Team or independant

Alor said:
As a ~mostly~ independant player, my perception is that the game is becoming more and more team-orriented, and it is more and more difficult to function without being on a team. The other threads on the board about magic items and ritualist magic seem to reinforce that thought.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this perception, or if it's different elsewhere.
I think that much of the curfluffle about "team-oriented play vs independent play" is a strawman. In the majority, groups simply are more survivable than individuals. You increase the available resources and reduce the amount of needed effort.

There seems to be a perception that some methods of play would suddenly alter this dynamic (magic items, classless systems, etc.). I would suggest that this is due to limited imagination in plot writing. Even the guy with five of every skill in the book can't be everywhere at once. Just write a plotline that requires two or more people doing something at the same time, and poof, you've encouraged teamplay.

I joined the game as part of team with some OOG acquaintances from work, and I've been playing with them for four years ... and we've become good friends, participating with each other to celebrate and observe all kinds of life events.

I played a solo once (at a low-level several years ago) and had a load of fun. Imagine spending a night, all alone, without a ward or even a bed to sleep in, hiding from the baddies while trying to sleep sitting up, a crossbow in one hand and a hand full of bolts in the other..... I had such good fun that weekend. Still, I prefer to play as part of an adventuring band.

Alor said:
.. As a ~mostly~ independant player, ...

Not quite true - Alor has been a member of the Town Watch ... and at least one adventuring band has your back quite a bit of the time.

One of my characters has remained independent of any specific team for the majority of the time that I have played her. Yet Ciaarah never was a loner. She was always trying to help other people or teams out. You aren't going to get rich being alone. You aren't going to get the magic items (or magic swords) being completely independent. You will need help to accomplish goals. That is how it is in life and in fantasy.

But there is a certain amount of freedom and fun being independent. You don't have to deal with team drama. You don't have to worry about modifying your costume to wear a team tabard. But then again you have to fund your own ward/circle. And unless you work it and are loved by everyone--you don't have people watching your back.

There are ways around this. Ciaarah created an Order to spread information and knowledge. Now we have lots of members and have a good time. That is in many ways like a team--only one dedicated for one common goal. You could join a guild and have a similar situation.

But it is so much easier to have friends you can trust IG to go to for aid. I think that is one of the great things about this game--it is a social game that requires people to work together. Independent or team, that remains. :)

Ondreij said:
Alor said:
.. As a ~mostly~ independant player, ...

Not quite true - Alor has been a member of the Town Watch ... and at least one adventuring band has your back quite a bit of the time.

That's why I said "mostly"... he spends a lot of time WITH groups (2 in particular), but hasn't joined one. The Watch is a little different, I think you'll agree, than most of the guilds/teams/households (pick the name that best suits)

Aven said:
One of my characters has remained independent of any specific team for the majority of the time that I have played her. Yet Ciaarah never was a loner. She was always trying to help other people or teams out. You aren't going to get rich being alone. You aren't going to get the magic items (or magic swords) being completely independent. You will need help to accomplish goals. That is how it is in life and in fantasy.

But there is a certain amount of freedom and fun being independent. You don't have to deal with team drama. You don't have to worry about modifying your costume to wear a team tabard. But then again you have to fund your own ward/circle. And unless you work it and are loved by everyone--you don't have people watching your back.

There are ways around this. Ciaarah created an Order to spread information and knowledge. Now we have lots of members and have a good time. That is in many ways like a team--only one dedicated for one common goal. You could join a guild and have a similar situation.

But it is so much easier to have friends you can trust IG to go to for aid. I think that is one of the great things about this game--it is a social game that requires people to work together. Independent or team, that remains. :)

Oh, I agree completely on several of your points here... team drama, costuming... but especially the social aspect of the game. Whether on a team or not, I'd think it would go without saying that in order to really enjoy playing you've got to interact with the other players... and that (PC-PC interaction) is where at least half the fun comes from, I think.

David (Alor) I have a tabard in Nlack and Gold JUST your size.
lol

Seriously though... I favor team play. For me I like playing Nero with my FRIENDS. I solo in WOW, I team in Alliance. There have been times that my favorite moments are when Im with the court of Nordenn, just hanging out and enjoying one anothers company. To me there is nothing more fulfilling than standing side by side with my commrades in a module and knowing that sink or swim, were in it together.

Plus its so hard to cook for one :p

~Erica

After only playing my PC three times, I've discovered that I like being on a team more than being independent. Even when Laguna was unaffiliated he was still picked up by groups and teams as an extra sword-arm. The group/team setup not only gave important support and command, but also allowed others to see your amazing feats of bravery. To me, showing up in someone's highlights list on the forums is the ultimate high.

Since I joined Blythedale, being in a team has taken a whole new meaning. Baron Drake takes care of his team and I get to hang out with characters I may have not met otherwise.

Collin / Laguna

I have to say there are more advnatages to being on a team. But not having to answer to anyone is kool.

I play both......

In my home chapter I am part of a kickass team that takes care of eachother. When I travel I hang out with others but essentially I am independant. I try not to make my team look bad..but sometimes you just cant help certain situations!

; )

O

my character is not in a TEAM persay...however I consider my character to be part of the Geffrin house peeps although not in the house...Tzydl is always at the winterfeasts where she meets only the house geffrin people and when in game I may find that she is a bit less of a group person but because my three best friends in the universe play ...well then it ends up being a group or team thing because in game or out of game I'd do anything for them. if you play without being friends with any other players it would probably be easier to go it alone...especially if you play some sorta dark and mysterious type that is quiet and sits alone...although you may have people be reluctant to heal you on the battlefield HEHEHEHEHEH not sure if you'll rob 'em or something if they get close i say that my perceptions are that there is ALOT of team stuff that goes on...houses and adventuring groups and stuff if i didn't have friends playing already i wouldn't want to play because i am shy ...i would never be able to just walk up and become part of a group

Back