The appearance of "The Puzzle"

Shen [he/him]

Scholar
Chicago Staff
Marshal
This is going to be vague, and it is deliberate. I am however able to explain why...

Very Important
if you have successfully completed the puzzle which appeared

- tell no one of:

• what you encountered
  • What you saw
  • Any clues as to how you solved the puzzle
  • The answer to the puzzle
  • Do not help anyone in any way solve the puzzle
- you may share:
  • what you learned  from what you saw and encountered. You simply can't describe the high detail every neuonce of your exposure. Focus on what you learned from the experience and not the experience itself. (oog, always attempt to describe what your character learned from plots description- don't repeat plots discription if it can be avoided.)

There are many Puzzles known to exist in the world. They are of unknown origin (or at least not shared with me) they are highly sought after and highly valuable. They are an object which can be used to barter a kings ransom, declare war as equal as declare peace, and shape the direction of Kingdoms for years or even decades.

Some known facts shared with us by our Visiting Dark Elf Envoy <>
  • Each puzzle is different.
  • Each puzzle may only be completed by a person once.
    • stories say per lifetime, other stories say within significant portions of their life. Either accounting for the longer lived, or the trails and significant changes which can fundamentals alter the direction of one's life.
  • if someone who has completed a puzzle, shares with you that puzzles answer, or helps you in any way from obtaining that answer on your own - the puzzle will not reveal anything to you as nothing will happen.

Now, the reason these puzzles are so valuable and sought after, when a person completes it... it will share with them a vision or experience of something they need to know. This is an important distinction seperate from what you may want to know. One may never approach a puzzle with the intent to find specific answers to any of life's questions. However as it is based on "need" kingdoms/groups/large/small have been known to cycle a significant portion of their population through a puzzle for several generations before parting with it. How the puzzle judges "you" singular from "you" royal - is unknown. But, any story or legend known of them is that the puzzles always know, and are never wrong - what they share is what "you" need.

Our visitor also shared that this puzzle was a gift, presumeably freely given, from one of the Kingdom of Night Primarcs. Though he would not say which one - only that he recognized it and was surprised that it was given up to such strangers freely.

Are this about that strange wooden slab in the Idle Hours with all the letters missing? Are this some kind of night elf magics? It seems a right cruel trick to have information some folk do need to know and keep it to themselves, iffen you ask me. Are the primarcs really cruel or just greedy that they make this kind of game? In any case, it do sound like some cave and tunnel nonsense.

Ratite Hudsonia Zenorum the one and Only
Valet and Livery to House Aviary

That is the puzzle in question.

While other puzzles do exist, though no others had their appearance described to me.

Please read my missive again and if it is unclear or holds any confusion or may be interpreted multiple ways, please ask me to clarify the questions you have.

No where have I said that it can't be shared. I said the limitations which have been discovered/proven/described to -how- information is shared.

Further how the puzzle functions and the important information of how one could inadvertently prevent the puzzle for working & revealing information for another person in the future.

Now, as the puzzle was described by a subordinate of the claimed gift giver - I acknowledge the primarc may not be the true benefactor as well as acknowledge that its value could have been inflated due to the ignorance of the receiver. This said, we have no reason so suspect such, and nothing which contradicts the information. There fore while our conversing may be private, private discourse often leads to loose lips when not realizing your not in isolated company of friends.

So let's not assign motive, intent, feelings on a Ruler of a kingdom who boasts a not insignificant military, ensures the personal safety of the remaining Stone Elves, and multiple citations of the most powerful navy of every kingdom.

We can safely assume the unknown primarc sends envoy in good faith & promising future relationships. If they wanted us dispatched - I suspect we'd already have been a distant memory with a footnote of bizarre weather that one fall.

Mayhap I are reading you wrong. You do say this mysterious night elf do have powerful and important information - they did make a magic puzzle that must be solved before they do decide to reveal that information. They did cast magics that do no allow folk to work together on the puzzle. And all for... er, reasons? What are I missing?

If the primarcs do have this information, why are they playing games with it instead of either giving it away or selling it for a reasonable sum. It do sound like villainy. It do sound like the kind of games sadistic folk do play with scared children.

I do hear what you be saying about powerful folk with armies, but I are not one to cower down simply for the sake of a mess of pikeman and celestial cannon. Wrong do be wrong.

I think you are overthinking it. I don't think they made the puzzle. It's more a 'we had this cool thing and as a token of peace we give it to you.' They probably have no idea why it is the way it is just as much as we do, only that it works that way.

-Lorelei

Oh, well - that be a different school o'fish entirely! I do think it mean we need must look into where they do come from, but that be another shoal. A couple o'the Foreman's men what were saying they be fay-something-or-other - they did speak like these folk be a rotten sail on top of foul weather.

At any rate - Belay my last! Takesy backsies! It be a right nice gift from the primarcy and methinks I be saying t'anks next time I be sailing their caves.

My appreciation to you, Treespeaker! The night elves be spared my fishy wrath today thanks to you. I be owing you a drink.

But also, where be the puzzle that do require knowing whisky blends by taste? That be the one for me.

Last edited:
On behalf of the maker of the puzzles, since the answer gives you information you need at the moment, doing the puzzle personally likely aligns the magic to your frame of mind, allowing it to best help.

It sounds like the same puzzle has the capability to show each person a separate set of information, so this information may not have been able to be freely given by its creator. Maybe a creature of power made the item as a means for mortals of multiple generations the ability to gain it's knowledge, even after it's personal passing from this world.

Binar

With the emergence of a new puzzle and apparently the sale of an older one.... I want to remind everyone of the seuto rules and guidelines about these puzzles.

Also, if we have one, we should never sell it or part with it until we have gotten our full use from it. Remember, Kingdoms have gone to war over these puzzles and have been known to keep one for generations to cycle it through the majority of their population.

Back