Thanks, Everyone

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Hey y’all,

I just want to say thank you to everyone for all of the good times over this last season in Gavaria. I’ve been playing Alliance for just shy of 15 years - half of my life - and this year has still been some of my favorite time LARPing. Our chapter has an extraordinary player culture these days, and I've had an absolute blast working on the Plot Team this year. Claire, Sid, Emma, Bryan, Stephanie: y’all are hands-down the best campaign plot team I’ve had the honor of working with. Y’all are an absolutely incredible team, and I’ve loved every second of working with you.

There’s a lot about doing Plot that I love. I love to make neat props and weapons, to dress up in fun costumes and makeup, to come up with memorable characters to interact with, to think of interesting mechanics for encounters, to see the plan all come together, and more. But above all else, I love seeing players having a good time with what I’ve done. That’s always been my bottom line when it comes to LARP: players having fun.

But it’s a lot of work to make that happen, and there’s a lot of struggles, burdens, and strain on me on the back end that makes it harder and harder. With my mental and physical health declining for the last while, I decided some months ago that it’s time for me to step back from the hustle and bustle of game running for the foreseeable future.

Don’t worry, I won’t be completely gone, and it won't be instantaneous. You’ll probably still see me at events from time to time, maybe PCing every now and then or helping the Plot team with a little thing here and there, and if you need me for anything, hit me up. I definitely intend to keep up with the many friendships I’ve built in this great community. But it’s my goal to step back from having LARP utterly consume as much of my life as it has for the last decade and find some new thing(s) to focus on and hopefully help soothe the strain I’ve been living with. LARP has been the biggest thing in my life for so long that it’s going to be really difficult to pull back, and I’m genuinely a bit nervous about what to do with myself instead of obsessively and compulsively working on LARP stuff like I have for honestly as long as I can remember. But, I’m sure I can figure it out and become a healthier Alexander in the end. And who knows, maybe I'll come back and staff games again someday in the future; only time will tell.

Thanks again y'all, for everything.

Sincerely,
Alexander

¡You are a delight and a wonder, Alexander! I have enjoyed the rollicking ride of games we've run and played together and will miss your inspiration and imagination. But, ¡I also wish you the best of adventures! Please do come back and play when you feel up to it - I'll miss you

John R. G

I said it once and I will say it again. You made this game shine. Whether it's telling stories from 'back in the day', your quick wit, your prop making skills, your storytelling skills, your puzzles and mechanics, your costuming, your everything. Your dedication is an inspiration to us all. I am very happy that you are taking the break you deserve, and you will be missed. I will be ecstatic when you come to PC with us in the future.

Back