. Our efforts were coordinated and we were all able t' stay together in one co'esive unit. Our numbers alone show us why we must work together.

The corrupt may be strong but when we put forth careful preparation and replace greed with consideration I know we can be triumphant! I am proud of each and ev'ry one of you! It was an honor t' fight by your sides.

-Miss Alyce Sharp

I felt that there was such udder chaos in most of our battles. However, when we ventured into the land of the corrupt, I was some of the best movements and willingness to work as a team yet. I am very interested to see how this will continue to evolve as we forge our friendships and bonds.

What I propose is that next market day, we call a short meeting. The battle buddy was a good idea, but if it was expanded to small groups. People who know each other well, and can fight well together. Harbors Far has a fair amount of knowledge of this and I at least would be willing to talk a bit on the subject.

-Arrin Fallrith

well... along the line of the tactics

if in battle i was paired up with a rogue i think it could be very beneficial. as a polearm user, i keep enemies at a distance, so they really have to focus their efforts on me to get inside my reach. if there was a rogue who was circling a bit away and keeping an eye on that, they could do their thing, dealing massive damage while enemies can't pay attention, while i can take a good bit of damage. and just hopping in and hopping out and keeping out of danger keeps them from getting to me too long, and then when they turn around to see what is going on, i reset myself and hopefully my roguish friend is already getting out of there.

it seems like a lot of work, but that maneuverable pincer type attack seems to be extremely effective while allowing easy access to y'all's who is sneaky. the only worry is getting cut off from people...

-James the inconceivable of Harbors Far

I am glad the responses to this have been positive and constructive that was my intention. As we begin to learn our strengths and weakness's we will be able to more effectively control the flow of battle. I understand that with such great numbers coming to hopes reach that we will begin to spread but it seemed that every time something occurred we were forced to send runners to multiple encampments which wastes time and is dangerous for the runner. I understand this may become unavoidable it was just a concern I felt needed to be discussed. The effectiveness of the Battle Buddy and Battle Group tactics has always allowed us to act as a unit more effectively and continuing to use these concepts will surely help to strengthen our friendships and our fighting styles.

I thank everyone who has responded to my message and would ask that anyone who has an issue or concern, that pertains to this, they would like to bring up in a constructive and positive environment to feel free to do so.

Captain York,
Deputy Sheriff,

T' make it easier on ourselves wot if our town were able t' purchase some kind of bell, to rally the troops as it were, an' alert all nearby encampments t' our plight? We'd need t' make sure it's plenty loud of course.

-Miss Alyce Sharp

I quite agree, there is abundant talent! As for the disorganization, I can see where the newcomers are coming from. I am a foreigner to these lands and have lived a sheltered life until now. I must apologize for my sloppy tactics and even spell casting! This is the first time I have been in real battles as opposed to training simulations. I am unaware of many people's cultures, ideas and even fighting styles, so I must apologize if I offended anyone with my pre-conceived notions. Everything I know I have learned from books and tutors, but I can see that books can only teach you so much! I am eager to learn and would greatly appreciate any direction or pointers. Thank you to all the wonderful people who fought by my side and protected my back when it was turned, you saved my life more times than I can count!
Regards,
Allendra

I understand that an engineer is coming to Hopes Reach so perhaps we can speak with him or her about setting something up.

-Arrin Fallrith

The Idea of a bell was brought up during the town meeting and we will be consulting the "Engineer" when he arrives on it's practicality and such. And to Allendra and to any others who would like seek me out next Market Day and I would be more than happy to answer any questions or give general tips to aid you in combat and assist you in understanding some of our tactic's. Do not be sad or ashamed of being a new adventurer for we have all been there at one time or another, just know that with so many new adventurer's we had difficulty explaining and showing all of you how things would work but never before had this been an issue. So once again I extended an invitation to any seeking aid in learning the art of group adventuring.

