The Avatars of Power and You: Ongoing Notes of Avatars of Power in Rathfall

Overview

The Avatars of Power are beings that take the form of personified aspects of nature in Rathfall. Their presence has been documented for longer than written history both in the forms of fairy tales and scientific research.

In Selunari culture, it is believed that Elder Sky, the head and ‘father’ of the Avatars, created them and gifted them to the people to ‘use the light to fight the darkness’. In ancient text, ‘the darkness’ can also be translated to necromancy. It is only those that show to be good people and capable fighters that can wield these magics and protect the realm.

Most of the Avatars are asleep at the moment. However, they are still able to communicate through communion using aspects of them as Catalysts. (Example: With the aid of Moon Father, I was able to commune with Elder Sky and speak to him about these things).

This is a list of the Avatars provided by Elder Sky himself. Under them is the current status of said Avatars, if they have a herald among the populace, and notes about each one. They will be updated as more is found out about them.

Moon Father
Active
Herald: Baroness Fallingstar

Personification of the Moon. Keeper of Secrets and Protector of Civilization. It is through him, the Children of the Moon, who he considers his children, are blessed with the ability to fight ‘the things that go bump in the night’ in the form of werewolves. Anything done under his moonlight, he knows. Has shown to be a stalwart ally to the Unbounded. He is also married to the Mother of the Tides. During the Night of the Long Fang, he was removed from his Mantle and killed. Through the efforts of the Unbounded, he was saved and later awaken to his current status now.

Mother of the Tides
Active
Herald: Lady Asher

Personification of the Ocean. A lesson in the need for balance. Has shifting moods much like the ocean's tide. Has sway over the Tritons. Married to the Moon Father. Woke up when Moon Father died during the Night of the Long Fang. Cursed the lands of Rathfall as punishment for the harm that fell on Moon Father. The Unbounded are hoping that his recent awakening will convince her to remove said curse.

Brother Mountain
Asleep
Herald: None

Personification of rock and stone. Said to be an Avatar of light and dark. Came to DeSylvia during the ritual during the vampire campaign as he was embedding malachite into his flesh. Aided him to survive the ritual. Malachite is his gift to the world to fend of the darkness.

Sister of the Fallen Leaves
Unknown

Personification of Nature. Believed to be the reason that dryad are made the way they are.

Matriarch of Storms
Unknown

Personification of storms. Nothing known as of yet.

Foresight/Regret
Active/Unknown

Personification of Foresight and Regret. Twin brothers. Foresight was saved from a Mistweaver lab that he was captured in for a long time. Consumes precious metals to empower him. Can give you predictions on courses of actions. This is not a future predicting ability but a risk calculating ability. His brother, Regret, is ‘a little more violent’. It is unknown if he is awake or if he is still sleeping.

Bastard Blight
Dead

Personification of the Blight. Was captured by vampires and used and abused to spread the Blight. His chosen people were the hobblings, in which he granted them the ability to resist the Blight.
According to a fae, the Vampire’s controlled bastard blight to push the blight in such a manner to ensure they had political power and were able to guide the kingdoms within the expanse to their wishes and desires. Adventurers were unfunded and blamed for what occurred, until a new king was crowned. This was an early blight. The blight returned, and again the adventurers had grown to a point where they were a non-entity, until they forced the people of the expanse to rise up in rebellion. But the Blight had taken hold of the kingdom at that point. During the vampire campaign, the Unbounded found him and killed him at his request to end the suffering that he faced at the hands of the vampires. His last action was removing the gift he gave to the hobblings. His death did not stop the Blight spread but slowed it down significantly. Many are still unsure if his death was a good thing.

Elder Sky
Asleep

Personification of the night sky. Giver of Knowledge. Provider of ‘the light against the darkness’. Said to have created all of the Avatars of Power. His chosen people are the Selunari, in which he gave them the ability to commune with the stars to share information with each other. Is the oldest and most powerful one of all the Avatars. Desires for all his children to be awaken ‘for the sake of the Mistsphere’. When they are all awake, he will awaken.

Beings of Note

Alloysious the ‘Avatar of Light’ - Not a true Avatar, but the misplaced Mantle of Bastard Blight. Proceed with caution but protect at all cost.

If you have any more information about these being, please share and I will add them to the notes! ~Astraea ☆

Last edited:
I didn't meet this Bastard Blight- and this is the first I've heard of him, honestly- but if the problem was him being forced to spread the blight by his captors- should we maybe now work on bringing him back? I don't think these creatures can ever actually die (point in case, the moonfather), so I imagine it's possible. If we can bring him back, fix him up, and keep him out of the hands of vampires, maybe he'd help push it back? I'm probably missing something, since this posting is all the context I have.

-Bada

Also, do all the avatars have a chosen people? Do all the protected races have an avatar that chooses them (this would mean we're missing several from the list)?

I believe that Bastard Blight was a container for the Blight. So yes, I do think that bringing him back, and protecting him is the goal in the future. Elder Sky asked me to wake up all of his children and he is one of them. However, I am not sure how to bring back a 'dead' avatar or what kind of power it will require, so I am wanting to awaken a few others before trying to doing so. As of right now, he is better protected dead than alive.

And it seems to be a pattern with the ones we have spoken to to have a sort of choosen people, yes. More research will need to be done to look into the idea more.

It may be important to note that, at least for the MF, his power and place is held in a mantle. The mantle seemed a physical thing he actually has to don in order to assume his role. I assume the others are similar.

I would guess that awakening a 'dead' avatar would be to have someone else assume the mantle.

Binar

It may be important to note that, at least for the MF, his power and place is held in a mantle. The mantle seemed a physical thing he actually has to don in order to assume his role. I assume the others are similar.

I would guess that awakening a 'dead' avatar would be to have someone else assume the mantle.

Binar

Binar,

I believe you are partially correct. Based on the fall out of Night of the Long Fang when we almost asphyxiated on the moon. I took off the hooded Mantel and put it on the throne; which we then sacrificed spells and in my case rituals from my spirit to. The Mantel took his outline before we were rifled back. Yet, after the casting this last market. He came back much in physical appearance as he was before.

There is as I suspect a deeper connection there. If his Mantel and the Moon Mantel are the same. I wore the thing for hours and felt nothing. Now putting aside my mental and emotional state I have touched mantels of power similar (using past experience as a guide), I would hope that I was not totally oblivious to what I was wearing. This requires more study.

Baroness FallingStar

Yes, please! Study it! I encourage all to research and report back!

I am deeply curious as to how the Mantle and the physical satellite of the moon interact. My intention is not to be too rude or imprudent.

Baroness FallingStar

Small update to Bastard Blight info

Back