Tavern for 2015

Laiyesta

(TL;DR At the end for those with an allergy to large amounts of text.)

Hello all, it’s Jack, your (mostly) friendly tavern keeper. I’m very happy to see how many new people we will have joining us, and of course all of the awesome returning players we have. I’m pleased to be coming back for another season to feed all of you hungry people, and my awesome sous chef, Kim, will also be back to help. I plan on keeping things much the same, but there will be a few changes. Some of the changes you will see firsthand, but some you might only feel the effects of.

We are still going to be serving you food more like a real tavern would. That means that, unless we have a problem, you will simply seat yourself and wait for a tavern worker to come take your order, then bring it to you when it is ready. I will have the menu near the kitchen door so that you know what is available. I appreciate your patience and understanding last season when we changed to that format, and I hope you will continue to be patient and enjoy the added immersion this year. We are all working hard to keep your tavern experience as smooth and pleasant as possible. We are aiming to make the Tavern feel as genre-accurate as possible, so that meal times don’t break immersion for everyone.

One thing that will be new(ish) is I will have something to eat available to eat between meals and whenever someone is working in the tavern. This will be something along the lines of a broth or soup, or a few other surprises I am considering. I plan on having it ready to buy for a small amount of IG coin starting at Game On Friday evening, and ending around the final fight each weekend (or whenever we run out, whichever comes first). I know some people come straight from work or school and don’t always have time to eat before the game, so I want to have something available right away. I hope this will add to the overall atmosphere of the tavern. Also, in case it was not clear before, everyone is welcome to buy Tavern items that are sold for IG coin, whether or not you purchased the meal package for the event.

There was a thorough remodel of the kitchen and back room during our off season. I know a little of what to expect, but not everything. I know there is a new fridge, freezer, and cabinets. However, I don’t have many details about the new layout and fixtures.

One effect of this is that, unfortunately, I don’t currently know how much space we can make available for food other than that provided by the Tavern. We will be as accommodating as possible, but with the participation numbers growing, so is the amount of food storage needed by the Tavern itself, so available space is liable to decrease over the course of the season. For the April event, I can’t promise anything until I see the kitchen. For later events, the priority will be medically necessary food first, then pre-arranged events, then individual requests if we have space available. With regard to pre-arranged events, priority is first come, first served, so make sure you let me know at Tavern AT alliancedenver DOT com as soon as you know what Tavern resources you would like to use. Hopefully we won’t have too many schedule conflicts.

For those of you that wake early (I know it’s not a lot of you), I have something special. I started it during the last few events last year but only a few people caught on. With the large participation numbers and table service, it is to everyone’s benefit to spread out mealtimes a bit, rather than everyone coming in at exactly the same time. To encourage early birds, eggs are available cooked to order between 6:30 and 7:30 each day. Be aware that while most of the other breakfast items should be available during Early Bird Hour, some items take longer, and will not be ready until the main breakfast hours. Depending on participation and feedback, Early Bird Hour may be extended for future events, or discontinued.

I wanted to thank everyone for the help they provided last season. When it was known that I needed help keeping the tavern clean during the night, everyone helped. It looked like everyone did what they could to make my weekend better, which was very much appreciated. Thanks to the help I received from all the baronies and independent adventurers, I was able to get about two hours more sleep a night, bringing me up to a luxurious four hours a night before I resumed working with sharp objects.

Another (more fun) thing people can do is help us with any snacks left in the Tavern after game ends- any food that is out on the counters is most likely going into the trash if no one claims it, so feel free to snag anything that looks tasty. Seriously, take it. We want you to.

I can always use help in the back and for anyone who has helped, but I missed my chance to show my gratitude, thank you. If you would like to earn either some gobbies or some coppers by working in the kitchen for a shift, please let me know as far ahead as you can, and please do consider it a commitment. While drop-in help is always welcome, especially during rushes, I plan my menu and additional items based on the staffing level I have for any given time. So, more help means more elaborate and fun dishes, while promised help not showing leads to delays, stressed-out tavern staff, and slower service.

One thing everyone can do to help is, if you have a special dietary need that is not covered by the provided menu, please email me if you will be at an event and would like a meal plan, and let me know your name, your character name, and what you need. I have been able to accommodate a wide range of dietary needs, including for people who didn’t want a “fuss” made about it. So, before you decide that you can’t eat the Tavern food, try me. I can’t promise to accommodate every possible diet, but I would appreciate being given a chance to try. Also, if you contacted me about special needs, don’t forget to tell whomever takes your order that you have special need X (or your name, if you prefer privacy about your diet), rather than simply ordering a partial meal. We have had several special meals that went unclaimed, and we want to make sure you get the meal meant just for you.