Captain York,
Deputy Sheriff,

Its true theres a lot of learning on tap for all of us, young and old if we want to keep putting sword to the corrup for the forseable future. Its means we all need to learn, grow and become better fighters. I'm happy to help tutor folks a bit here and there but theres some basics I still dont get and some issues that need resolution.

One problem that came up several times this market day was the semi insistance on retreating...

Its got me confused because in each instance, we were winning the fight and close to victory and someone called for a retreat.... now Hoblings arent known for bravery so I have to think, was I the only one confused as to why we should retreat when we were so close to victory? Am I out of touch with what a challenge is? Is this a sign of the lack of trust amongst adventurers?

I'm not sure, but I do know it has to stop, in some instances calls for retreat almost did become disastrous as critical people left their posts or comrades on the line to be cut down before realizing the retreat wasnt genuine. A call for retreat can turn a victory into a staggering defeat. Its one thing to be scared, its another to cost other people their lives. Where we draw the line? I don't know, thoughts?

Maybe this is a topic best spun off into another dream thread.

Fern

Me remember call for retreat in battle with Corrupt when node was destroyed:

Many newer fighters and adventurers were out health and power, all memorized spells gone, weapons destroyed, our leaders lost minds (2 of the 3 not fit to lead- vertigo and berserk), and many adventurers falling and bleeding to death after only one attack from Corrupt. Many blacksmiths down and healers scrambled to help them, but were attacked if tried to get close to help. Very few had full armor or health by end, leading to endless circle of wasted resources. As Corrupt continued to break lines, me and others were first to retreat, because to stay was certain death for us.

It important for stronger fighters to not sacrifice the weaker ones for sake of ambitions, and sometimes it is better to retreat and fight another day rather than winning at any cost. The weak cannot grow strong if the weak die first.

-Cho Ko Nu

Last edited:
Forgive me if I am speaking out of line, but I will share my thoughts over the dreamscape in hopes of adding some light to the discussion. I must agree with Cho Ko Nu on this...I feel that on the occasions that I remember a retreat, it was more than appropriate. Being a spell caster there is little I can do once I run out of spells. For example, I know that I, and many of the other spellcasters around me had run out of spells when we were trying to help Fern win back his mine. I know that your mine is important to you Fern (and the money that comes with it), but I value the lives of those around me (and my own) more than money. For money, in my experience, can never buy you back a life.
As for the tactics, even the most experienced group of adventurers will have sloppy tactics for they are not used to working with each other. I saw a lot of talent waiting to be honed and a lot of eager adventurers wanting to learn. We simply need time and practice. As for myself, I will gladly take up an offer up for that training CaptainYork and/or Fern. What I really need it for is my off-hand, some tricky monster used a spell on me that made me fight with it, I was never so defenseless in my life! :shock:
-Allendra

I believe the call for retreat that Fern is talking about wasn't so much an actual call but several people unsure of our position and feeling scared and wounded began talk of a retreat, sometimes in raised voices, that began to undermine the moral of others around them. Though I'm not positive this is what he meant, this is at least what I noticed.

And to Allendra, I assume you mean that you are a fighter with two weapons and would like to work on using your off-hand weapon more effectively when your primary weapon is disarmed? If so then I would indeed be able to help I am a two weapon fighter of some proficiency and have learned a few things I would be willing to pass on to you.

Captain York,
Deputy Sheriff,

i have lots of time on my travels to dream, not much to do when you're riding in a cart

so i was thinking of expanding the buddy system to be groups of 4 or 5 people with at least 1 person with high armor, 1 person who can refit, and 1 person who can heal. depending on the numbers of people with armor rogues could flank with their buddies and people would have 3 or 4 others to watch out for instead of 16-24. groups can merge together and fight together, but the core is an expanded battle buddy system. this allows groups to be mobile enough to retreat when too injured

instead of having a shield line at the front, you have 2 groups with shield fighters in them, and when getting beaten or drained another group would be ready to take their place. rogues and sky casters could keep the group that is moving from leaving the front group isolated until the other group gets into place.

i think the idea of an expanded battle buddy system would allow more fluidity in battle as well as cut down on the chaos.

