The Beacon #2

Fellow Citizens

My first publication was one of impulse, of inspiration. The heroic sacrifice of Regent Cole showed me that only through action can redemption be found. Only through action can injustice be overcome. He was my inspiration to take action but I realized that events occur all the time that might inspire or redeem us and yet remain unknown, lost, never to be heard. That is what inspired me to write. I wanted everyone to have a chance to hear his tale and be moved by it. But it doesn’t stop with that one tale, does it? Would it do justice to Master Cole’s sacrifice if I told only his story? I think not. The people need to know that there are still heroes in the world who fight for them, that bravery and courage and chivalry still exist. The heroes need to know that there are still people who care that they keep on fighting, who appreciate the sacrifices they make.

However there are other tales that can be lost as well, darker ones, hidden by confusion, lies, broken promises and half-truths. I can’t ignore the harm these shadows cause. Such fallacies can keep a tyrant in power, paralyze a good man in indecision or even foster misplaced fear. If I am to illuminate the good, I must also shield against these evils by exposing them for what they are. Maybe some of the darker ones will lose their power, others might be influenced to change their ways. I am naïve enough to hope that some positive change might come of it.

It is clear that to truly serve the people, The Beacon must cast a light across the water seeking legend and infamy, heroes and villains, cutting through the fog so that land can safely be found. That is exactly what I intend to do.

-Delia Thorne

Back