Finally, I will continue posting the menu for each event the Friday two weeks before the event. I am aiming to have it up by noon. Thank you for your patronage, and I look forward to feeding and roleplaying with you through the 2015 season.

TL;DR: I will be running the Tavern again this year; Kim is coming back, too. We’re keeping the table service in the name of immersion. There will now be soup (or something else nice) available to buy for good Acarthian coin in the tavern from the start of each gathering until around the final battle. You don’t have to buy the meal plan to enjoy anything you pay IG coin for. The Tavern has been remodeled, and attendance is rising, so we don’t know yet how much spare storage we will have to offer- email ASAP if you will need some- priority goes to people who have a medical need to keep food handy, then first come first serve for events. If you come early to breakfast (between 6:30 and 7:30), you’re in for a nice surprise. Thanks so much for working to keep the Tavern clean last year- sleep deprived chefs are bad news for everyone. The food left on the counters after game ends is up for grabs- so grab some! IC or OOC opportunities to work in the tavern, for copper or gobbies, respectively. PLEASE let us know if you have a special diet and want Tavern food- give us a chance to show you how awesome safe food can be. Finally, look for the menu for each event around noon on the Friday two weeks before the event.

Jack

While I undersand the want for immersion and approaching it this way (More immersion is always good.)... In honesty I find table service annoying and time consuming. I as a player would like to be able to pop in, get what I need, and leave. This just isnt convenient. So while I really do appreciate your efforts! you've always been wonderful! this kinda makes me less likely to do food at the tavern : / (not a huge problem really in the end, just voiceing one viewpoint)

Last edited:
B, I understand where you're coming from. Everyone wants different things from their LARP experience. Also I'm pretty sure everyone knows that you can't please everyone. I try to give everyone what thy want but I know I fail at this. I know several people that would like things different in some way.

Your opinion, along with everyone else's, matter a great deal to me. That means I would welcome feedback, good or bad, to help make things better. Up to this point I've have overwhelmingly positive feedback about the table service. But I haven't heard from most of the people. If I do something that causes problems with most of the people then I will change it some or drop it completely.

Thanks B, truly, for your feedback. If others wish to let me know their thoughts on anything tavern related please do. On here as a post or a pm, on Facebook or by email.

So, as I've never been before, is alcohol served in the tavern? I know it's listed as a No-No in the rules, but I wasn't sure if there was a local exception? I don't drink myself (for personal reasons)... just curious is all.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I was curious because, even though I don't drink, I do enjoy brewing beer and mead for friends and family. I, personally, enjoy pre-alcohol mead... mostly because it's really sweet and I love the taste of honey. Thanks again for the info!

Last edited:
I know some of our players have been talking about the possibility of non-alcoholic beer, mead, ale, etc... either brewing or purchasing for game. And of course if someone wanted to homebrew some root beer or cream soda or other homebrewed sodas, that would be amazing too. Some people are playing characters who are brewers, and so they fill bottles up with various non-alcoholic mixes or drinks they've made, or they put custom labels on glass soda bottles (I'm really not actually sure as to the process behind the drinks made by our PC brewers but they're tasty and fun).

The only stipulation is... it has to be alcohol-free! No alcohol, drugs, or cigarettes allowed on site.

I know some of our players have been talking about the possibility of non-alcoholic beer, mead, ale, etc... either brewing or purchasing for game. And of course if someone wanted to homebrew some root beer or cream soda or other homebrewed sodas, that would be amazing too. Some people are playing characters who are brewers, and so they fill bottles up with various non-alcoholic mixes or drinks they've made, or they put custom labels on glass soda bottles (I'm really not actually sure as to the process behind the drinks made by our PC brewers but they're tasty and fun).

The only stipulation is... it has to be alcohol-free! No alcohol, drugs, or cigarettes allowed on site.

Thank you very much. I had no idea what was the norm at a game, so thanks for the heads up. If I get into the game maybe I can bring a small keg of NO alcohol mead and see if anyone likes it.... which is kind of hard not to since it tastes like honey!

Just to expand on Dani's point above -- Not only is no alcohol allowed "on site," no alcohol is allowed at any Alliance-sponsored event: Such as our recent Light the Way roleplay day, even though it was free to play, or an Alliance adventure demonstration at a convention, or events of that nature. This is a departure from what some other boffer systems allow culturally, so the point can't be emphasized too strongly: No alcohol at Alliance events.

Trace
"Fun Police"

Just to expand on Dani's point above -- Not only is no alcohol allowed "on site," no alcohol is allowed at any Alliance-sponsored event: Such as our recent Light the Way roleplay day, even though it was free to play, or an Alliance adventure demonstration at a convention, or events of that nature. This is a departure from what some other boffer systems allow culturally, so the point can't be emphasized too strongly: No alcohol at Alliance events.

Trace
"Fun Police"

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Back