With all the talk about the battles this previous market day, I'd like to at least share my observations of our tactics.

During the battle against the corrupt obelisk, which actually went without too many problems until we hit the obelisk itself. I saw many of our more experienced adventurers, including many of our fighters, go to engage the corrupt around it when we arrived. Unfortunately, while that was probably necessary, it left many of the armorers and casters in the rear without enough protection and let many of the corrupt further into our lines than they should have been allowed. At the same time, we had myself and at least one other healer run out of both spells and potions at that point- while new potions we distributed around quickly, I believe many of the new adventurers took that as a sign that we were running low on supplies. Also, Jamina unfortunately fell during this part of the battle, and was sent to the circle when we were unable to heal her in time, and the berserk and vertigo spells that were being thrown hit several of the people that we were looking to for guidance in the fight, including the sheriff. Because of these events occurring in a short period of time, I believe many of us in the rear lines mistakenly saw this as a reflection of how the battle was faring overall, and believed withdrawing would be the remedy to this, rather than calling for more fighters to support our overstretched flanks.

I'm not sure what to suggest to prevent such things from happening in the future, but I believe that is the root cause of the wavering lines that we had, but having a few fighters assigned to stay at the flanks and rear during the whole battle would probably be a good start. Perhaps even having someone checking back between our front and rear on occasion, since it seems that there is a tough time communicating between the two lines in a fight, would help keep morale up. Even in the mine fight against those sword-eaters, we had several points where our casters in the rear were being harassed by our enemy, and that caused them to be hesitant to move forward from the relative safety of the cave walls. And while charging up to form a more unified line would be the best tactical choice, I can see how the instinct for casters to back away from such a group of enemies when confronted could easily cause our lines to split open as they did.

Anyways, I'll wrap things up with the short version of my opinion. We didn't have enough communication between our front line and rear guard, and consequently we had several points in time where a few fighters were needed to fall back and keep our casters and armorers safe, but were unable to tell the fighters this in a timely manner, which caused our lines to waver those few times. Or at least that's how I saw it...

-Benjamin

One thing that I have learn'd in my battles is morale is key.
If people waver and wonder and fear often we become defeated when we could easily win if we charged through the enemy line.
A good example of this is not from this market day but the previous one. It was when we were fighting oozes in that cave that Gabriel lead us too, and Gabriel fell. The moral was super low and we were all feeling defeated and we almost left, but then a miracle happen'd, Debarge, the sneaky son of a' , snuck past the enemy lines and got Gabriel up. This inspired in us a rally to save Gabriel, and threw that momentum we soon crushed the oozes and successfully completed the quest.

What I am saying is often the doubt and fear of death leads to more death and less success. In a battle there should only ever be 1 or two people capable of calling a true retreat otherwise we risk complete collapse of morale and a decimating defeat.

-Thorador Boulderfist

Aye, but what happen when leaders not able to call it, like Corrupt battle last market day?

-Cho Ko Nu

Last edited:
What I think is that we should 'ave a few rankin' officers. I mean, an army doesn't just 'ave a general- or two people in charge at the same time. There's a whole system that goes along with it, specifically made so people know who's next in line should somethin' 'appen to the current commander. While I don' think we need anything so complica'ed it might be 'elpful t' design a more simplified system of our own.

-Alyce

satsukirebel said:
What I think is that we should 'ave a few rankin' officers. I mean, an army doesn't just 'ave a general- or two people in charge at the same time. There's a whole system that goes along with it, specifically made so people know who's next in line should somethin' 'appen to the current commander. While I don' think we need anything so complica'ed it might be 'elpful t' design a more simplified system of our own.

-Alyce

Twas just gonna say the same thing, so agreed.

-Thorador Boulderfist

Thorador said:
satsukirebel said:

-Alyce

Twas just gonna say the same thing, so agreed.

-Thorador Boulderfist

If I wanted to join the army I would join the army.

-Gorka

Back