Tavern Operation

Jorundr

Artisan
Paul,

Not sure what you have in the works mate, so here's what I did when I was running my Chapter in Colorado I stopped doing this when I hit 50 active but it seems to work for smaller games.

Friday Nights- Tavern was open till a little after midnight typically 1-2am ish. this was a dedicated NPC or PC whomever.

Saturday "Morning" tavern would open at 9am serve breakfast till about 11am then close
((the PC/NPC would have everything prepped so at 9am all they did was serve breakfast))

Saturday "Afternoon" tavern would open at 3pm and run until 5pm Logistics was also being done at this time as well so you'd get your food sit down and do your tags... it also prevents people from milling about and bogging down the staff with irrelevant questions afterwards the tavern would close until dinner
((Again at 3pm the Tavern would strictly be serving food nothing else))

Saturday "Night" Dinner would be served promptly at 9pm The tavern would stay open till 11pm

Saturday "Night" snacks I would reopen the Tavern again from 12pm till about 2am for snacks and people on late modules. I would promptly close at 2am however.

*If they ran the tavern for the weekend they got maxed out on Loose and 120 goblins
* we gave out 60 goblin stamps to waiters and waitresses if they served food during every single shift.
*We had a list of food being served at each event tenatively..typically I knew 2 weeks before the event.. everyone who wanted food had to pre-reg for food.. also if you didnt pre-reg for food and showed up at the door I tried to always plan for 5 people not showing up or showing up at the door.. so I'd serve em that food.

For me this worked.. again it gave the PC / NPC time to play and enjoy themselves without feeling like a slave to the tavern.

Weve got some new plans for the tavern we are still trying to hash out.

My tavern lady and GM are hard at work figuring out something that would work for everyone involved.

One question I do have...

Aside from the food allergies I know about, what other foods should we steer clear of?

Paul

Dinner I like making food that will stick your ribs
Lunches I like to make food that you can eat on the go...hotdogs and buns, grilled cheese, hamburgers on a george foreman grill are heavenly for dinner and lunch
Breakfast I like either cereal, eggs and toast, hashbrowns on a griddle something that will fill you up but not bog you down from the fats in it.

No matter how much one might think it is, Chilsagna is never the right answer. :mrgreen:

I prefer to avoid anything that is a possible vector for food poisoning, since we very rarely have the proper equipment for food holding or sanitation at camps. Eggs, non precooked poultry, fish, dairy other than cheeses, that sort of thing.

Really heavy foods aren't great either, as they tend to make one regret moving quickly for some time thereafter. And everyone sharing a cabin would appreciate avoiding beans as a main dish. :roll:

I have a whole folder full of ideas for this sort of thing. I have three basic requirements. Game food must :

A. Be simple to prepare and serve. (Minimum time investment/cleanup required.)
B. Be reasonably inexpensive, so as to keep tavern costs and prices down.
C. Be desirable to the players.

I think the best tavern food I've so far seen has be when Nancy was running the Caladore tavern in Kzoo, and she produced the meatball subs of doom. They fit into all three categories above with miles to spare. Also, drinks are utterly important.

Not that I think about this kind of thing at all.... :mrgreen:

doverman said:
Do you not have a refrigerator on site? :D

Usually that's a yes, but it's more the lack of chafing dishes and the like to keep stuff warm while the rest of the meal is put together that's my worry. Cooking individually for 20-30 people isn't really practical, so some stuff's going to have to sit around for a bit while the limited tools one wants to haul to a game take up the slack.

Wraith said:
doverman said:

Usually that's a yes, but it's more the lack of chafing dishes and the like to keep stuff warm while the rest of the meal is put together that's my worry. Cooking individually for 20-30 people isn't really practical, so some stuff's going to have to sit around for a bit while the limited tools one wants to haul to a game take up the slack.

Ah! OK. We have a fully stocked kitchen with two convection ovens, one gas oven and oodles of large pans... we're lucky in that fashion, I know.

I have done cooking on a large scale (20-25 people) in the SCA many times, so I do understand the logistical problems you are facing. pre-cooking is the key!

Wraith said:
doverman said:

At work the daily food venders some times use Alumanum roasting pans (disposable EZ cleanup) with those chafing warmer candle things under them. Just an idea.

Guys,

I apologize for the delay in informing you guys about how the tavern will be set up. I had to cancel our meeting to get it squared away due to the flu. The information will be out hopefully sometime next week.

Rob Sachs

sorry you're not feeling well, kat. hope you get better

Allrighty... I will effort the "meatball sandwhiches of doom" to be put into the menu as of the opener... Mayhaps I can find some cheap balls, a rice cooker or crookpot etc.

Paul

Yeah he got sick last Feb and got me sick too.... I think Buttercups a typhoid mary.

See guys... it wasn't me who got you sick... hehe

I have access to alot of cereal.... I'll be serving some at the opener... there's plenty to go around! :D

Back