The Case for Bringing Back Corrupt as an NPC-only ability

I really like Corrupt as-is, personally, and I don't see a reason to make it NPC-Only if it maintains all of its Necromancy goodness. Pretty much any NPC Necromancer intended to be a major threat is going to pack at least one of them, and a however-wide Earth column of other nastiness; I feel like making it NPC-Only is just going to make any Corrupts that would normally be put into that column get turned into Deaths instead, which kind of runs counter to the "PC hit by it still gets to play" intention?

On a semi-related note, Corrupt pauses the death timer, so you technically have up to 10 minutes to take them down (the duration of the effect), plus 5 minutes after that to Life them. (Page 44 of the .10 packet, for reference.)

-

Last edited:
OH! I totally misunderstood that, sorry. You're saying keep the old "die, raise as Undead, can't use Life to revert"-style that Corrupt was when first introduced, yes?

I'll go the other way. Shatter spirit should be removed from the game, and obliterate limited to only being able to be cast as a full on ritual, never thrown or spellstruck as dragon magic.

The things that require these to make big fights scary are gone under .10. Ensure Res effects are going to do just that, because the defensive stacks are gone for everybody but formalists.

I'll go the other way. Shatter spirit should be removed from the game, and obliterate limited to only being able to be cast as a full on ritual, never thrown or spellstruck as dragon magic.

The things that require these to make big fights scary are gone under .10. Ensure Res effects are going to do just that, because the defensive stacks are gone for everybody but formalists.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the only way to avoid one of these is a dodge or spell parry correct?
Edit: And spell parry won't save you If it's arcane?

-

Last edited:
Nah, you put in "the 0.9 version" right there in the post, I just seem to have skipped that when I was reading it the first time.

I'm going to still keep my opinion that it shouldn't be a new NPC-Only effect; it was changed after a lot of people gave feedback on how much they didn't care for it without the death timer pause, so I think even if only used sparingly by Plot teams it would get a lot of complaints any time they hauled it out.

I think Enslavement is fine for what you're suggesting; I don't feel that Enslavement Antidote are particularly hard to come by if your chapter has any semi-accomplished Alchemists (9 ranks, or 5 with a Workshop), plus I almost feel like if Plot is going to toss Enslavement at you, they also have the responsibility to put either the Recipe for the Antidote out that event, or 1-3 Antidotes to it as loot, and that failure to put out the remedy to a more or less permanent effect is either intentionally malicious or unintentionally poorly implemented. :/

-

Last edited:
Those are both fair points.

It might be because I don't see a lot of those effects in our chapter that I don't see the need to put in something between Enslavement and Shatter Spirit, at least not a new NPC-Only thing? Corrupt as-is feels dangerous enough (depending on the target, obviously; it's basically a wasted effect on my PC, but could be insanely dangerous if it hits certain PCs in our chapter), and I'm not sure the complaints involved in introducing a stronger effect that runs simultaneous to death timers (Amnesia is the only other effect I can think of with a timer that runs concurrently?) is worth it. (I realise "what about the complaints?" is generally a bad reason to avoid things, but there are things about this idea that bother me that I can't seem to accurately put into words in a way that doesn't make me sound like I've just landed a spaceship from Jupiter.)

Ensuring that the PCs have the ability to fix it next logistics falls under my personal interpretation of putting the remedy in the hands of PCs, so we don't disagree that "Enslavement goes out" inherently has to mean "Enslavement Antidotes go out", only that I think plot is under an obligation to ensure "the PCs have a way of getting their hands on an Enslavement Antidote, even if they have to track down the Journeyman Alchemist and threaten bodily harm for them to make one; here's an NPC with the recipe, kids, log is in 5 hours, play nice". :p

I dislike Enslavement for the same reasons I dislike Love 9. Long term abilities to let someone else define how a player plays have both potential for abuse and a reasonable chance of just straight up not being fun. 10 minute command effects aren't a big deal that way, but something long term is ripe for it.

This is, as I recall, a big part of why Biata and Stone Elf mind abilities have right of player refusal built in.

I don’t believe the rules can prohibit a Delivery for Effects, as Plot can use whatever Delivery Plot wants.

I don’t believe the rules can prohibit a Delivery for Effects, as Plot can use whatever Delivery Plot wants.

The rules at present may not do so, but this is absolutely a thing that can be pushed top-down as a cultural decision from the Owners.

What the heck is the point in a game where GFC is a thing?

GFC should, in theory, have a defined effect listed on the card that it is capable of performing.

That said, it's one of the only things that's ever made me consider walking out mid-game.

I'm probably about to sound really ignorant, but I for the life of me don't know what GFC means in this context?

I took it to mean Greater Fey Curse, which has sometimes been treated as 'do whatever you want:the spell'

The one that made me take the evening off was one that caused my character to be incapable of using anything edged.

My ~120 build Sarr Scout.

Last edited:
Ah! That makes sense. :) Also, pardon my language, but WTF kind of nonsense curse was that?! That'd the point I pull a big smile, with gritted teeth, and say, "Let's try that again, shall we?"

I went for a walk, because it wasn't their fault I didn't have an answer to it in an APL-25 or so game, and I don't like getting angry OOG over IG stuff. Anecdote aside, though, that is why I don't like having that sort of thing in the rules in the first place.

I clearly didn't quit. Others might have, and may never have given feedback as to why.

-

Last edited:
Back