The Beacon #3

Greetings Fellow Citizens,

It’s time to talk about our new High Regent, the infamous Renley Firstborn. Since there is already a price on my head I don’t have much reason to be shy of the topic.

Renly Firstborn: charismatic, well dressed and power mad – it’s no surprise that Renly flew through the ranks of the esteemed Brotherhood of the Light. It’s a little hazier though how he became a regent, and I remain in awe of whatever political maneuverings he managed that won him the lofty seat he holds now. Of course, having something like a personal rabid army at his beckon call probably didn’t hurt.

Leaving his qualifications aside for now, lets review what High Regent Firstborn has done for Wayside since his promotion. He has “absorbed” the Earth Guild into his own guild, the aforementioned militaristic & blood-thirsty Brotherhood, effectively halting the earnest study of Earth magics in the region. He has summoned all scholars of Earth magic to his training camps, with disastrous results, as Thargosia knows all too well. Speaking of Thargosia, Renly and his Brotherhood continue to “prepare for war” which is another way of saying that despite all their oaths against undead and their grand promises of protection, they have done nothing to forestall or avenge the massacre. Renly seems instead to have focused on raising fines and issuing edicts that make it illegal to speak out against him. Meanwhile, he appointed the founder of his beloved Brotherhood to Renley’s own former regency in Briarpass, sending the elderly man on a dangerous tour of the lands which also had a tragic end - one that Renley continues to publicly deny. In fact, not only does Renley deny the loss of Regent Cole, but mysterious edicts continue to be issued as if Cole were safely esconced in Arbor toiling at the political work he never had a chance to see to. Yet we all know the truth. We know that Regent Cole met his final death some months ago.

What is Renley playing at? What does he have to gain by lying to the people, pretending that Cole still lives? Is he scrambling to manipulate the other leaders in The Brotherhood of the Light? Or is he just stalling until he can find a new regent? Perhaps it was Renly’s plan all along that Cole be killed so he could secretly usurp his power.

After all, who are we to counter the word of the High Regent?

-Delia Thorne

Delia,

They also tried to recruit me and a few other local Earth caster to my knowledge, however after I refused the offer they seem to back down and leave me be. It is disheartening to hear that training of peaceful caster has been becoming hazardous. I will look into it more and see if outside help can lend a hand to inspire what I believe true healers and combat medics should be. The people come first: Soldiers, Farmers, Adventurers, Nobel men, Families, and Friends. I will help all who need it and no one will stop me from up holding my beliefs and standards. As for dealing with the undead armies, train hard hard work with others to stay alive for they are the ones to help you if you fall. If you have questions seek your answers, knowledge should be shared and lives should be saved.

I understand actions are needed to be taken, however laws should be followed. The laws are meant to protect the innocent and serve its people. Just remember this: with the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. The actions that do this will forever work against us when we need the people the most.

Back