The Beacon #4

Fellow Citizens,

Adventurers are a mixed blessing in Wayside, perhaps everywhere. At their best they protect the people, restore the land, return the found and avenge the fallen. At their worst they kill more than they heal, destroy more than they salvage, take more than is due them and wreak general havoc at a whim.

Lets talk briefly on a few of those mixed blessings, the three adventurers who are also Masters of Wayside. One has been absent so long I don't even know their name. Then we have the illustrious Dramthin Hartsboon, who was at least gallant and spirited, until he up and disappeared without so much as a word to the people under his care. Last but not least we have Mistress Lydia Fallingstar, who does do some good for her people, but who frequently misses a forest for a mushroom she's trying to collect. She travels extensively building alliances with foreign diplomats, but seems at a loss how to deal with the politicians here at home. She encourages refugees to camp on one part of her lands, while on another a bakery of all things is opened by her Biata friend, who is also an adventurer by the way and who could do a lot more good on the front lines than staying home baking cupcakes.

Some people say the adventurers aren’t worth the trouble, but I don't think we should dismiss them that easily. Whether we like it or not, we need heroes. They may seem few and far between, but there is the occasional adventurer who has what it takes to be a real Hero. Many adventurers have good hearts, though some are misguided. Even the darker ones have lent their strength when it was needed most, however well compensated. Let us not villainize all adventurers for the villains among them. Let us not forget the children who have been rescued and the refugees who made it to safety. Let us not forget the dangerous creatures that have been dealt with and the vampires the adventurers fight on our behalf even now. Without adventurers the dark and tumultuous times we face would be much, much worse.

However, the adventurers could have a little more patience and understanding when it comes to the people they try to help. Sometimes the adventurers forget what it is to be truly afraid. They are so used to having a strong blade or a spell between them and danger that they forget what the view looks like unobstructed. They forget that while their adventuring spirit sets them apart, it does not make them better than the townsfolk, or the craftsmen or the farmers that need their protection. We all have our roles to play. We must all work together, valuing each other, if we are to defeat our enemies and make Wayside great.

-Delia Thorne

I find i' interesting tha' you talk abou' how our adventurin' spirit doesn't se' us apart from townsfolk or craftsmen while at the same time takin' a dig a' another adventurer for opera'ing a bakery and choosin' to suppor' trade.

I'm sorry bu' I don't believe you support your point very well at all.

-Miss Alyce Sharp

I believe what miss Delia is trying to say is that some of us adventurers act as though we are above those we protect. I know I have been accused of this a few times and I'm not sure about the others who may have been or might be guilty of it. There is turmoil between the adventurers and the towns folk because of this and I have had all winter to think on the matter.

I personally would like to apologize if I have acted as though I am better than anyone. I know that I am better than that to think that because of the life I have chosen that others who are not like me are lower. I am deeply sorry for even seeming like I believed that. Without the merchants, the farmers, and the refugees who once lived their lives as bakers, painters, seamsters or any other profession we as adventurers would struggle to make our lifestyle possible. I know that I have to go to a tailor to fix the clothing that I muck up and tear when fighting for those who can't. And to a merchant for supplies that I can find or make. The blacksmith who makes the weapons to replace those damaged and destroyed. To a tavern keeper for the food that keeps me going after chasing off the bandits. Without all of you, we would not be as I am.

The adventurers need the town as much as the town may need us and that is what we all need to think about. We are no different that them in spirit, we all have a calling in life and a job to do and none of us are better that each other. We are as equal as the spirit that dwells within us and if we can talk things out we should. I for one would like to start doing that more often.

Together, Town and Adventurer alike we can move through these troubled times and prevail over the evil that wrongs us.

For a united wayside,

Eldandiril Zanabanath

Ambassador Zanabanath,

It is good to see you embracing more of the tenets of the Brotherhood. We will all be better for it.

Brother Eric Marsters
Brotherhood of the Light

Brotha Marsters,

Ya be a man who I onla met once, but I am dhink dhat ya 'ave a good 'ead on ya shoulda...stop putt'n dhat 'ead on someone elses shouldas! Dhink fo ya self, be a memba of dha Brotha'hood but ADD TA IT! Done jus' take wat dhey give ya and change yaself tah dhat! I not really know dhis brotha'hood well but dhey seem like dhey do good dhings, so add ya good tah dhat, done jus' suck down dha milk dhe feed ya like a calf. Dhat jus' stupid.

Elle, dha seem like a good dhing tah do, an I am barely know most folk from Wayside but I be will'n tah fight mo an' be a betta person fo dha folk dhat live dhere afta hear'n ya words and dhat of dha Beacon Lady.

-Hengin

Kevar said:
Brotha Marsters,

Ya be a man who I onla met once, but I am dhink dhat ya 'ave a good 'ead on ya shoulda...stop putt'n dhat 'ead on someone elses shouldas! Dhink fo ya self, be a memba of dha Brotha'hood but ADD TA IT! Done jus' take wat dhey give ya and change yaself tah dhat! I not really know dhis brotha'hood well but dhey seem like dhey do good dhings, so add ya good tah dhat, done jus' suck down dha milk dhe feed ya like a calf. Dhat jus' stupid.

Elle, dha seem like a good dhing tah do, an I am barely know most folk from Wayside but I be will'n tah fight mo an' be a betta person fo dha folk dhat live dhere afta hear'n ya words and dhat of dha Beacon Lady.

-Hengin

Hengin,

Why is it such a problem to point out those ideals I believe in, in others? Why is that commonality such a problem? I'm not a mindless drone, a simple footsoldier. I work as an attache for a lieutenant in the Brotherhood. If you wish to talk about this more, though, I welcome the discussion tomorrow night.

Brother Eric Marsters
Brotherhood of the Light

Brother Marsters, I would very much like to hear more on your ideals and those of your brotherhood, if you are open to speaking of such.

-Thud

Back